Nugget Shooter Forums

FINDING A "CAN OF GOLD"

bcache

My wife, AJ, and I tent camped a four month stretch during Summer/Fall of 2009 only going back to town to hose the dust off and replenish supplies...mostly beer and ice. We put in more than a few miles hiking, exploring and panning. I Found enough gold to buy new tires for my truck.

What really interested me was metal detecting. I didn't know squat about the machines or when, where and how to use them. So I researched and became proficient at reading and potentially good at finding lead, brass, nails, etc.. I also kept notes regarding spots that might be good for detecting. All I needed now was a machine. To this end I gave up time and mental health by working the graveyard shift at Wally-World.

By spring 2010 I had my LST. I went out a few times and dug enough junk to see that when, where and how was not all that easy...seemed like the more I learned the less I knew. When the weather got less miserable we headed out to the place that looked good for the search with Kate, my daughter, and her boyfriend, Jim in tow. After warming up on a few spots we set out to an old, extensive camp site about 2 miles from our camp. I liked this spot because there was a narrow access road leading from the camp up to the main mining road. Might be a good place to pick up a dropped and lost treasure like a coin.

We started at the camp where we dug up horse shoes, shovels, broken picks, nails...could have started a scrap iron yard. Since I'm half deaf and did not have earphones I set "all metal"/max. sensitivity and gave the LST to Jim. We were sure making one hell of a racket. We worked our way up, off the sides and right on the access road finding fewer targets as we went. We went maybe ten minutes without signal then got a maximum decibel screech. We debated a little thinking horse shoe but that didn't stop us from digging...could always use another horse shoe. We dug down a fer piece. I forgot to point out the LST pinpointing feature so we missed the can by a few inches. It fell out from the side of the hole. There was something rattling around in the can. Jim had looked for gold before with no success... his hands were shaking imagining the improbable. Who would bury rocks way out here in the middle of a road? I took one of the bigger chunks and handed it to him, proclaimed it to be indeed gold and proceded to jump up and down high fiving. Contents: 7.85oz

post-23855-0-52445900-1298215904_thumb.j

My wife, AJ, and I tent camped a four month stretch during Summer/Fall of 2009 only going back to town to hose the dust off and replenish supplies...mostly beer and ice. We put in more than a few miles hiking, exploring and panning. I Found enough gold to buy new tires for my truck.

What really interested me was metal detecting. I didn't know squat about the machines or when, where and how to use them. So I researched and became proficient at reading and potentially good at finding lead, brass, nails, etc.. I also kept notes regarding spots that might be good for detecting. All I needed now was a machine. To this end I gave up time and mental health by working the graveyard shift at Wally-World.

By spring 2010 I had my LST. I went out a few times and dug enough junk to see that when, where and how was not all that easy...seemed like the more I learned the less I knew. When the weather got less miserable we headed out to the place that looked good for the search with Kate, my daughter, and her boyfriend, Jim in tow. After warming up on a few spots we set out to an old, extensive camp site about 2 miles from our camp. I liked this spot because there was a narrow access road leading from the camp up to the main mining road. Might be a good place to pick up a dropped and lost treasure like a coin.

We started at the camp where we dug up horse shoes, shovels, broken picks, nails...could have started a scrap iron yard. Since I'm half deaf and did not have earphones I set "all metal"/max. sensitivity and gave the LST to Jim. We were sure making one hell of a racket. We worked our way up, off the sides and right on the access road finding fewer targets as we went. We went maybe ten minutes without signal then got a maximum decibel screech. We debated a little thinking horse shoe but that didn't stop us from digging...could always use another horse shoe. We dug down a fer piece. I forgot to point out the LST pinpointing feature so we missed the can by a few inches. It fell out from the side of the hole. There was something rattling around in the can. Jim had looked for gold before with no success... his hands were shaking imagining the improbable. Who would bury rocks way out here in the middle of a road? I took one of the bigger chunks and handed it to him, proclaimed it to be indeed gold and proceded to jump up and down high fiving. Contents: 7.85oz

Don't forget to check that hole!

What a GREAT story! :thumbsupanim Terry

Don't forget to check that hole!

Doug, there is more to this story but I thought it was long enough. It took me few hours to narrow it down...didn't want to put anybody to sleep while reading it.

I went back to the hole 3 times and filled my backpack with material from in the hole along with the material I removed. That can had been there a long time and was full of holes. I figured that some gold had fallen out. I humped the loads 2 mi to my camp and panned out about 0.6oz. Pretty sure I got it all.

Bill C

A great find and a great story! I enjoyed it very much!

The old roads are my favorite places to look. You can always find old tools and coins that rattled out of the old flivers. And a heck of a lot of stuff has been lost out of saddlebags and from old buckboards. And when treasure lands in the road it usually gets pushed down into the mud by the tires and hooves. There is just no telling what you might find in an old trail in a mining area!

Doug, there is more to this story but I thought it was long enough. It took me few hours to narrow it down...didn't want to put anybody to sleep while reading it.

I went back to the hole 3 times and filled my backpack with material from in the hole along with the material I removed. That can had been there a long time and was full of holes. I figured that some gold had fallen out. I humped the loads 2 mi to my camp and panned out about 0.6oz. Pretty sure I got it all.

Bill C

Great, glad it was worth checking but surprised that you didn't recover more with the can falling apart and all. Gives hope to the masses.

Wow, the story alone is worth a fortune. That's a true find of a life time. Way to go!

Wow, that doesn't happen every day, find of a lifetime as others have said, the person who lost that stash I bet kicked themselves for apparently being unable to find it again.

Bill, you've experienced what we all dream of experiencing while out prospecting, revelle in that forever!! I have had hundreds of cans of gold out in the desert but they are all of the "liquid gold" variety..typically buried in a few inches of ice.

• Like 1

Bill, you've experienced what we all dream of experiencing while out prospecting, revelle in that forever!! I have had hundreds of cans of gold out in the desert but they are all of the "liquid gold" variety..typically buried in a few inches of ice.

:hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha:

post-22152-0-81204800-1298313506_thumb.j

:whaaaa: :inocent: :yuk-yuk: Terry

Bill C

Wow!!! I've read stories about digging 10 ounce nuggets from a road, but nugget cache? Great find...

• 1 year later...

This is truly such an amazing story I had to bring it up one more time. Not sure how I missed it, as I lurked here quite a bit before I joined this place. This is a very good reason to dig everything for sure.