Nugget Shooter Forums

Windy Afternoon

Jayray

Howdy Folks,

Well since I could not go meteorite hunting with those going to Franconia, I decided to take the kids and brave the wind, since the rain stopped, to look for fossils in the local area. I went to an area just on the city limits if Las Vegas and hunted in some Pre-Cambrian shale. We couldn't find any trilobites or anything else really cool but did find some past plant life. Mainly ferns,but still cool nonetheless. Here are a few pics. Enjoy, Jason. ;)

DSC07479.jpg

DSC07478.jpg

DSC07480.jpg

DSC07481.jpg

Patrick, according to the time period somewhere are 542 million years old. But just a swag. They are actaully imprints and not fossilized which would be way cooler. The real material has been gone for some time,but left a cool imprint in the shale. We dug around for a few hours, only to find these on the way back to the truck. It was a fun time with the kids, and that's what counts.

Skip, for sure. I wish I could have found a few other fossils to go with the garden.

Jason ;)

Hi Jayray- Really nice finds. :thumbsupanim Didn't know Las Vegas even had any Pre-Cambrian rocks in that area. :hmmmmm: I learn something everyday. No doubt those are fossil imprints. But one time at a local club rock show, we had a guy selling dendrites as fossils. Amazing how they look so similar. :shrug:

http://minerals.caltech.edu/FILES/DENDRITE/Index.html

Steve

Steve and Johnno, well I guess I was the one to learn something. They sure had me fooled thinking it was a fossil :grr01: . But I would have to say it does look like those Manganese Dendrites. That would explain a lot, since there was a lot of iron-rich red layers of soil in the area we were in. There was a lot of shale deposits too, whic we looked at but didn't have a good chisel or rock hammer. Thanks for the input... and ID. Jason ;)

G'Day Jason

Don't feel bad, back in my early days when I was knee high to a grasshopper, I was collecting fossils at a frenzied rate. I came across a great diversity of fossilized shells that you don't see these days and then I came across what I thought was fossilized ferns. I was beside myself. No person in their right mind would try to convince me that they weren't fossilized ferns, but as time went on, I realized they were dendrites.

But they are a very fascinating thing and very convincing at show and tell. But I'm waiting for you to post the next find of a T-Rex. With your determination, it's not far away.

Cheers mate

Johnno

P.S. Keep on collecting

Steve and Johnno, well I guess I was the one to learn something. They sure had me fooled thinking it was a fossil :grr01: . But I would have to say it does look like those Manganese Dendrites. That would explain a lot, since there was a lot of iron-rich red layers of soil in the area we were in. There was a lot of shale deposits too, whic we looked at but didn't have a good chisel or rock hammer. Thanks for the input... and ID. Jason ;)

Hi Jason-

I really thought they were fern fossils also since you mentioned the pre cambrian shale but after looking at them closer, I think those are probably the dreaded dendrites. :aw-shucks: I can certainly relate to Johnno about his childhood exploits as something similar happened to me also. So it is a learning experience.

No doubt there's fossils in Nevada someplace. I would bet if contacted the geology dept at a local university, they might know of some fossil hotspots around where you live where you can collect.

Maybe you'll find a new species or something. ;)

Steve

Steve, the area I was in actually has fossils there (The Great Unconformity in Las Vegas), but I guess they are minimal. Trilobites are supposed to be there too, but not in complete pieces. The shale we looked at was looking good, but it was a bit much for my 7 yrs. to handle the wind and the digging on a slope. We had fun and even though they are not ferns, they still are pretty cool to look at. Jason ;)