Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug523

Gold Rush Alaska???

What sort of skimming through the channels and come across these oregonians selling all to work a claim in porcupine creek. :lol: I am an amateur but these guys don't have a lick of common sense. The claim owner should have booted them off. Wonder how much discovery channel is paying them. At least it idenifies what not to do! :hahaha:

Doug

Doug,

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsupanim

Yes the guys on that show have a lot to learn that for sure, but I think a lot of the turmoil and seeming lack of knowledge on that show to due to the scripting of the characters and hopefully this show won't turn the unknowing public against what we do as gold prospectors.

Skip

I think Friday coming up is the final episode :grin:

I think Friday coming up is the final episode :grin:

season 2 is in the falll. they made it down 60 feet but were snowed off the claim.

so its ok for a politician to leave a zinc mine slag heap almost half a mile high and call himself an eco warrior.

its alright for Corporations to mine away mountains and dig pits miles in diameter.

reseaRCH TEXACOS PITS THEY LEFT IN SOUTH AMERICA FULL OF A TAR LIKE SUBSTANCEthat wont break down.

all those fellows have done is burnt a few hundred gallons of diesel.

in a way there explorers, and by the end of the show they have become prospectors.

the government is closing down access to access to blm lands to stop the small man getting anything. go after the big shots and corporationsand leave the ordinary folk alone. i guess there closing our access to leave it to corporations to claim all the lands.

it sure wasnt a bunch of eco warriors that made this country great but they will be the ones to drag it to its nees.

and i say best of luck to those lads and i hope they hit the glory hole in season 2

They are a bunch of dangerous idiots, but they are learning from way to many mistakes. It's kind of fun to watch and is the only TV show I have ever screamed ( foul language) at the TV over and Mrs El Dorado keeps telling me to calm down it's only TV. Well, when the pres is on the TV I do the same but that is different......

Anything I'd have to say would only point out the obvious. :eee:

Maybe next season some of them will display a little bit

of wisdom learned from the experiance.

Hope, for their sake, that they picked up some kinda clue. :tisk-tisk:

Been there done that--just look hard at those last few minutes as the idjets haul anus outta there. Equipment abandoned and NOT winterized properly--or at all. Spring will show the REAL carnage the AK winters can really wreak. Pipes fulla water busted,roofs collapsed,equipment ruined by hard steel busting freezes,hoses busted,oil in engines hard as a rock and must tear apart to remove. COLD requires much experience-look back when the idjets were trying to bumb pumps at the neighbors camp COMPLETELY properly winterized for protection but these dummies NOT-- :wacko:

I can't get the show down here but one of the news networks said they shot a bear just to make it look good

for their show...

A lot of people give them a lot of crap.. but you know you all would love to be there. They are all rookies so it make for good TV. The more they mess up the more rating they get. Most of all the drama is scripted in these shows and the producers put there reactions from other situations and put them where they want. I watch it for the Gold. the gold for me is the star of the show. I just wanna see how much they pull out of that area.

:*&$*(: be there with them :nono: I'd a broken tooooooo many shovels on stupid rock hard stubborn heads. MINE with intelligent folks only,plan,plan,plan and then plan some more---John

I can't get the show down here but one of the news networks said they shot a bear just to make it look good

for their show...

garimpo

they showed the first show # 1 last sunday here in costa rica. check and see if its on discovery channel.

bill-cr

I read a article written by the dude that was kicked off the claim. And he says the show is completely scripted. And that they spend a lot of time reenacting scenes. That show will definitely make you swear. I wouldn't be surprised if they peppered the sluice to make it look good.

Another in a long stream of artificial-reality TV shows. I do a pretty passable imitation of "No guts, no glory!" That old fart is plain dangerous to be around!

I woulda went in a lot smaller to start and did the big equipment thing in stages. Now they're all in way too deep if it doesn't pan out. I'm sure the TV payment amortized a lot of the equipment. But just wild willy-nilly prospecting on what amounts to a guess where the gold should be seems kinda destined to fail.

Meanwhile, the soft-spoken and wise neighbor oughta be the subject of the "how to find gold" TV series. Not much drama there, though!

-Ed

I,am glad i,am not the only one screeming at the TV, say what you want they are green and learn a little bit every day,of course it is scripted it is TV, it looks like they will break even at least, i hope they make it,I also how they winterized everything but they aint going to sahow that on TV boring........

Have some placer gold for sell? Give the producers a call...might get a good price from them. They are going to need a load of placer gold(unless they use plated lead) for when they hit the scripted Glory Hole fantasy. This will at the ending of the show when a five gallon bucket of gold is displayed. The stooges with a big smile will be holding large nuggets in each hand.

All is well that ends well. Everybody can now sit back and feel warm all over. See! Fairy tales can come true.

I ran into a guy that was up on Porcupine Creek when they were taping. He said there was a Wendy's on the other side of the creek and every time they couldn't find someone, they were over at Wendy's. Who knows if it's true???? Dave

LOL a Wendy's. Check the creek out on google earth. its a little ways from civilization. Everyone has got to remember, this show has over 70 million viewers on friday alone and that doesnt include the millions of people who record it on tivo and watch it later.. so they must be doing something right. You see the machinery they are buying for next season? Discovery defiantly gave them a bit of money! :D Next season is gunna be the one too watch. With that many people who watched this season, Discovery will make the next season even better. I hope they leave porcupine creek for good and try that virgin ground in the UK. Its gunna be pretty interesting. I don't care who puts the show down and calls them idiots and what not, you know your gunna be watching.

When I google earth porcupine creek, ak, google takes me to a porcupine creek deep in the interior of Ak.

This is not the Porcupine Creek where they are located in the show.

If you recall, they often drive out to Haines, AK which is on the coast of ALaska at the top of the Inside Passage, only Skagway is farther north on the passage.

I worked a sawmill in Haines in the '70s, and I can tell you Porcupine Ck must be a tributary of the Chilkat river that empties into the sea at Haines.

If you drive North out of Haines, you enter the Yukon Territory in less than an hour, if memory serves, and this whole area is as wild as it gets.

More bears per square inch than any place I ever was, with the possible exception of Terminal camp in Valdez, Ak.

You want the ultimate picture postcard of a Winter time scene, go to Haines in Nov-Dec sometime.

Gott'a be great though. Drop two hundred fifty thousand dollars, mortgage the house, rob the kids college fund, borrow twenty five thousand dollars from your sister all for gold prospecting... and a T.V. show bails you out for season two and underwrites the whole thing. Not sure if that has anything to do with "reality" though. Don't see how they can call that a Reality Show.

I enjoyed the prospecting part of the show, but they can keep all the scripted, high-anxiety

social issues. No need for that in a "reality" setting, as people are a bit more mature

than that (in most cases..lol). I also think they gleaned a whole lot more gold out

of that hole than they confessed to, but it made better TV for them not to.

My first post on the site (been lurking a couple days). Pleasure to meet you all.. :miner:

Mike

I enjoyed the prospecting part of the show, but they can keep all the scripted, high-anxiety

social issues. No need for that in a "reality" setting, as people are a bit more mature

than that (in most cases..lol). I also think they gleaned a whole lot more gold out

of that hole than they confessed to, but it made better TV for them not to.

My first post on the site (been lurking a couple days). Pleasure to meet you all.. :miner:

Mike

I sort of thought the same thing... I am still very much a beginner, but I would like to think I could have invested $5000 drove up there for a couple months and hiked up the feeder creek they were getting their water out of or some other in the area with a backpack dredge and brought home more gold than they did investing a quarter mil and that many mens time for 3 or 4 months... If nothing else, I would have put some of my free time I was not working with the group into wandering around with a detector!

After watching the extra episode where Dakota Fred tells them he is working Porcupine next season with his own crew, I was a little bummed, I was really wanting to see how much of their hole gets filled in over the winter (or from the spring thaw). But it sounds like they must have made plenty from the show, because season 2 is going to be in the Yukon and from the new equipment they were looking at, instead of just a quarter mil., it's going to be closer to another half to maybe even a mil. invested for the new location next season...