Nugget Shooter Forums

Possible New Fall-Need help

First of all, I just realized I misspelled my awesome screen name. Anyways, My wife and I were watching the evening news last night here in Philadelphia and there were reports of a possible meteorite fall. One of the local news anchormen said that he saw it from the philadelphia airport. The news also mentioned that it was reported from New Jersey and New york. Has anyone here heard about this possible fall? There is an half a foot of snow on the ground and it is melting fast. I want to get the rare earth magnets out but I have no idea where to search. Any help would be great. Thanks

never said i was going to chase it down...i said i was looking for info. what are the chances that the meteor exploded and traveled in several directions, chances are high. I think eye witnesses are more credible that doppler geeks. are you a geek or are u ignorant? :olddude:

i'm awsomely awsome,

Re-Read the first reply to your Post. There is a link there you may have missed that gives coordinates that Del provided. The radar folks do in fact depend on witness statements to begin their search through the data to determine direction and angle of approach.

There is a book called Rocks From Space that you might want to consider reading. It gives the basic fundamentals on searching and the math behinds it which is basic geometry and trig. You can buy the book or order it from a library...or they might just have it if big enough. My library had to order it for me and I read it twice over a 12 week period. One of these days, I'll probably buy it. Some of the dealers on this list may be able to provide you with the book.

Regards,

Jim

http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org

Del

Well I guess on every board you have so-called experts that know everything there is, and they just love running off anybody they think might find something other than their self, the guy asked a question, and you the so-called expert, if that is what you want to be called, told him point-blank to get lost, give everybody a break.

Everybody started out the same way asking question, I run a board for craps players here in Vegas, any question is treated with the utmost respect, what the hell Del did you have a bad day, or don't you want anybody else out there looking for meteorites?

You use to be a nice kid, what the hell happened? Has this gone to your head that you found a few meteorites? Lighten up there are still plenty meteorites out there to be found, hell they are falling everyday.

Thanks Jim you said it the nice way, I'm just getting to old for that any more.

Dell I hope you get your head back on straight, it would earn you a lot more respect..!

Rick

I agree. Del has decided to pontificate several times with me and has acted like a know it all on many occasions. It is not that he does not know his stuff it is the attitude. No one likes to be spoken down to. But it seems that he likes to do that for some reason. I dont really think it has anything to do with meteorites, but small stones might play into the equation.

Just sayin.

I agree. Del has decided to pontificate several times with me and has acted like a know it all on many occasions. It is not that he does not know his stuff it is the attitude. No one likes to be spoken down to. But it seems that he likes to do that for some reason. I dont really think it has anything to do with meteorites, but small stones might play into the equation.

Just sayin.

So, I was hunting meteorites the other day with a few friends. I was teaching them on how to do a line search.:eee: While we were searching, I yelled out, "Look at that dead bird over there." Two of my friends looked up!:yuk-yuk: Do you think there is any hope for them? :hahaha:

Smoke'em if you've got'em!

Jim - thinking about the upcoming hunt and that honkin meteorite I am going to find!!!

I just read this and Del may come off as abrupt but I sure don’t see him as being rude. Technical people are often abrupt but that is just their nature. I am also a technical person and often have to rewrite my stuff to be less abrupt. If you reread the post the first stone was not thrown until post #5 and it was not by Del. Name calling should never be tolerated and you cannot expect a pleasant reply if you start calling names.

Now lets be a little diplomatic and get back to the topic at hand.

never said i was going to chase it down...i said i was looking for info. what are the chances that the meteor exploded and traveled in several directions, chances are high. I think eye witnesses are more credible that doppler geeks. are you a geek or are u ignorant? :olddude:

i'm awsomelt awsome,

As a forum member I would like to welcome you to the forum!! :thumbsupanim

As a Moderator I would like to ask you to not be hasty in your replies to others that may not give you what you seek as far as info, and not "read" anything into others posts that is not there.

I read your initial post last night and not being an expert on meteorites and new falls I did a little internet searching and the only info I found showed about what Dell posted that the possible meteorite seemed to have landed in the Atlantic, I only found one reference to that and it had no date so I didn't post the link, but Dell's link seems to collaborate that as well but also doesn't confirm that is the fact, I'm sure there will be more info in the coming days as if indeed this was a meteorite or not and also where it landed.

Please continue to be an active member here as there are a great many knowledgeable members here.

Skip

I just got home and was surprised to see how many forum members posted. I will tell you what set me off with this guy, it was his laughing icon coupled with his condescending response. I thought that this type of forum would be perfect for my question and this guy should not be a first responder for new members. there are obviously quality people here based on what i read today. i don't plan on posting much but this site is obviously a resource.

I just got home and was surprised to see how many forum members posted. I will tell you what set me off with this guy, it was his laughing icon coupled with his condescending response. I thought that this type of forum would be perfect for my question and this guy should not be a first responder for new members. there are obviously quality people here based on what i read today. i don't plan on posting much but this site is obviously a resource.

I can see where the smiley could of rubbed you the wrong way, but everything just escalates when responding to such things, ignoring such responses is much better than getting into a feud which tend to make the rest of your day go sour.

Thanks for joining the forum!

Skip

skip, i appreciate your response and i see that you have a christian attitude. you are right, i should not respond to such things but my excuse is, was born and raised in los angeles, played football and i am in my 30's. you are obviously an an older gentleman and i thank for your wise words and will consider them the next time i encounter a T.R.

Hi all

First I like to see a profile with no holds barred. At least a state, and at least an e-mail to respond to. Who cares about your age or what ever. Get real and ask for help to find the specimen of you dreams. These guys and girls will help and provide you with the coords to make your hunt the best possible. We have lost something here. Be honest and ask for help in finding your first piece of the Meteorite world. There are countless people on this list that will help all new people to find that one specimen that will change their life and make the hunt a remarkable experience.

Wayne

IAA, first and foremost welcome to the forum! This forum is dedicated to the exploration and education of talking about meteorites and most things related to falling object from space. As a moderator too, I have taken the liberty to purge some of the banter and clean up the posts. Jim pointed out a very good insight about 'Rocks from Space' and I will post an additional listing of publications to start for wanting to hunt for and explore meteorites. A whole host of people that monitor the forum have been on some amazing hunts, spent thousands of dollars searching for those elusive rocks and came back with nothing to show for, but an empty back account. Nonetheless, a better response to your question was probably in order. The information that Del was trying to provide has been proven in the past to be very accurate for determining the location of suspected falls. Granted, there is a possibility that a stone or two may have landed where it could be retrieved, but for the most part if those in the know say it's lost, then it probably is. It doesn't hurt to sift through the data, and maps to really get a feel for where it might have landed , if in fact it did land. I hope this encounter doesn't sway your interest in the hobby and by no means represents the whole of the forum. Each individual is different about their approach to finding, hunting and locating said meteorites and everyone has something of value to add. Again welcome to the forum, Jason. ;)

Meteorite Resource Reference List

Cambridge Encyclopedia of Meteorites, O Richard Norton, 2002, Cambridge Press, 354 pg

Good information that is well organized by the master

Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites, O Richard Norton, 2008 Springer, 288 pg

Great reference from classifications to hunting to handlens/microscope viewing

Rocks From Space, O Richard Norton, 1994, 1998 Mountain Press Pub, 444 pg

One of my favorite books, one to which I often return

Meteorites, Hutchison & Graham, 1993 Sterling Publishing, NY, 60 pg

Good pictures and information, I donate copies to science classes I visit

Falling Stars, Mike Reynolds, 2001 Stackpole Books, PA, 148 pg

Like the subtitle says, its a Guide to Meteors and Meteorites

Meteorites - Their Impact on Science and History, edited by Zanda & Rotaru, 1996 Cambridge University Press, 128 pg

Great color pictures, very informative

Meteorites, Alain Carion, self-published, 36 pg

Short B/W printing with nice photos and good information

Thunderstones and Shooting Stars, Robert T Dodd, 1986, Harvard Press, 196 pg

Good pictures and information, some dated or obsolete

Santa Lucia Meteorite Fall, McCartney Taylor, 2009 self published 62 pg

Great story of meteorite hunting in Argentina

Find a Falling Star, Harvey Nininger, 1972, Erikson, 254 pg

Autobiography of Americaʻs first meteorite hunter

Meteorites from A to Z, Jenson, Jenson, Black, 2004 self published, 276 pg

Great reference for falls and finds

The Handbook of Colorado Meteorites, Matt Morgan, 2000 CO Geo Survey, 40 pg

Compilation & pictures of the meteorites of Colorado

Meteorites and Their Parent Planets, Harry McSween, 1999 Cambridge Press, 312 pg

Good book on meteorites and where they come from

The Meteorite & Tektite Collectors Handbook, Philip Bagnall, 1991 WIllman-Bell, 160 pg

Somewhat dated, but good source of information

Tektites - A Cosmic Enigma, Hal Provenmire, 2003 self published, 210 pg

Comprehensive book on the different tektites, strewnfields and theories of origin

Meteorites and the Origin of Planets, John Wood, 1968 McGraw-Hill, 118 pg

A lot of valid information in this dated book

Tucson Meteorites, Richard Willey, 1987 Smithsonian Press, 46 pg

A history of the Tucson Ring meteorite

The Port Orford, Oregon Meteorite Mystery, Roy S Clarke, 1993 Smithsonian Press, 42 pg

Great story of an even greater hoax

The Fallen Sky, Christopher Cokinos, 2009 Penguin Books, 518 pg

Story weaves history, science and the authorʻs life in an engaging manner

Meteorites - A Journey Through Time and Space, Bevan & DeLaeter, 2002, Univ So Wales Press, 216 pg

Beautiful book, good information in an easy to read format

Meteorites - Their Structure, Composition and Terrestrial Relations, Oliver Cummings Farrington, 1915 self published, 226 pg

Obviously dated, but a good read of period meteoritics

Meteorite Craters, Kathleen Mark, 1987, UA Press, 288 pg

Good book on impact craters around the world

Meteorite Hunter, Roy Gallant, 2002 McGraw-Hill, 232 pg

Stories of Tunguska, Sikhote Alin, Chinga, Pallas, Tsarev and more

The Mystery of the Tunguska Fireball, Surendra Verma, 2005 Icon Books, 278 pg

Investigation of the 1908 fireball in Siberia

The Day the Sky Split Apart, Roy Gallant, 1995 Simon & Schuster, 156 pg

Good book for young adults on the Tunguska event

T Rex and the Crater of Doom, Walter Alvarez, 1997 Princeton Univ Press, 186 pg

Giant impact kills off dinosaurs 65 million years ago

Man and Impact on the Americas, E P Grondine, 1998 self published, 466 pg

The effects of asteroid and comet impacts on man throughout the ages

Wow so far in this topic I've been called a "geek" and that "I'm ignorant". Then I was called a "know it all that runs people off". Then someone said that "small stones" might play into the equation that I'm a "know it all" and to top it off I was threatened. I tried helping somebody out and somehow I'm coming out as the a$%hole in all this?

I'll start off by first admitting yeah I was a little bit of a smarta$% towards Awesome and I did that for a reason. He started this topic out as an innocent "help me please" post and I responded with the best info avalable (that I know of) at this time for that particular event. He questioned the link since he felt some locals had seen the fireball go the other direction and unfortunately this is where it went sour. I threw a little bit of sarcasm his way because I already knew what his posts were leading up to and that was the "I know more than you" chest beating pissing contest and I made an attempt to put a stop to it.

I've been down this road with people before and I'm too familiar with the outcome. In the past I've gotten several emails from people asking for meteorite identification and when I informed them that what they had wasn't a meteorite they refused to believe me and checked me off as an idiot because they were hell bent on believing what they had found is a meteorite. This is the exact same situation we have here only a possibly new strewnfield that is most likely under water is the main topic. Awesome seems to believe that maybe some meteorites might have fallen out of the area where they most likley fell in. This is why I told him to go ahead search for them and let us know how he did knowing most likely he'd be spinning his wheels.

Unfortunately sometimes these situations can escalate into childish name calling and threats which is exactly what Awesome did. His name calling and threats are nothing new to me because I've come to the conclusion that people are going to believe what they to want regardless if you have pointed them in the right direction.

As for the other posts (minus the people trying to get this topic back on subject) I'm a little shocked with some of the responses some people have made. One in particular is you Rick after I helped you out so much in the past.

Bedrock Bob's response is no surprise because I challenged him a few months back about some finds he claimed to have made and he's obviously still a little torqued over that. Bob if you have a problem with me go ahead and shoot me a pm and we'll work it out.

Sheesh guys I didn't know I was such a tyrant. Casey points out something I never really thought about but he seems to get it. Yes I do do a lot of technical writing and sometimes when I write it can sound rather harsh especially on a forum like this where it's very easy to misinterpret something. I'll admit sometimes in my posts I can come across as rather harsh and that's because I'm just not the best at sugar coating anything I write. It doesn't mean mean I'm trying make a personal attack on anybody or that I'm trying to speak to you in a condescending manner.

I come to this forum to learn about gold and meteorites and I try to help people out with the little bit of knowledge I've learned from hunting in the field. I am by no means an expert at meteorite hunting nor have I ever claimed to be one. I've never made any attempt what-so-ever to discourage anybody from hunting meteorites and I can honestly say I've probably helped more people out than most. Heck a few weeks ago I ran into a mother and her son on a dry lake bed looking for meteorites and I showed them everything. Ran them through what to look for and where to go and I even showed them some meteorites. After the day was over I even gave the kid a meteorite because I really wanted to encourage them to get into meteorite hunting.

So can someone please tell me who the d%$k is here? Is it the guy who just signed up on this forum and was unhappy with a response someone gave him and decided to call names and threaten people? Or is it the guy who's out there helping more people out in the field than most of you think?

I'm choosing to not take offense to the name calling and threats that were directed at me in this topic because I know it's pointless. If anyone here takes offense to something I might post in the future shoot me a PM and we'll talk about it because I'm always open for a good discussion.

Let's get back to what we all come here for and thats meteorite hunting.

Del

Hi Del and All,

What a read... This goes on at all forums and it shouldn't be worried over. Remember there are no emotions in type and smiles will ofter indicate the responders frame of mind during a post. Once ya get used to forums it gets easier, ya outta try running one :arrowheadsmiley:

Jason runs this forum for the most part and does a fine job... Sooooooo I seldom interject....

This forum is about education and one can still digest valuable information from a response whether the info comes from a fuzzy edge sword or one razor sharp...

You guys miss all the good stuff and you should see some of the insults and threats from my list as the forums owner... :ROFL:

Thicker skin is helpful to repel mosquitoes as well as forum insults :cigar:

I still love ya Del :rasberry: and the rest of ya too... :grin:

Well, I will defend Del a little...he did reply first and gave good info...Mr Awesome wanted to dispute the answer because his neighbors said something else...why even ask if you already have an answer that satisfies???

This isn't the first, nor will it be the last question asked, answered and then disputed by an un-informed expert...

However, inviting a person to leave the forum is the purview of Mr Southern and his "axemen" not any of the rest of us...

I suspect that threads similar to this are part of the reason why so many of the better meteorite hunters have quit posting...our loss.

so, that is my uninvited and not very humble opinion...

remember.............RESPECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!for everyone and their right to an opinion.

fred

However, inviting a person to leave the forum is the purview of Mr Southern and his "axemen" not any of the rest of us...

Hi Fred, I am confused by this statement... Guess cause I don't know what purview means :stupidrb: :yuk-yuk:

Anyway there are no evil "axemen" per say and Mike K. and I are the only "axemen" (I like that) with the power to actually delete a member which I do not do often... I think 3 in 12 years... The mods can un-approve or delete a post though and that is not done often. These issues raise up now and then at all forums and though a shame it is the norm.

There is allot said over the years or insults shared I thought out of line, but that is the nature of a forum and disagreements are healthy and educational if those involved do not resort to mud slinging. Even then only the offensive stuff that violates our guidelines is removed. I hate deleting anything for obvious reasons, but some stuff just gets...well...silly stupid to hear coming from adults :inocent:

But I sure will not take sides where I got no business... Neutral is good with guidelines to fall back on :inocent:

Oh, Bill;

me and the dictionary have been friends for many long years...where is your's? I could have said Henchmen, that would imply evil...axemen implies the ability and right to execute...of course you and your one little axeman can only banish and expel...but off with their heads is so much more...final.

Kidding aside; I think you and the moderators show extremely good judgement and great patience in your censorship.

with respect

Fred

Oh, Bill;

me and the dictionary have been friends for many long years...where is your's? I could have said Henchmen, that would imply evil...axemen implies the ability and right to execute...of course you and your one little axeman can only banish and expel...but off with their heads is so much more...final.

Kidding aside; I think you and the moderators show extremely good judgement and great patience in your censorship.

with respect

Fred

Hmmmmm I wonder if there is an "off with their head smiley"? And thanks Fred...