Nugget Shooter Forums

FIsher Gold Detectors?

rluckadoo

Just curious if any of you have experience using (or testing) any of the new models of the Fisher dedicated gold detectors???

After talking with several of you by PM regarding my needs for hiking a detector into my CA claims this summer, I really think the lighter, more portable Fisher detector, with the smaller batteries will better suit my needs. As I mentioned in my previous post, my claims are 1.5 hours from the closest power and 3 hours from a Walmart. We hike into the claims about two or so hours from where we leave the vehicle, and once in, don't come back out for a week or so at a time. Bedrock is really shallow and the nuggets are small. So, without power to recharge batteries, (I can pack in a week's worth of 9 volt batteries) and with shallow bedrock (exposed in many places), I believe the Fisher might be the best choice for this task.

Now, assuming that I am set to purchase a Fisher Gold detector, just wondering which might be the best to purchase? Do the newer models have anything (better features) on the older models? Any advise on models to steer away from.....? Anyone have one for sale?

Thanks for the input! Hopefully this will help others who might be in this quandry.

Robert

Frank, no I didn't know that. I honestly didn't know what type of batteries the GMT used. Not sure that I have ever seen a GMT in action? The folks who have them really like them though.

I just need something light in weight (for the hike in), that won't need to be recharged by AC or DC power source (replaceable batteries that I can pack in), and that will find small gold nuggets at fairly shallow depth. Would the GMT suit all these bills? I will need to take in enough batteries for a week at a time.

The Gold Bug 2 will also run about 40 hours on two 9 volt batteries. I have a GB2 with 10" coil available. If interested, PM me.

Goldbug Ron

Somebody here did a real nice conversion making the GMT lighter. Chest/neck mount the box and put the coil on a pole by itself....

Wish I know how to do it my self...weight for me is also a BIG issue...

'

Robert, you and I pm'd on this...I would recommend going with the older GB2 and 10" plus 6" coils...Learn to use the disc function and you will quickly be able to tell the difference between gold and all other metals, even lead...And in the Disc mode, the serpentine won't be a problem...Cheers, Unc

Robert, you and I pm'd on this...I would recommend going with the older GB2 and 10" plus 6" coils...Learn to use the disc function and you will quickly be able to tell the difference between gold and all other metals, even lead...And in the Disc mode, the serpentine won't be a problem...Cheers, Unc

I would also certainly recommend the older Gold Bug 2 with the 6 inch coil. Extremely sensitive to small bits. Make sure you use a good set of earphones as that will make a big difference too. Batteries would be no problem- 40-50 hours on a pair of 9 volters.

Steve

rluckado,

The main consensus to your reply here has been towards the Fisher gold bug from the guys.

However I will tell you that the Whites GMT is also a hell-of-a-detector for both tiny and large deep targets.

It will break down well for packing with its 3 piece shaft.

I have found gold so small you need a grain scale to weight.

Using the stock/standard elliptical coil she's a great detector.

I just can't say enough good about the GMT in one season alone I picked up over 60 tiny nuggets with it and several multi-gram pieces.

ebonbetta,

mentioned the conversion of a standard (non chest hipmount)GMT to chestmount, I did and wrote that conversion up its on the DIY forum here.

I had to figure out a quick easy way to lighten the shaft for extended use when I was having excessive rotator cuff problems.

It is a simple non destructive quickly reversible conversion.

Which served its purpose and has now been reversed back to standard configuration and my wife has started to detect with it and is doing EXTREMELY WELL she's been out twice with me and has found 3 good sized meteorites. She still has to break the gold cherry.

heres a link http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=17500

:whoope: Gosh everyone, please excuse me for butting in!

Seeker... I'm thrilled to see your post... I have often thought about you... Over the years I have learned so much from you... Mr. George White: You are truly my GURU... Jim Straight

The GB1 wires the two 9-volt batteries in parallel. That means it will operate with only one battery installed in either bay. You'd get twice the operating time with two, but in a pinch one works just as well, just not as long. I don't imagine this holds true for the digital GB2, but it's easy to check. Just remove one battery, power up and see if it works normally.

Unless you're really weighing ounces or counting cubic inches, there's small solar panels that could charge a pair of 9-v NimH batteries or some AA cells. Just carrying more batteries would probably weigh less and take less space but with solar you could potentially be powered up for an unlimited time.

Lithium batteries cost more but have much greater capacity, you'd need fewer for a given stay in the field.

-Ed

Nickel Metal Hydride 9V batteries would be great for the Bug2 if'n they only would fit. All the one's I've tried are just a little too fat to fit. It is hard enough sometimes just getting the alkaline 9V batteries out of a Bug2. I wish that [battery] box were just a wee bit larger.

Hey rluckadoo... Robert... to go back to your original post... regarding one of the new models

of the dedicated gold detectors..

Back about 1994 when I was younger and able :olddude: , like you I would pack in (alone, but do not remind my wife) for about 10 miles and stay out for about three days in a remote area in northern Nevada.

I chose the Tesoro Diablo microMAX with a small coil

as it broke down into three pieces and was light

weight and used only one nine volt battery for about30+ hours... The entire unit weighed about 2.2

pounds. 18.5 kHz and sensitive to gold, plus a unique two independent manual ground balance modes... I still have it... not for sale. It was discontinued in favor of the Lobo SuperTRAQ.

The Fisher Gold Bug Pro reminds of the Diablo...

very packable and with the 5-inch coil it should

be just what your looking for... over 30 hrs on

one nine-volt battery. Should do good in shallow

bed rock/small nuggets... 19 kHz... It has a ground grab ground balance which in a few pumps ground balaces... plus other features which would take

me too long to itemize (slow two finger typest).

I have one; like it; found small nuggets with it

in schist bedrock in the Randsburg Quadrangle California.

Not pushing it... I do not sell detectors... use

them... but for your needs--- especially packing

in; the GBPro may be a good choice... check it

out.... Fellow geologist, Mackay 1954 Jim Straight

Jim,

Thanks for the input! That sounds like a perfect detector for packing in. I am sure it is just as good on batteries as the GBII also. There's nothing like packing in and staying for a week or so at a time, in a location very few people are dedicated enough to get into since the old timers packed mules up in there during the gold rush. I am a dredger and a hard rock prospector though, and am just looking for other options to pick up some nuggets with a detector this summer (assuming dredging stays closed). Who knows, might even find a nice hidden qtz vein up in there that the old timers missed.......you never know.

Thanks again! Great to hear from you.

Robert

PS My geology degree (actually geophysics) is NC State University 1988.

Robert... just my thoughts... Go for placer concentrations... But today a hardrock prospect

could be an option

I was too dumb for a geophysical degree... Back in the 1950's it was slide rule and log. tables...

Mining took a hit in 1957... Govt. subsities on

minerals gone... Today mining in Nevada back huge.

I cannot believe it...

:twocents: Currently testing a new unit of the latest(no more bait and switch) and I must have at least 100 hours or so to see what they're made of. Off the bat though the fisher supplied batteries,duracell,died in less than 2 1/2 hours without earphones--(only 3 bar indicator setup instead of the 5 bar to better acess the battery strength)bummer. Takes lots of testing IN THE FIELD and with rain,snow,sleet and hail kinda hard to finish up them 97.5 hour test trials--but spring will come--hopefully nuggets too as I cherish playing with new toyz-John

Looking forward to hearing the reports on the new detector John.....and some photos of some nuggets!!! Yeah, the batteries supplied by the companies are sometimes not so great. I like the idea of being able to use 9volt batteries though. I can pack quite a few of those in, not much weight and they don't take up much room in the backpack.

Chances are that while playing with it and testing, it's reading objects and sounding off much more often than it would in the field. 2.5 hours still isn't very long, but in actual use you may go quite awhile before hitting a signal, so I'd hope the batteries would last much longer during a hunt.

-Ed