Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite veining

Howdy folks, here are a few pics of two suspect stones I got in Tucson, but am still trying to figure out the insides of these things. These pics are through a microscope, and am looking for some opinions about them. The last pic is not magnetic, but the stone shows as metal looking when held a certain way. The first two pics are magnetic and I'm curious about the veining, any ideas??? Jason ;)

DSC07469.jpg

DSC07471.jpg

And here is another pic of a suspect stone, and haven't seen this before.

DSC07472.jpg

Okay, I am confused.

Are the first two pics the same rock? In the second pic, that looks like free metal. Would you say that is correct? If so, an L ???

Heading for Danby in about 10 min! Cheers!

Jim

Hi Jason

There are various reasons and types of shocking and or brecciation I think :unsure: ?? I ain't much in the know on that stuff but they look real interesting and my guess would be some type of achondite :hmmmmm: ?? But then again it could be granite for all I know :???: ?? That is what labs are for ?? Maybe some of the more experienced dealers and scientific folks might have some educated guesses by sight :eee: . Try and post a link on the meteorite list to this link or your uploaded stored photos ;) . There are some real wizzards on the list that might have some ideas about those stones :) . I hope ones a lunar :whaaaa: ?? I know how much you enjoyed being mooned in Tucson :shrug: !! Maybe Eric will give you a refund :rolleyes: ?? Happy Huntin John B.

G'Day Jason

I actually have several with the similar situation in my collection. In fact I have one in particular that has large lakes of metal with metal rivers running between, a beautiful piece - very spectacular. Another interesting piece is Portales Valley, a little bit more on the extreme, but a similar concept. This might help you

A flash-heating mechanism melted dust balls in the solar nebula, producing

molten droplets, like lava, which cooled and solidified to form the

millimeter-size cosmic marbles called chondrules. These chondrules and other

dust in the solar nebula accreted (stuck together) to form a planetesimal,

or small planet, that orbited between Mars and Jupiter. Researchers know

from earlier studies that the chondrules were produced in the solar nebula

about 4.6 billion years ago and that the planetesimal accreted about 10

million years.

* Temperatures in the planetesimal began to rise for two reasons. Impact

energies heated the small planet as it accreted. And once it had grown large

enough, heat generated within it by radioactive elements no longer radiated

into space. When temperatures within the small planet reached several

hundred degrees, rocks that had formed out of the solar nebula were

thermally altered. For example, most of the chondrules were destroyed; only

a few scattered relicts survived.

* At some point either the planetesimal, or perhaps an asteroid knocked from

it, collided with another asteroid. The shock from the collision briefly

melted some of the metal in the planetesimal and jetted veins of it through

the rock.

http://www.psrd.hawaii.edu/Sept05/PortalesValley.html

Here's a couple of pics of mine.

post-2798-0-37622600-1297741494_thumb.jp

post-2798-0-93571600-1297741519_thumb.jp

post-2798-0-62877200-1297741533_thumb.jp

Cheers

Johnno

John, yeah I know it's a long shot, but the one probably isn't a meteorite. But fun nonetheless. I got to cut them and going back to cut some more of the ones from Rubin's secret pile... :hahaha: :ph34r2: Also, I would post to the Metlist, but can't seem to get them to go through for some reason. I've tried Rich text, plain text, who know's, but I think it's because I've got a Mac and they don't like Mac's... :angry: :hmmmmm:

Johno, the veining is cool in certain light and tilt of the stone, but when looked straight on, it doesn't appear to be anything special. That was making me wonder about it. It does have very slight attraction to a magnet, and the other appearances make it a meteorite to me. This is the first real effort I have put into cutting the stones and done the exploring on the inside. Jason ;)

John, yeah I know it's a long shot, but the one probably isn't a meteorite. But fun nonetheless. I got to cut them and going back to cut some more of the ones from Rubin's secret pile... :hahaha: :ph34r2: Also, I would post to the Metlist, but can't seem to get them to go through for some reason. I've tried Rich text, plain text, who know's, but I think it's because I've got a Mac and they don't like Mac's... :angry: :hmmmmm:

Jason,

Not sure if attachments are allowed there....if that is what you are trying. Need to provide a link to them, I think.

Jim

Hi Jason,

From my experience you may see very thin metal veins in some shock melts - but those are fairly rare and the veins look like metal - I would consider Portales Valley an extreme example of this. I have some melts where they are just threads.

More commonly in weathered chondrites (and those don't look particularly fresh), I believe some of the metal oxides deposit in veins that act more like hematite - very reflective but not "white and shiny" like the free nickel/iron.

Now shock veins are black and glassy so they will also be more reflective but you will often see other shock characteristics as darkening in areas and even melt pockets. These aren't usually dependent on the angle of lighting.

Sure is fun to cut and explore, isn't it?

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Continuing on this thread, I found a nice example while cutting and polishing some meteorites this weekend.

I believe this is what would be referred to as a black chondrite and has been darkened from shock. This is proably very similar to what Jason was seeing.

black1.jpg

black2.jpg

Phil