Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab sd2200v2 tips?

Good morning to all:) I have finally gotten my ML ready to try it out in the fields. For what they cost they should already be usable (grumble). I do not like being tethered to any machine. My mods were made before I even knew about some things you can buy for them. I call it 'Frankenstein'. I built a variable input power supply that can use ANY dc battery and always outputs 7.2 volts, (detech enhancer maximum). Wireless earbuds with a Koss equalizer to provide a better tone for my worn out ears. I am free of the machine!! woot!....I put my own ground balance button on it as well.

I have a couple of hours on the machine only and am looking for some kind and gentle advice on actually using this machine. I hear (read) the discrimination is terrible...so that stays off. Also when looking for new spots would my MXT be a good choice over this machine?

Good morning to all:) I have finally gotten my ML ready to try it out in the fields. For what they cost they should already be usable (grumble). I do not like being tethered to any machine. My mods were made before I even knew about some things you can buy for them. I call it 'Frankenstein'. I built a variable input power supply that can use ANY dc battery and always outputs 7.2 volts, (detech enhancer maximum). Wireless earbuds with a Koss equalizer to provide a better tone for my worn out ears. I am free of the machine!! woot!....I put my own ground balance button on it as well.

I have a couple of hours on the machine only and am looking for some kind and gentle advice on actually using this machine. I hear (read) the discrimination is terrible...so that stays off. Also when looking for new spots would my MXT be a good choice over this machine?

I call mine "Lucifer" and I hear you buddy. The 18v-24v Li Dewalt cordless drill batteries are a great power source. And yes, dont be bashful about spending as much on aftermarket crap as you did for the detector.

You wont find a detector that will out perform it at your experience level. That machine will get a small iron meteorite at 24" and gold nuggets really deep. Be patient, practice, and have faith that you could not use any other machine and find more nuggets without years of experience.

I use a 2100V2, but it is essentially the same circuitry as the 2200 without the bells and whistles. It is a strange and finicky machine that is just dang good at finding stuff once you get in the groove.

Bob

Aloha gang,

Well, I am glad I am not the only with being plagued with this machine.:thumbsupanim

I am just too used to the zip zip from my GMT and maybe a little spoiled but I will still stay the course as I hear from a LOT of people about how great the SD2200 is and I will be finding a LOT of stuff once that I probably walked over with my GMT. I dont think I left too much in the ground with my GMT BUT who knows.:hmmmmm:

I will be visiting Doc's shop and definitely be looking at getting a signal enhancer. HMMMM, okay now which one do I get? Any tips!!! Come on dont be shy, give me your :twocents: .

Aloha and Mahalo for any help.

Stan aka Ka'imi

I use a Gold Screamer. I am not sure it makes much diference because all it is is a little amp. The 2100 has a weak signal, so just about any amp will probably do just fine.

I figure the GMT probably goes deeper in a lot of cases. The PI will lose all depth and sensitivity under a power line and you will never know it. And in areas of high interefereance it is worthless. But where it shines it shines.

It is expensive, they use cheap switches and hardware, they are heavy with that thick clumsy case, the parts you need to make them functional are an added expense, and mine has been a maintenance nightmare. But I still pick it up and hunt with it because it goes so deep. And I have found a couple of whoppers that were encased in "hot rocks" that could not be found with a VLF.

So it is a toss up. I feel that is was worth the investment but it is not the Holy Grail. I was saving for a new 5000 but have decided to buy a new Bushmaster .223 varmint rifle, Leupold 24X scope, reloading dies and a hard case. I will also buy a new 9hp outboard, a set of new tires for my truck and a new GPS. The rest I will spend on booze and women. The PI may be good, but there is no way it is $5000 good. That is in my own personal opinion and I am not bashing anyone who feels that it is a value.

Bob

I use a Gold Screamer. I am not sure it makes much diference because all it is is a little amp. The 2100 has a weak signal, so just about any amp will probably do just fine.

I figure the GMT probably goes deeper in a lot of cases. The PI will lose all depth and sensitivity under a power line and you will never know it. And in areas of high interefereance it is worthless. But where it shines it shines.

It is expensive, they use cheap switches and hardware, they are heavy with that thick clumsy case, the parts you need to make them functional are an added expense, and mine has been a maintenance nightmare. But I still pick it up and hunt with it because it goes so deep. And I have found a couple of whoppers that were encased in "hot rocks" that could not be found with a VLF.

So it is a toss up. I feel that is was worth the investment but it is not the Holy Grail. I was saving for a new 5000 but have decided to buy a new Bushmaster .223 varmint rifle, Leupold 24X scope, reloading dies and a hard case. I will also buy a new 9hp outboard, a set of new tires for my truck and a new GPS. The rest I will spend on booze and women. The PI may be good, but there is no way it is $5000 good. That is in my own personal opinion and I am not bashing anyone who feels that it is a value.

Bob

Amen Bob, I'll spend mine on Woman...she is worth it. But, I do envy you a bit.

Bill c

I call mine "Lucifer" and I hear you buddy. The 18v-24v Li Dewalt cordless drill batteries are a great power source. And yes, dont be bashful about spending as much on aftermarket crap as you did for the detector.

You wont find a detector that will out perform it at your experience level. That machine will get a small iron meteorite at 24" and gold nuggets really deep. Be patient, practice, and have faith that you could not use any other machine and find more nuggets without years of experience.

I use a 2100V2, but it is essentially the same circuitry as the 2200 without the bells and whistles. It is a strange and finicky machine that is just dang good at finding stuff once you get in the groove.

Bob

Thanks for the battery tip, just so happens the voltage regulator fits on those batteries and makes a neat little package:) Is the name of your MD Lucifer because it makes you dig giant holes in the burning desert??

• 4 weeks later...

Bob

Hey Bob! Keep saving and scratch the .223 varmit rifle! Get a 22-250 instead with a bull barrel. You'll be happy you did.

While I like my Bushmaster XM-15, my Ruger Mini-14 is a better gun. 'Course, they are both poor sniper rifles unless you are running!

New, 9hp outboard? 4-stroke? Can you say OUCH!

Buy American products!!!

Jim

Hey Bob! Keep saving and scratch the .223 varmit rifle! Get a 22-250 instead with a bull barrel. You'll be happy you did.

While I like my Bushmaster XM-15, my Ruger Mini-14 is a better gun. 'Course, they are both poor sniper rifles unless you are running!

New, 9hp outboard? 4-stroke? Can you say OUCH!

Buy American products!!!

Jim

I have a Remington 700 VS in 22-250. The Bushmaster with the 24" bull barrel will hold a tighter pattern at any range all the way to 900 yds! It will shoot under 1/2" at a 200 yd. target. Under 3" at 400 yds. The 22-250 is a great caliber and very accurate, but not on par with .222 and .223. My fave is the Rem 700 VS in .243 which will hold a 1" pattern at 300 yards. It is a bit better at range especially in the wind, but has a noticeable trajectory that you must compenate for.

The mini 14 has a very poor scope mounting system. I have never been able to get a decent pattern with it. Fun gun but not a tack driver at all. Besides, the barel length is way too short. I am all about the accurate varmint guns. And the M4 type has no recoil to deal with at all.

The Bushmaster V-match OR the 24" match sniper upper will outshoot almost any bolt action target rifle out there amazingly enough. And the carbine uppers will shoot as well as any varmint rifle I own out to 200 yds. I am hitting 80% at 1000 yards on a 12" round piece of steel! Granted, it isn't doing much with a 60 gr. projectile, but it is a formidable sniper weapon. It will out shoot my Yankee Hill .308 with a 24X Leupold and 24" bull barrel. The wind affects the .223 more but it has better inherent accuracy overall.

I dont think the "earbuds" will work out very well, but hey ! Maybe they will work for you. The Gold Screamer amp is amazing, and would not hesitate to recommend it.

Dont bother with the discriminator yet, just leave it on "all metal"

Level adjust at 12 O clock

Ground balance in tracking then switch to fixed when you start hunting. Switch to tracking often to re-ground balance then back to fixed..it cant hurt to do so.

My threshold is around the 1 Oclock position, basically I back it down till it just becomes barely audible "a faint blip if you will"

Hunt in both channels If you are working extreemly hot shallow ground you can use channel one and hope to get over a decent piece of gold.

Audio set to normal. If in deep ground use deep, I dont use shallow much as it tends to get pretty noisy sometimes.

Archived