Nugget Shooter Forums

Thursday's nuggets

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi All,

I spent most of the day on one hillside looking for a meteorite. No luck John B... :unsure: :shhhhh: I don't know how you meteorite hunters stay focused :hmmmmm: . Talk about boring. :inocent: So I decided I better move over to a old nugget patch to avoid the skunk and managed to find 2 nuggets. :rolleyes: Here's a picture hope you enjoy.

post-86-0-61775800-1297396958_thumb.jpg

For the caliche I use phosphoric acid [available at most aquarium and/or pool supply places as "PH Down"] followed by a water rinse and gentle scrubbing with a soft bristled toothbrush. Iron stains can be removed with a rust remover gel -- but sometimes this may gunk up if plastic impurities are present. CLR works if given sufficient soaking time. It is well buffered so as to be relatively safe. Muriatic acid is pretty strong stuff and I've not yet tried it. But there may be some future nuggets that are really 'tough cases' which may serve as experiments. I do not have access to nitric acid, but if I did I would be very careful not to rinse with ordinary tap water [because the chlorine, when combined with nitric, could place -- and lose -- some of the gold into solution].

Thanks Martin ... My go toos in cleaning stuff from the NH beaches has been CLR or Vinegar and then a bath in baking soda laced water. It was suggested at on point that I use a product called 'wink' or 'whink' ... not sure the exact spelling ... but haven't been able to find it ... probably looking in the wrong places fro it. I like the idea of the phosphoric pool chem. That is pretty readily available. Caveat with use of any of these is to do in well ventilated places and no breathing of fumes!!!

Now all I have to do is find some nuggets so I can worry about cleaning them up! :)

Mike F

Thanks Martin ... My go toos in cleaning stuff from the NH beaches has been CLR or Vinegar and then a bath in baking soda laced water. It was suggested at on point that I use a product called 'wink' or 'whink' ... not sure the exact spelling ... but haven't been able to find it ... probably looking in the wrong places fro it. I like the idea of the phosphoric pool chem. That is pretty readily available. Caveat with use of any of these is to do in well ventilated places and no breathing of fumes!!!

Now all I have to do is find some nuggets so I can worry about cleaning them up! :)

Mike F

Mike,

It's "Whink Rust Stain Remover" it does have 1.5% to 3.5% Hydrofluoric Acid as it's active ingredient, wear rubber gloves, Hydrofluoric Acid can go through your skin and muscle tissue and attack the bone, not good.

http://www.whink.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&sort=2a&products_id=29

MSDS Information,

http://www.whink.com/images/msds/Rust_Stain_Remover_10062008.pdf

I have found it at Ace Hardware and at Wal-mart.

Whink makes several other rust stain removers, but the one mentioned is the only one that will do what you want.

Skip

Guest goldstudmuffin

I gave the nuggets a bath for Uncle Ron. I use Lonnie's granular dry acid compound, it cost $2.00 for a small tub and I just mix up a small amount as I need it. I put the nuggets from the last few trips in a pill bottle add the dry acid a little warm water and gently shake for 5 min. It looks like the top center nugget need a little more time or somthing a little stonger.

post-86-0-36243500-1297481159_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

41B4xW7shqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is called Sonic Wave and here is a link to one at Amazon so you can have a look, http://www.amazon.com/CD-2800-Ultrasonic-Jewelry-Eyeglass-Cleaner/dp/B001DKDAVW

The cleaner I use is Magic Green, best stuff I have seen and I think JB introduced me to it many moons ago...

31BNC3B88VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon link, http://www.amazon.com/ULTRASONIC-CLEANER-SOLUTION-CONCENTRATE-GALLONS/dp/B000HYNSJ4