Nugget Shooter Forums

Drywasher Grizzley Expanded Metal

~LARGO~

Hi All,

I have been looking at various drywasher projects, drywashers for sale of all shapes and sizes and designs. From what I am seeing, there seems to be no real constant in the type of expanded metal used in making a drywasher grizzly. Some use the raised variety, some use the flat. Some use the long opening run up and down, some run it across the narrow width of the grizzly. The only real constant in the grizzly, is most I see use the 3/8" width.

Any discussion on the subjects?

Flat expanded metal, or raised expanded metal?

Openings up and down or crossways?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

~LARGO~

I haven't ran a drywasher, but on a highbanker I think the bars running up and down are better for not hanging up any rocks, IMHO with any mesh type grizzly the parts running across the hopper will be a place for rocks to catch and you have more to clear by hand.

Skip

Flat expanded diamond pattens rock the dry washer world. For great pics,advice and informative content simply get Jim Straights Successful Drywashing or the Magnificent Quest and no I don't sell'm(ICMJ & GPAA ads) but much respect to a righteous miner and person--John

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a sheet metal shop, so I stopped in to see if he had some bits and pieces left over of expanded metal. Long story short, I walked away with a nice new piece of flat diamond 3/8" stainless expanded metal, big enough to do 2 machines. As I indicated earlier, being I am about to reach 70 years, I may not have enough years left to complete a workable drywasher. So that is why I asked some of these questions.

Up in this Idaho country, we don't have icons who have drywash experience, like my good friend Jim Straight, etc, to pick their brains. (I did shake your hand at the Bakersfield Gold Show a few years back, so doesn't that make us friends, Jim???)LOL.

Years back, my sister lived out at 29 Palms. She came up with an old red painted drywasher, paint was all cracked and falling off, it had seen a lot of use, and it didn't come with an instruction sheet, so we never did get to find much gold with it. It wasn't too long before the thing found another home, now I think it might have been a pretty good machine, had we known where to shovel the gravel in...lol...

Anyway, I am trying to get past some concerns I had relative to the most efficent way to position the screen. Probably am just spinning my wheels in the attempt. I didn't find much specifics in some of the books mentioned. Can't find my SUCCESSFUL DRYWASHING BOOK. I found every other little booklet of Jims, however.

Over the years, I have tried to buy one of every book that has the word GOLD as part of the book title, I bought Sam Raddings book #1, same thing, lots of words... I don't understand why people write wordy books about making drywashers, when drawing a set of blueprints/plans would mean more to someone who had the skills to build the project, and was used to reading such things.

I am beginning to think they are getting paid by the word, and not the substance! :shhhhh:

Thanks to all!

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Largo, Yes the flat expanded metal works better, rocks don't get hung up on the grizzly.

Running it up and down works much better. You can see the results in the way the material is

flows down the riffle tray. Some manufacturers run it sideways = to slow to process material.

I hope this helps.

Jon

Largo, Yes the flat expanded metal works better, rocks don't get hung up on the grizzly.

Running it up and down works much better. You can see the results in the way the material is

flows down the riffle tray. Some manufacturers run it sideways = to slow to process material.

I hope this helps.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I appreciate your input!

Gary

• 7 months later...

I hope this helps.

Jon

I agree, that's exactly what I've done too.