Nugget Shooter Forums

Tucson Hunting area

Hello all, Im down in Tucson for the show and was wondering if there are any decent hunting area's within 60 miles of Tucson? Most of the finds in that area seem to be single stones, I was just wondering if there are any spots worth a day hunt. I'm itching to do some beeping.

Hello all, Im down in Tucson for the show and was wondering if there are any decent hunting area's within 60 miles of Tucson? Most of the finds in that area seem to be single stones, I was just wondering if there are any spots worth a day hunt. I'm itching to do some beeping.

Hi Terry!

I found a bunch of Chondrites at the Days Inn and a 1/2 kilo worth of irons right behind Denny's. Wendy found her first meteorite ever in a slice of Geoff's and Steve's birthday cake! Who says you can't find meteorites and eat your cake too! :hahaha:

Jim

Actually, Terry, there is a pretty new fall just East of Tucson, the Whetstone meteorite. I think the field straddles I-10 about the Pima County line. Check the Met Bull for details. It is a fairly recent fall, I think in the late '90's.

Farther East is the Wilcox Playa, a dry lake area, but that may be outside your 60 mi. limit.

To the South are several meteorite areas in and around the mountains between Tucson and Nogales. Be careful about going very far South near the border.