Nugget Shooter Forums

Unusual stone. Meteorite?

I almost feel silly writing this, but I did find an odd stone. I suspect it is some form of hematite, as it is obviously ferrous.

hematitestone2Large.jpg

hematitestone1Large.jpg

hematitestoneLarge.jpg

hematitestone3Large.jpg

It is smooth all over, with the unusual markings. Under magnification, it has rust-red and green coloring. Seems heavy for its size.

I found this while hunting artifacts (my real hobby) and thought it was so unusual, I had to have it. When I posted it on an artifact forum, numerous members mentioned it looked like a meteorite.

I appreciate any insight you can give.

The resistance across 2 points is very high, so at least the outer layer seems non-conductive (according to my Fluke VOM).

Thanks! I don't want to test your patience.

Thanks I did do the streak test, and against a slightly tan toilet lid, the color, at my best description, is a color similar to graphite. I doubt this is Magnetite, as attraction to the Neodymium magnet is not very strong. Certainly, nothing near a piece of iron or steel. I doubt anyone would describe the streak as reddish, so I am doubting hematite, too.

Help?

What is this? Any rockhounds out there?

Thanks I did do the streak test, and against a slightly tan toilet lid, the color, at my best description, is a color similar to graphite. I doubt this is Magnetite, as attraction to the Neodymium magnet is not very strong. Certainly, nothing near a piece of iron or steel. I doubt anyone would describe the streak as reddish, so I am doubting hematite, too.

Help?

What is this? Any rockhounds out there?

Magnetite does not always have a strong attraction to a magnet. As a matter of fact, I have seen magnetite with no attraction whatsoever. Apparently the process in which it forms is a factor for any potential magnetism. Also the composition is another factor. Most iron minerals are in fact- combinations of two or more Fe minerals.

Steve

I had no idea. Well, Magnetite has potential. I suppose I just assumed that Magnetite would be magnetic.

What next? Nickel test?

A nickel test would be appropriate if it had potential of being a meteorite. I strongly suspect it is magnetite from the description of your streak test. If it were done on a white piece of tile- the streak would probably be more blackish.

Steve

I much appreciate the help on this strange rock. I'm sure California has its share of Magnetite, so that seems the logical conclusion. Would have been more fun if "It came from outer space", but I find it to be an interesting specimen anyhow.

Thanks for all the help.

Maybe I'll find the real thing when I am up in the desert again.

with the help of this forum, I cut a window and saw more of what I see of the exterior. No metal flakes or chunks. I think I am holding a Magnetite stone. That's ok, it is cool looking, at least.

Thanks for all your help.

Given some of the places we go, maybe I can luck into some gold...

• 2 months later...

I almost feel silly writing this, but I did find an odd stone. I suspect it is some form of hematite, as it is obviously ferrous.

hematitestone2Large.jpg

hematitestone1Large.jpg

hematitestoneLarge.jpg

hematitestone3Large.jpg

It is smooth all over, with the unusual markings. Under magnification, it has rust-red and green coloring. Seems heavy for its size.

I found this while hunting artifacts (my real hobby) and thought it was so unusual, I had to have it. When I posted it on an artifact forum, numerous members mentioned it looked like a meteorite.

I appreciate any insight you can give.

The resistance across 2 points is very high, so at least the outer layer seems non-conductive (according to my Fluke VOM).

Thanks! I don't want to test your patience.

How about a tektite? I have a rock that came with a meteorite purchase and I was told it is a tektite. It really looks similar to your rock. I tried photos but they did not look as nice as yours so I will try again when I have more time. Ed

G'Day Nyatt, Bill and Members

Bill, I have to agree with you 100%. Nyatt, nice specimen.

Ed, I'm afraid tektite is out of the picture. Not only from it's visual point of view but it's attraction to a magnet. That's not to say there's the odd one out there. I have a dumb bell, quite large, that has one small area and I mean small. It must be a metallic spheroid embedded in the glass, that attracts a magnet.

Here's an image of that dumb bell tektite

post-2798-0-70416100-1303353056_thumb.jp

Cheers

Johnno

Hi Johnno-

What a terrific tektite specimen. :thumbsupanim Have seen the dog bone types before but they were much smaller. May I ask where that came from? My guess is southeast Asia someplace.

Steve

G'Day Steve

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, you're correct. A couple others you might like. these are from our collection.

>> Bicolite in the shape of a heart. Weight: 60 grams

PICT0146.jpg

>> Rizzolite. Weight: 187 grams

PICT0166.jpg

>> Splashform. Weight: 1200 grams

Tektite_5.jpg

Cheers

Johnno