Nugget Shooter Forums

New Barstow Meteorite??

Hello - A friend of my brother found several questionable meteorites on their ranch by Barstow. These were found in a straight line (fall?). The largest one is a little bigger than a softball. They are magnetic and streak silver under hard pressure; light pressure, no streak. Attaching 3 photos of the one he cut. What are your opinions? Thanks,

Bob

post-1621-0-94036400-1296951767_thumb.jppost-1621-0-69678100-1296951738_thumb.jppost-1621-0-26752900-1296952025_thumb.jp

Interesting... ??? Del... are you out there

Hello - A friend of my brother found several questionable meteorites on their ranch by Barstow. These were found in a straight line (fall?). The largest one is a little bigger than a softball. They are magnetic and streak silver under hard pressure; light pressure, no streak. Attaching 3 photos of the one he cut. What are your opinions? Thanks,

Bob

post-1621-0-94036400-1296951767_thumb.jppost-1621-0-69678100-1296951738_thumb.jppost-1621-0-26752900-1296952025_thumb.jp

metal is good, sticks to a magnet is good. test for nickel, polish and etch to see if a Widmanstatten pattern is present. i would expect more shale/scale on the un-cut surface, was the surface wire brushed? if it is a meteorite, a silicated iron? doesn't look like the old woman :eee: i've seen so many different types of slag in the last year, always good to be skeptical.

metal is good, sticks to a magnet is good. test for nickel, polish and etch to see if a Widmanstatten pattern is present. i would expect more shale/scale on the un-cut surface, was the surface wire brushed? if it is a meteorite, a silicated iron? doesn't look like the old woman :eee: i've seen so many different types of slag in the last year, always good to be skeptical.

Hi Distimpson, I think the surface was ground down to expose the metal the black areas left are the original surface. His mom told him about two years ago they were awakened by a loud noise and a flash if it is a meteorite it is a fresh one. Bob

Hi Distimpson, I think the surface was ground down to expose the metal the black areas left are the original surface. His mom told him about two years ago they were awakened by a loud noise and a flash if it is a meteorite it is a fresh one. Bob

ok, understood, thought i was looking at inclusions, so possible iron? the black surface, still doesn't "look right", but can't say from a photo. be interested in what you find out. don

Bob, pictures are always hard to tell from, and I don't claim to be an expert (just a curious on-looker) but I would have to agree with Steve, and think it isn't a meteorite. The outside just doesn't have the appearance of a meteorite, nor does the inside. Those 'holes' are probably air vesicles and it could be a form of slag coming from the many miners/explorers from that area. I hope I'm wrong, good luck and keep us posted. Jason ;)

Bob, pictures are always hard to tell from, and I don't claim to be an expert (just a curious on-looker) but I would have to agree with Steve, and think it isn't a meteorite. The outside just doesn't have the appearance of a meteorite, nor does the inside. Those 'holes' are probably air vesicles and it could be a form of slag coming from the many miners/explorers from that area. I hope I'm wrong, good luck and keep us posted. Jason ;)

Jayray,

After seeing that enstatite, I can offically say I do not know WTF I am looking atmad0264[1].gifWhat a learning experience this weekend was.

I'll have to remember to lick them to do the final field verification. That was FUNNY!happy0193[1].gif

Jim

Many years ago, in a land not far from here...Coolgardie, that is...I found a small piece that had the appearance of a meteorite. I took it home and ground down one side...it was solid metal. OH, Boy! I thought...my first iron...maybe? I tryed etching the piece...no "wid" pattern visible; but that could mean it is an "ataxite"...which are high in nickel and don't show that pattern...last year I tried a nickel test from Mr Norton's book; turned the whole little piece to rust...and the test was inconclusive.

(don't quit, I am almost getting to the point)

In Dec of 2010 I sent my piece in to the New England Meteoritical...I wanted to know for certain. This lab offers a very fine service for a small fee. I followed their directions and withing 3-4 weeks recieved a professional report and my piece back; all exactly as promised.

So, my piece was not a meteorite and they identified it as foundry iron...not extraterrestrial...but it could have been.

That is my story and to come to my real purpose of this meander...the piece you have looks alot like mine and one other that was found around the Coolgardie Placer which is not far from Barstow...

Fred

the web site for the lab is www.meteoritelab.com

Hi Fred, Interesting story. My brother took the piece to a geologist in Burbank, At first he said it was Hematite and after my brother told him about the scratch test he said it was Magnetite. Being solid metal inside like the one you found I think your ID is the best one Fred. I will give him the lab address and he can send it in. Thanks, Bob