Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyatt

Building a dry washer.

I've started on my drywasher build. I've looked at tons of plans and I have 2 questions I could use some help with.

1. I've noticed that most if not all of the ones I've seen have 3/4" aluminum angle riffles at 110*. All I have is 1". Will thiss work or should I rip 1/4" off of each one.

2. I've been looking for Indian head cloth and cant seem to find some. The gals at the fabric store had no idea what I was talking about. I picked up some canvas. Will this work.

I'll put up some pics of my progress if u guys want.

Use cotton muslin or a 50/50 cotton polyester blend. The back of a 25 cent dress shirt at the thrift store works good. A pillow case or bedsheet is perfect as well as an old silk shirt.

You probably dont want a riffle any higher than 3/4 inch in my opinion. I guess it would depend on how high you wanted to toss that dirt before going to the next riffle.

Canvas is too heavy.

The stuff Keene uses now is called "Poly Co Patice Sheer Mist" they sell it for 15 bucks but Bobs right...its basically a 50/50 cotton and nylon mix you can get off a shirt.

I might mention Nitex seive material. It has been discussed in recent threads. I use it and it is great. Expensive. Not really needed but it will darn sure make a good drywasher great. Monofilament nylon cloth and you can wet it down and it wont clog at all.

thanks folks

I've been following those posts Bob and found that whats listed is a micron opening and a micron thread dia and havent been able to find a 56 micron of either, i would like to play around with this Nitex too but at the prices they cost...the playing around part is out the door i would prefer to use the right size that you have already determined works great but i have to find it first.

The back of a 25 cent dress shirt at the thrift store works good.

I go along with Bedrock Bob, I have built puffer drywashers since 1992 or so and my local thrift shop will let me pick a large Garbage bag full for 2 bucks and who cares what color the cloth is?

Keene cloth is a ripoff, and old shirt or sheet that you can see through and blow your breath through will work, a lot of people try to reinvent the wheel and over engineer everything.

The old time builders like Harold Beck and 'Nick" of "Nicks Nugget" didn't have all this fancy stuff, I built the first dry washer I ever saw from a 5 gallon can cut in half for the hopper and another half for the riffile box and now I see them in the prospecting shops for $250 saying NEW ideal! I built my own "Beck" from Harold Becks original parts in Charlie Salwasser's shop in Randsburg, CA.in 1992.

I have lots of my own adapations scattered around the country and if un-altered from my original build I will put them up aganist any others, there is nothing like the clack-clack of a puffer and to me they always seem to get more gold!

If you run on to an original Beck,or Nick's Nugget or Goldduster and the others I can't remember for a good price grab it they are collectors items now, Russ Ford has at least one BECK with Harold Becks business card stapled to it.

Max

post-7251-0-15842400-1296940343_thumb.jp

post-7251-0-36165600-1296940377_thumb.jp

post-7251-0-13227400-1296940400_thumb.jp

post-7251-0-66853300-1296940440_thumb.jp

I've been following those posts Bob and found that whats listed is a micron opening and a micron thread dia and havent been able to find a 56 micron of either, i would like to play around with this Nitex too but at the prices they cost...the playing around part is out the door i would prefer to use the right size that you have already determined works great but i have to find it first.

The micron opening size is what you need to pay attention to...the mesh size represented in microns. I have used a 54um with good succcess. The particles of ultra fine gold (less than 54um) pass through, but most of the dust is elevated. It allows ultra fine gold to pass rather than be blown down the line. On a "blower type" drywasher with a box your fine gold gets trapped in the box rather than on the table. I have also used it in a "sandwich" configuration with the nytex on top, a piece of 1/4" hardware cloth next, a piece of silk or cotton linen, and another 1/4" hardware cloth on the bottom. It will cause the fine gold to get trapped securely UNDER the surface of the table (between the nytex and the linen)rather than behind a riffle where it can migrate into turbulence and get blown or pushed over.

It is expensive. I used old pond nets from a biological experiment, and many industries use mesh seives so some folks may be able to get this stuff on the cheap. It allows you to really boost dry recovery. I am still experimenting with it. It seems that opening sizes from 54um and down are where you want to be to recover the stuff that usually gets away. I would suggest a 20-30um for a standard fabric replacement. From my experiments it seems that about a 60um on the upper table and a regular cotton muslin lower table with a 1/16" space between is an ideal "2 stage table" for a sandwich configuration.

I go along with Bedrock Bob, I have built puffer drywashers since 1992 or so and my local thrift shop will let me pick a large Garbage bag full for 2 bucks and who cares what color the cloth is?

Keene cloth is a ripoff, and old shirt or sheet that you can see through and blow your breath through will work, a lot of people try to reinvent the wheel and over engineer everything.

The old time builders like Harold Beck and 'Nick" of "Nicks Nugget" didn't have all this fancy stuff, I built the first dry washer I ever saw from a 5 gallon can cut in half for the hopper and another half for the riffile box and now I see them in the prospecting shops for $250 saying NEW ideal! I built my own "Beck" from Harold Becks original parts in Charlie Salwasser's shop in Randsburg, CA.in 1992.

I have lots of my own adapations scattered around the country and if un-altered from my original build I will put them up aganist any others, there is nothing like the clack-clack of a puffer and to me they always seem to get more gold!

If you run on to an original Beck,or Nick's Nugget or Goldduster and the others I can't remember for a good price grab it they are collectors items now, Russ Ford has at least one BECK with Harold Becks business card stapled to it.

Max I have a becks dry washer that looks like it was never used. It came with a extra set of smaller riffles and a kick start motor out of a washing machine I bought it at a yard sale for $80 bucks.

I,ll Take it!!

Southfork , check your PMs.

Well I got it up and running. I used an old under-armor shirt with an old window screen under it. The homemade fan vibrates the crap out of it, (wondering if its too much). I took it out for a few hours by myself and found 5 flower-sized specks and a picker. Thanks for all your feedback everyone. If anyone is in the Tucson area and would like to help me play with it send me a PM.

Well where's the pictures? DW and gold??

Good job never the less! Everyone is not sucessful there first time.

Now ya gotta admit it is really cool to build a drywasher and then actually find some color first trip! WELL DONE :thumbsupanim

Couldn't have done it without the help of this forum. Thankyou all!