Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fsbirdhouse

Gas powered vacuums

Finally put my home-made gas vac to the test.

What a sweet machine!

I added a 3/4" spigot to the side of the bucket, (Designed for water coolers...I found at Walmart)that I can open when necking down from 2 1/2" to 7/8" for the crevice tool. Don't know if it's really needed, but there is definite change in the sound of machine when closed.

Having read a thread in the DIY section about a so called "Land Dredge", I have to admit I was thinking along the same lines, but in conjunction with a highbanker, utilizing a blower pushing the air to a venturi, sort of a much larger version of a 'sand blaster', where sand is drawn from a hopper to the gun.

Maybe the velocity from a leaf blower isn't enough (Or Dayton blowers, as Bedrock Bob suggested), but I wonder if the volumn part of the equation couldn't be accomplished with multiple blowers in-line, in a push/pull application thru an ABS Y? Perhaps a 2 1/2' suction line opening to a 2x3x2 Y (Necking down 3" opening to recieve 2 1/2" hose at one end and on side where air is fed in), then adding a second 3x3x2 inch Y to the now 3" line at a half way point?

If a leaf blower can pull the material to a bucket, what's to prevent it from doing the same thru a venturi, and by-passing the bucket straight to the highbanker/drywasher? What was the fatal flaw with the land dredge? The thread seemed to end by stating it just couldn't be done.

No increase by using multiple blowers. A fan has a maximum static pressure and regardless of how many fans in line the max static pressure is the same. CFM will triple as lng as the carrying capacity of the pipe allows it, but S.P. is determined by the fan configuration. Like a chain it is only as good as its weakest link. Likewise you can decrease the size of the hose to increase static pressure (vacuum on the inverse)up to the capacity of the fan.

No increase by using multiple blowers. A fan has a maximum static pressure and regardless of how many fans in line the max static pressure is the same. CFM will triple as lng as the carrying capacity of the pipe allows it, but S.P. is determined by the fan configuration. Like a chain it is only as good as its weakest link. Likewise you can decrease the size of the hose to increase static pressure (vacuum on the inverse)up to the capacity of the fan.

There may not be an increase in 'amount' of material that can be moved, but that material will lose velocity over distance, and at that point a second blower should act to maintain velocity.

Perhaps a larger blower then, and increase in hose dia. to accommodate increase in volume of air.

An air only, continuous feed system to the material processor would seem desirable in some configuration.

The Hydro force nozzle HF250 seems the answer where water is available, but it's hard to tell how efficiently it actually moves the material in this video.

Anybody used one?

Bob said,

Likewise you can decrease the size of the hose to increase static pressure (vacuum on the inverse)up to the capacity of the fan.

Another way of of accomplishing that very thing.

Two vacs with 2 1/2" hose pulling a given amount of air thru their individual hoses.

Hook both hoses to a Y.

Now both machines are struggling to pull that same volume of air thru a single 2 1/2" opening on the Y.

The velocity must increase at the single opening in the Y in their attempt to do so, there will be a significant increase if movement of material is determined by velocity.

I have done this as stated in a previous post, and I define 'suck' in this case, as the ability to move loose material over distance, not pull a column of water. It works for whatever reason.

I have not yet attempted to move material through a hose by pushing it with air through multiple Ys arranged in-line, but I think the key to doing so would be to increase the hose size from the very first Y, while keeping the suction nozzle a smaller dia.

A 3X3X2 inch Y with the opening where the air is injected in-line, necked down to the diameter of the blower tube. The body of the Y being 3" so not to cause a restriction.

I am not sure you could push material as far as you could vacuum it. Maybe?

You definitely can push particles farther than you can vacuum them. But a fan vaccums more efficiently than it "pushes".

You are talking about a venturi effect by injecting air on one branch of the "y"? It will create a big low pressure area (suck) but will not carry things downstream far (push). I would use in line fans for boosters. Most fans of this design are made to move materials through them.

The "jet flare" (a "Y" with one pressurized branch)is used on a dredge to avoid a costly slurry pump...it can use a regular clear water pump of sufficient pressure and delivery. But that is a liquid and air is a gas so there is a BIG difference in physical properties and dynamics. With air movers it would be many times more efficient to simply run the materials through the fan impeller. Use an impeller like a cottonseed or flax wheel. It is the same type of wheel used to move products in industry and works great. Like I said above coat it with RHINO bedliner to avoid problems with abrasive materials.

When you increase hose size you decrease pressure and velocity and things quit moving. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck!