Nugget Shooter Forums

Hot Rocks

south fork

I dig them up and give em a quick look and toss. My son carried some home so we could clean them up Better and crap there full of gold. Now we can go back out to those old seam deposits And try to find what we already tossed. We were talking about how much gold could be in those old dumps That the early miners missed with no metal detector technology. I will post some photos after I clean these samples. They were dark red Iron stained.

I placed some of the samples in phosphoric acid solution of about 10-20% and quartz is starting to show with little stringers/veins of gold. they have been soaking for about three hours now. This samples were reddish black with no quartz showing. But made the detectors sing.

Now there is a pleasant surprise for sure. I worked a mine dump full of specimens like that here in Arizona years ago and took home 5 gallon buckets full of them. Cleaned them up real nice and made a pretty penny I did...

Have fun....

Heres one piece after 5 hours in solution 3plus grams of quartz and gold. Can you see the fly spec of gold in the pan theres a lot of flour gold in the solution from the other sample but has less gold showing.

What color where they before you cleaned them up? Most iron hot rocks I come across are black.

What color where they before you cleaned them up? Most iron hot rocks I come across are black. They were brown/black with a little reddish oxidized material around the out side. After they were in the phosphoric for a couple of hours quartz started showing with a gray/black grainy material That slowly dissolved leaving quartz and gold showing.

Makes you wonder how much gold gets throwed away that way ? This is a " hot rock " that I picked out

of my sluice box sometime back when we was doing a cleanup. Looks like just a plane old rock but has

a little gold streak showing and it has more weight to it than a rock this size should have. Maybe

Cinnabar, its a deep dull red with fine grain. Came out of the Kalamath River.

post-24938-0-62818700-1297000331_thumb.j

post-24938-0-58656100-1297000392_thumb.j

Archived