Nugget Shooter Forums

What Is The History Of "Super Goldsearch" Coils?

I've been trying to obtain info re the line of Minelab PI Super Goldsearch coils. It seems that over the years Minelab has distributed an assortment of coils, e.g., the Commander series. Some are black with black skid plates, some black with white skid plates and some are completely cream colored. Even the names differ. The labels vary bearing names such as GP Extreme, MPS Technology, GP Series or Super Goldsearch. Some are labeled "Made in Australia" while others are silent as to origin. The Kellyco web site insinuates that some are made in China. Some are expressly labeled "Mono" or "Double D" while others render no clue and all have similar serial numbers [5 numeric digits]. Does anyone have clarifying info about the history of the Minelab labeling system? How do the Super Goldsearch Mono coils compare with the Commander coils or with each other? I have an 11" Super Goldsearch Mono coil that is made in Australia. Does it have the Litz wire as in the Commander Coils? Is there a performance difference between the two? Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Very good questions... I would like to know also. Maybe Kevin will happen to read this and let us know......

Hi Nugget

I'll answer your last question first. No the early SD/GP/GPX coils where made with regular stranded wire only the commander coils are made with Litz wire. Now Litz wire was developed for use with Radio transmissions to reduce loss of power. Litz construction is designed to minimize the power losses exhibited in solid conductors due to "skin effect". Skin Effect is the tendency of radio frequency current to be concentrated at the surface of the conductor. Litz constructions counteract this effect by increasing the amount of surface area without significantly increasing the size of the conductor. Generally speaking, constructions composed of many strands of finer wires are best for the higher frequency applications. I don't feel that detectors run any where near the high freq that would benefit from using Litz wire. There seems to be seat of the pants feeling that they are quieter than regular staned wire coils. I have never seen any proof of this not even on test equipment I have used to test detector/coil combos. I've never seen any measurable improvement with Litz wire coils over regular coils. I fact in some areas I think the Goldsearch coil are maybe a tad bit better on small gold. As for EMI I don't see any difference between the coils.

Keeper Swinging

CH

The Litz wire has been used in the early coils as well as the Commander series, Minelab has the patent for it's use in detector coils I believe....

The Commander series is an upgraded version of the old Minelab Coils...

Minelab has also allowed Nugget Finder to use Litz wire in their coils...

I will get more info in more detail later today for you on this if I can and I have sent an email to Ewout Kozel asking....

I immediately received an answer from Ewout and the request for this info in the content of the first post and those following will be answered by Minelab in Australia....

Stay tuned...

It's my understanding that Litz wire is nothing but MIL spec wires. Not sure which spec it is though, if somebody knows it I can download it and post on the forum (probably starts with a MS or NASM letter designation) but it's nothing special and has just been used in our coils.

Del

Correct me if I'm wrong-Butttt :inocent: I heard this years ago that a after market coil company was making the coils for minelab and then became their own company which is coiltek---and I also read that the older minelab PI coils are very noisy on the newer Gpx series beepers :twocents: Mike C...:ph34r2:

Hi Bill

That is weird about all ML coils having Litz wire. I have an old SD coil that no longer works so being an engineer I wanted to see how they made them so I cut it open and found a broken wire or two in the coil loop. It does not have Litz wire in it, at least not what is accepted in the Electrical industry as Litz wire. They may call it that but the stands in the coil is larger than what is normal for Litz wire. John Kah made all the coils for PI machines up until 1997 when ML pulled the coil production in house. That is when Coiltek was born and they never used Litz wire in any coils form what I know. I think that is why ML started making coils inhouse because John didn't want to use Litz wire. Coiltek, I don't think ever made any production coils with Litz wire. They may have done some proto types in Litz but I don't know that for sure. Here is a vidio on Litz wire it may clear up what Litz is and it's use.

Keeper Swinging

CH

Aloha,

Interesting posts! i also have an 18" super goldsearch coil (green> that I have considered puting up for sale to offset some upgrades I intend for my SD2200d. Does anyone know how much these coils go for in good condition. Looks like it was hardly used. Just too big for me to be lugging around franconia or gold basin.

Any thoughts or offers? Pics can be provided if necessary.

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha,

Interesting posts! i also have an 18" super goldsearch coil (green> that I have considered puting up for sale to offset some upgrades I intend for my SD2200d. Does anyone know how much these coils go for in good condition. Looks like it was hardly used. Just too big for me to be lugging around franconia or gold basin.

Any thoughts or offers? Pics can be provided if necessary.

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

I saw one on E-Bay for $399 . Didn't sell . He claimed that it was a $599 or so coil but I've never seen a real price on it . I have one as well and want to use it this year . It's reputation is that it is good on normal soil so it should work good around here .

Minelab have used Litz wire in all their coils for their PI's since the SD2000. Coiltek did make coils for Minelab way back in the piece but parted company when Minelab took coil manufacture in house. Coiltek then started to manufacture aftermarket coils for the Minelab PIs and discovered a wire that imitated Litz to a degree so started using that to avoid a possible conflict with patents and also cost. In recent years the PI detectors Minelab have made (GP series onwards and more particularly the GPX detectors) have required very specific calibrations of the coil to work properly, this is to do with the cable connecting the coil to the detector and also the actual windings themselves, hence the redesign and name change to Commander, so the current Commander coils are fully backwards compatible with all the Minelab PI machines right back to the SD2000 but do not recommend using coils from the SD era with current technology (Commander coils are better with the GPX series).

Commander coils are not made in China. John Kah made me experimental Litz wound 18" DD coils back when he was doing work for Minelab (SD 2100 days (1996 1997), I seriously doubt he ever refused to make coils using Litz. Litz wire is expensive compared to other wires, Litz is very effective due to each and every wire being insulated from the other thus preventing chaffing during bumps and knocks.

Hope this helps,

JP