Nugget Shooter Forums

If you had to pick

Fsbirdhouse

Ok, I'm sure there'll be as many answers as members on this one.

If you were in an area where you could dredge, high bank, or use a metal detector, and you only had money to start with one of the three, which would it be?

I'll start off with sluice and pan, and I'll be better able to make a choice next year myself.

I know which will be the hardest work, and which is likely to be the most expensive, and which is likely to get the most gold.

Choices, choices, choices!

Because I am electronicaly illerate I would start with a Highbanker because most of them can also be used as a dredge, and a suction nozzle is able to run in shallower water. A dredge will move more material in general and you only have 1 hose to drag around versus a suction nozzle, unless of course you run an inline power jet on a highbanker. This is a pic of one of the highbankers I built.

post-24970-0-11147700-1296274660_thumb.j

If the river/creek is in a good gold area and has not been overly dredged, you will stand the best chance of more and bigger gold with a dredge. Absolutley no doubt in my mind, been there and done it for years. I do not know many people that can have 1+ oz days on a regular basis with a high-banker or a beeper.

If the river/creek is in a good gold area and has not been overly dredged, you will stand the best chance of more and bigger gold with a dredge. Absolutley no doubt in my mind, been there and done it for years. I do not know many people that can have 1+ oz days on a regular basis with a high-banker or a beeper.

I think I have to agree with El Dorado about the dredge being the best gold getter overall, but there probably aren't many people who are getting an oz+ a day even with a dredge.

Beeping may be the lightest workload per oz recovered, but I think you really got to put in the effort highbanking!

All of them involve an outlay of cash to get started, and in regards that, highbanking is probably the cheapest way to go.

Love to be able to have the best of all three to hand when I'm in the field!

Beeping may be the lightest workload per oz recovered....

I don't know if I would agree with that statement, unless you have metal detected for gold you wouldn't know how many holes you will be digging only to find "trash", some estimates are 100 pieces of trash to 1 pieces of gold, others say 1000 to 1, that a lot of digging for a piece of gold and now days that piece will likely be a small piece 1/2 to a few grams rather than a 1/4 ounce and up nugget, unless you have some private ground that hasn't been gone over by other nugget shooters.

Skip

I don't know if I would agree with that statement, unless you have metal detected for gold you wouldn't know how many holes you will be digging only to find "trash", some estimates are 100 pieces of trash to 1 pieces of gold, others say 1000 to 1, that a lot of digging for a piece of gold and now days that piece will likely be a small piece 1/2 to a few grams rather than a 1/4 ounce and up nugget, unless you have some private ground that hasn't been gone over by other nugget shooters.

My family and me have used all the above plus a few more. I like them all. Its kind of a seasonal thing. But my sons have found some real nice nuggets since the first of the year in Areas the have been pounded with metal detectors.

Skip