Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite?

My wife was given this "rock" by her father a few years back. It sat in a box forever in our garage until recently. Unfortunatly her father is rather paranoid and delusional and will not disclose where he found it for reasons unknown. This is also the guy that thinks the CIA is hacking his computer....

I did not have a strong magnet but I was able to take some dust I had left over from breaking off a sample. I placed the dust on a piece of paper and used a fridge magnet underneath and the dust was attracted to the magnet.

I plan on sending a sample in for tested probably some time today or Monday.

Here's some pics. Let me know what you guys think

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

When obtaining a sample...with a hammer. I accidently broke off a palm sized piece. The inside was a lighter grey color than the exterior. Unfortunatly I did not upload that pic to photobucket so I will have to wait until I get home to post that one.

So, what do you guys think?

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

When obtaining a sample...with a hammer. I accidently broke off a palm sized piece. The inside was a lighter grey color than the exterior. Unfortunatly I did not upload that pic to photobucket so I will have to wait until I get home to post that one.

So, what do you guys think?

It doesn't look like a meteorite to me. Did you do a streak test on it?

Steve

No not yet, I will when I get home. If it is a meteorite it wont leave a streak is that the deal?

Yes - meteorites will not leave streaks but neither will many other rocks. The streak test is basically to eliminate any iron minerals which are often mistaken for meteorites. That's one of the first tests. But the sheen on yours also leads me to believe it's not a meteorite.

Steve

here's the picture of the broken piece.

IMG_0564.jpg

I did the scratch test on the iside of our toilet lid and it did leave a faint black line boorb

So this pretty much rules it out as a meteorite? His whole story of finding a crater and blah blah was most likely BS? ...figures. He's been running on with stories about how hes been emailing some guy in N.A.S.A about it and they are really intrigued blah blah blah. I should of known he was full of poo. Freaking :nutty: job

Edit: quick google searches of iron based minerals produced similar imaging of bornite altho not to the extremes I seen online. Sigh:

The first clue was the shape and the texture. The purplish sheen was the second clue it wasn't a meteorite. The third clue was the black streak you talk about..

I don't believe what you have is bournite as a magnet will not pick it up. I've had it in my collection in the past and in most cases the sheen will be more brighter and more extensive. Just not sure what it is by looking at it. Would need more testing.

Steve