Nugget Shooter Forums

First "nugget" ?????

It finally warmed up enough to melt the ground, so I've been taking advantage of it. I want/need to learn how to run my metal detector.

I was looking for a good tone to dig up (not more nails) and hit a solid 36 on my X-Terra 70. Took me a while to figure out that the target wasn't a coin...it was this rock. I thought it was a chunk of magnetite...but a 36 TID?????

Got it home and cleaned it up. Wasn't black, but a dull silver metallic color....not magnetite. I think it's a glob of melted aluminum.happy0045[1].gif

At least I'm finding things with my detector.

post-23986-0-27621400-1296161650_thumb.j

It could be Babbit, which was used for bearings in many different types of machinery, it was melted and poured onsite around the shafts that needed the bearings and overflowed onto the ground.

Babbit is still used for bearing material on modern machines, but it is a very thin layer on a steel shell, where as in days of old it filled the void between the shaft and the bearing cap completely.

Is there any history of mining and related machinery in the same area you found it?

Skip

Babbitt material......huh....that could be.

This is farm country(won't be able to get to any gold areas until May). There WERE several steam tractors here in the early 1900's.

I found the 'blob' at my Great Aunt's house....in the grass that is creeping out into the driveway. I doubt any machinery repairs were done THERE, but it could have easily come in with a load of gravel from somewhere else.

I looked up Babbitt on Wikipedia and the first alloy on the list is 90% tin - 10% copper. The blob could be a tin alloy instead of aluminum.

Thanks for the suggestion!!! and I learned something!smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I was up in Alaska at Gaines creek, we were detecting along the runway and getting those alum. chunks every few feet. There had been an airplane engine on fire the year before and it dripped hot chunks of aluminum all the way down the runway before they got the fire out. Dave

I was up in Alaska at Gaines creek, we were detecting along the runway and getting those alum. chunks every few feet. There had been an airplane engine on fire the year before and it dripped hot chunks of aluminum all the way down the runway before they got the fire out. Dave

Just remember that anyplace guys have built a fire. Your likely to find hunks of metal because they threw their beer cans in the fire. Most fires get hot enough to melt aluminum cans and glass.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember that anyplace guys have built a fire. Your likely to find hunks of metal because they threw their beer cans in the fire. Most fires get hot enough to melt aluminum cans and glass.

Yep, have to agree. We find bunches of aluminum blobs detecting the beaches.

mick