Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin in the morning 1-28-11

Aloha Rick,

The GSSN will be holding an outing on the 28 claim on saturday and I will be there for sure. If you can make it out on saturday also look for my blue jeep.

Good luck out there because the weather should be excellent.

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha Rick,

Just keep an eye out for the GSSN flags/signs and my blue jeep. BTW, i will be carrying my garmin 120 and will be on Channel 11 if you have a radio.

Aloha and see you then.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Stan

We will be down there and on Channel 11 , my wife will be with me so I know that I will not be there a sunrise. I will see you and anybody else that can make it out there. I would hope that Frank can make out in the field, as I would like to talk to him about dry washing.

See you in the morning, hey Jim come on up!

Rick

Well there is nothing like having a great day in the fields to get your created juices flowing so you can write a great trip report, about all your finds. One of these days I will have one of those days when I step out of the jeep trip over the first find of the day then go on to find ten more meteorites. Till that day I guess I'll just have to write about having a great day meeting up with Stan, and the lead I found out there yesterday.

I found Stan over on channel 11, and we met up and started hunting, Stan was trying out his MineLab, and all I could hear from him was them dang helicopters, every time they came flying over, with the interference he was picking up on his machine. I'm sure that when he gets it tuned in he will love the machine!

We didn't find anything, but cheap gas on the way back to Vegas, and that was the high-light of the day.

It's always good to see Stan out in the fields, and can't wait to see the stuff that he finds with his new machine.

There is always the next time, then maybe I will trip over that meteorite..........!

Rick

//snip//

I found Stan over on channel 11, and we met up and started hunting, Stan was trying out his MineLab, and all I could hear from him was them dang helicopters, every time they came flying over, with the interference he was picking up on his machine. I'm sure that when he gets it tuned in he will love the machine!

//snip//

Rick

Hey Rick and Stan!

I sure wanted to be there but had some other stuff going on. Next time we see each other, I may have something that will eliminate that interference issue or reduce it.

I am putting the stuff in my gear now (so I do not forget it)....just remind me to dig them out. I have several. I think Jason has same issue. If it works, they are yours.

Good deal using Channel 11. The radios are working out good.

Sounds like you had an enjoyable day!

Jim

Aloha everyone,

Yep, had a great time out in some awesome weather. Showed up at the GSSN claim 28 for starters and when I heard someone say that the club had a bunch of leftover coins still out in the field I took off with my GMT and found four pennies and four nickels within 30 minutes. By then i was so ready to find me a meteorite! BUT those guys had other plans. Man they sure are good at hiding. mad0229[1].gif

Oh well, you cant be lucky all the time.

Yep, I could tell whenever a helicopter got within a half mile and as it got nearer it made my ears buzz! There has got to be a way of eliminating that irritating noise short of using a stinger missle of them guys.:inocent:

Aloha till next time,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha everyone,

Yep, had a great time out in some awesome weather. Showed up at the GSSN claim 28 for starters and when I heard someone say that the club had a bunch of leftover coins still out in the field I took off with my GMT and found four pennies and four nickels within 30 minutes. By then i was so ready to find me a meteorite! BUT those guys had other plans. Man they sure are good at hiding. mad0229[1].gif

Oh well, you cant be lucky all the time.

Yep, I could tell whenever a helicopter got within a half mile and as it got nearer it made my ears buzz! There has got to be a way of eliminating that irritating noise short of using a stinger missle of them guys.:inocent:

Aloha till next time,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Stan,

It's only when they transmit, right? Also, far away are they when you hear them???....need a distance.

Stan; there will always be some interference, especially at gold basin...that said; when you start up push the tune button, after a few minutes tune button again...then when the heli's fly over point it at them and retune...that should get you as tuned-out as is possible...or jus wait until they clear and go back to hunting...some days are worse than others out there.

fred

Hi Stan,

With my old SD 2100, I also get "audio propwash" when the copters are very near but, the sound is gone so fast, that it doesn't pay for me to retune. I don't get that with other aircraft there, or elsewhere. It's just the frequency that those tour birds use, I guess.

Ben

Stan, with the 3500, I have had many a day down there with that kind of audio warble. Most times I try to take a well needed rest at that point when the noise is too strong. My 3500 is pretty sensitive, I can also tell, before you feel it, when the wind is going to pick up. The machine gets very funny, and warbles with a high 'Wheeewoo'. ML stated that the machine is very sensitive, the last time it was in for a tuneup. I have also had the same issues down at Rich Hill, from the MIL/Comm. aircraft too. Usually when they 'ping' the beacons or are on approach over head. Just my :twocents:

Jason ;)

aloha Guys,

Mahalo to all who provided me with some info. I thought it was just me and my ears being so tuned to the GMT for all them little sounds that it was normal for PI's to work even more so. Guess I am just going to have to retune my ears on the sd2200d.mad0229[1].gif

I can actuall tell when a choppers is heading my way from about 1/2 mile or so. Then I just turn off the headphones and take a break until they are gone. May end up stopping by

Doc's shop later this week and see what he can do about one of his signal enhancers or maybe just a better set of headphones. Will just have to keep playing with it until I get the results I want.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

BTW: I use a set of Jolly Roger headphones that works great on the gmt but seems to be indiferent to the sd2200d. Go figure!:grr01: Any advice on a model headphone or should I just stick with the ones I have.

Stan you might want to look into getting a Signal Enhancer and the Pocket Rocket because they're a good combination on the SD's. The Pocket Rocket is probably the best upgrade since it regulates the voltage into the control box. Jolly Roger headphones should work just fine with this combination since they're basically the same thing as Nugget Busters which is what I use when my Black Widows are out.

I get the same EMI out at Gold Basin with my 4000 only I have more tuning options to deal with it. I usually decrease the gain and always have my swing speed to very slow. This helps out tremendously with the EMI out there.

One night out there I got some pretty nasty and continous EMI and I couldn't tune it out. To this day I still can't figure out what the heck it was and have always figured it must have been the generators or something from the dam.

Jason and Fred if you guys ever upgrade to any of the newer GPX's you'll immeditaly understand why you get so much EMI in some places with the 3500. When I got my 4000 I immediately understood the 3500 had the gain cranked up very high. I had a 3500 for about three months and got rid of it because it just didn't work well for the area I detect for gold. The place sits in between a Navy Base an an Air Force base... Talk about EMI! Ouch!

Aloha Del,

The pocket rocket was my first purchase and I guess I will be talking to Doc about the signal enhancer later this week. Hope that helps with my problems as I really want to get that unit out and start finding stuff that I might have missed with my GMT, although I dont think I missed too much.

Aloha and be safe out there,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi Stan the EMI is terrible there but it can be quieted down alot by using a smaller coil---what size coil are you using ? another tip is to try and keep your coil to the ground as close as possible--try that and if that is'nt working very well switch to a dd coil---hope this helps :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:ph34r2:

Hi Stan the EMI is terrible there but it can be quieted down alot by using a smaller coil---what size coil are you using ? another tip is to try and keep your coil to the ground as close as possible--try that and if that is'nt working very well switch to a dd coil---hope this helps :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:ph34r2:

What do the manufacturers say about this? It sounds to me like a poor front end design that needs to be fixed. If it is radio transmissions causing it, it's RFI not EMI. If you "hear it" then the RF is being rectified somewhere as humans can not hear RF. What you might be hearing is phase cancellation due to a moving RF object...Poor receiver front end design. Has anyone tried to install ferrite chokes (correctly) to reduce the RF influence or decouple the cable? Might make all the difference in the world.

Stan, Jason...you can pick these up at AES in Vegas.

Jason, I will see you this weekend...remind me to hand you some to play with.

Jim