Nugget Shooter Forums

Todays find

wjbell

I went out today to a pit with manzanitaslayer from the board here and another board. He's been taking me out to different places since I was interested his SD, kinda showing me the ropes. He got a nice nugget with his extreme, probably twice+ the weight of mine. But I got a decent 1/2 grammer with my GMT. Pretty good day. Good weather, fun out detecting and got some gold!

picker1.jpg

picker1-scale.jpg

No specifics, but what area were you guys in if you don't mind.

Also, I noticed you werw behind a GMT. What were your settings and any other info you care to share with those of us with the same machine?

No specifics, but what area were you guys in if you don't mind.

Also, I noticed you werw behind a GMT. What were your settings and any other info you care to share with those of us with the same machine?

We were in one of the pits around Dutch Flat, Ca. My settings were pretty standard, right at the arrows with the threshold just where I could hear it. I was looking in a runoff area in the pit (a little trickle drainage) with water running over a small section of exposed bedrock, so it wasn't too deep. Those little drainages in pits where the water from winter storms run over bedrock, or expose more bedrock, are nice places to look. :)

Thanks for the info!

You obviously get it that us VLF users are at a distinct disadvantage in many areas compared to those rich PI owners :)

I saved for a very long time and drywashed my butt off to be able to afford my first Minelab PI.... Still ain't rich, but yes in deep highly mineralized soil we have a real advantage. But in shallow dirt over bedrock a VLF will keep right up with the game in many cases if the owner knows how to make it sing.

I saved for a very long time and drywashed my butt off to be able to afford my first Minelab PI.... Still ain't rich, but yes in deep highly mineralized soil we have a real advantage. But in shallow dirt over bedrock a VLF will keep right up with the game in many cases if the owner knows how to make it sing.

Yeah, I'm starting to think it terms of what my machine can do. If I spend all my time trying to detect where gold's been found (probably with the minelabs) but it may be deep then I'm taking a gamble and will probably be passing over targets. If I concentrate on areas that I know are shallow, close to bedrock, etc and look for those areas, then my chances are a lot better. That's where my machine shines. I guess you've got to get over the honeymoon period with visions of golfball sized nuggets lined up in a row for me :yuk-yuk: