Nugget Shooter Forums

Fisher Gold Bug 2 Coil change out

I am getting ready to purchase a Gold Bug 2 coil. It's the 10" model or whatever size the middle model is. My wife does not like the small coil.

I was told in a casual conversation that going from the small coil to the 10" coil required the unit to be sent in for recalibration. Can someone please confirm / comment on this if you have experience changing coils on this unit? Fisher has not responded.

Thanks!

Jim

Hello Jim.

I can't tell you about the GB, but my TDI requires nothing to change coils.

Just attach a different one, and plug in. I think it's the same for Minelab.

Patrick in Havasu.....

Hey Jim

I have both the small coil and the middle one. I had to send the box back to get a switch fixed and sent the small coil with it just so they could check it out to.

The service dept said all they needed was the box since they had coils there. So I would think no calibration was needed.

Jim,

You don't have to get it recalibrated when switching coil sizes. Just set the ground balance and off you go.

Paul

You absolutely do not have to send it anywhere for recalibration when changing coils. Your source was mistaken.

All,

Thank you for the replies. I very much appreciate it. And, to me it makes sense to not have to send in to recal. What is strange is that this source was a Fisher dealer!!

Okay, next question. Where could you recommend I purchase? I can not find a stocking dealer right off.

I think my wife is going to learn that that little coil is not so bad! I have the 14" coil and I have to dig a really big hole to be able to swing on something really deep in the hole! We set a new personal record yesterday at Franconia digging 50 cals and links. I also dug an aluminum can at 3 feet which was under a 30 pound bolder! I about gave up twice as that bolder was not magnetic. The can was under it! How on earth it ever got there is beyond me. I figure I was there an hour digging that hole!happy0193[1].gif

I've switched from all 3 and back again multiple times a day for many years and that dealer----CAVEAT EMPTOR as that bs is bs--John :tisk-tisk:

• 1 month later...

hi all!

I wanted to thank all those that replied to my question about the Coil change out. I finally found a Fisher Dealer that had a 10" coil in stock and as of today, my wife now has a 10" coil. :rolleyes:

It appears to work fine!

Thanks again....learning all the time!

Jim

If your experience is anything like mine you are going to love the tiny coil and hate the big coil. The tiny coil is darn near as deep and a lot more sensitive. It is a lot quieter and more stable too. The big 14" falses a lot and is squealy in the slightest mineralization. I dont use anything but the little coil on a 36" piece of PVC pipe and it is the best tiny gold machine in the world.

I have had trouble with GBII coils lasting. And it has been the mid sized coil that I have replaced repeatedly. I am pretty rough on a detector but I somehow think that the mid sized coils are prone to fail. They seem like a great coil and that is what I found my first nugget with back in the day. But dont be surprised to be ordering another one within a year or two.

:thumbsupanim smallest coils rock for ease a use around boulders,under brush,trashy areas, in highly mineralized ground and sensitivity that's even hard to imagine-John :thumbsupanim
:thumbsupanim WOOHOOO testing began on the new Gold bug-batteries supplied by fisher died in 2 1/2 hours with no earphones AND runs on a single battery. The battery test meter has only 3 bars and not the standard 5 to see better the battery strength. 97.5 hours a testing to go but rain,hail,sleet and snow put the kabash as tests MUST be run in the boonies to acess properly-come on sun--John :head:

If your experience is anything like mine you are going to love the tiny coil and hate the big coil. The tiny coil is darn near as deep and a lot more sensitive. It is a lot quieter and more stable too. The big 14" falses a lot and is squealy in the slightest mineralization. I dont use anything but the little coil on a 36" piece of PVC pipe and it is the best tiny gold machine in the world.

I have had trouble with GBII coils lasting. And it has been the mid sized coil that I have replaced repeatedly. I am pretty rough on a detector but I somehow think that the mid sized coils are prone to fail. They seem like a great coil and that is what I found my first nugget with back in the day. But dont be surprised to be ordering another one within a year or two.

Interesting! I don't really hunt gold very often and have not done so with the GB2's yet. My GB2 has the 14" coil and I've been very successful. I've compared it with hunting buddies dectectors and it finds everything they have when we play with throw-downs. And, it covers a lot of ground which is a primary concern for us. You simply can not do that with a small 6" coil. The 6" coil really shines in tight places and with targets near the surface. One of my wife's finds was in a crack between two large rocks where I could not get the big coil into. So now, the 6" coil will be in the pack for quick change out when it's called for. She has not had a chance to try the 10" coil in the filed yet. It appears to work well with the under a gram iron throw downs. Make the same zip-zip on then as mine does. I do notice it is very much more sensitive to metal on it;s flanks....not sure I understand why.

How do you have the PVC pipe set up with your coil? That gives me an idea!!

Jim

snip

I have had trouble with GBII coils lasting. And it has been the mid sized coil that I have replaced repeatedly. I am pretty rough on a detector but I somehow think that the mid sized coils are prone to fail. They seem like a great coil and that is what I found my first nugget with back in the day. But don't be surprised to be ordering another one within a year or two.

Have you ever tore one of the bad coils apart to see where the trouble is? Do you still have them? I would like to tear one apart to see the insides one of these days.

Jim

Hi all,

Just a quick note to lket you know the status of the coil change out.

Went to Gold Basin yesterday and the wife had here first chance of using the new 10" coil.

Guess what? It would not ground balance. I then swapped my control head and it also would not balance.

This is what the Fisher dealer told me would happen without factory recal.

Both control heads work perfectly fine on both the 6" and the 14" coils. Neither will balance on the new 10" coil.

There is something about the GB2 new coils. I am awaiting response from the factory to see what my options are.

Cheers!

Jim

Hi all,

Just a quick note to lket you know the status of the coil change out.

Went to Gold Basin yesterday and the wife had here first chance of using the new 10" coil.

Guess what? It would not ground balance. I then swapped my control head and it also would not balance.

This is what the Fisher dealer told me would happen without factory recal.

Both control heads work perfectly fine on both the 6" and the 14" coils. Neither will balance on the new 10" coil.

There is something about the GB2 new coils. I am awaiting response from the factory to see what my options are.

Cheers!

Jim

The 10" coils would not respond to ground balance that went bad. I was told it was an internal short in the windings but who knows? Sounds like your 10" is doing the same.

The would be slightly "positive" no matter where the ground balance was set and did not give a response on any target. Just a nice threshold hum and a raise in threshold when lowered to the ground.

Sorry, I tore that coil apart and made a big magnet head to hunt meteorites with.

The 10" coils would not respond to ground balance that went bad. I was told it was an internal short in the windings but who knows? Sounds like your 10" is doing the same.

The would be slightly "positive" no matter where the ground balance was set and did not give a response on any target. Just a nice threshold hum and a raise in threshold when lowered to the ground.

Sorry, I tore that coil apart and made a big magnet head to hunt meteorites with.

I finally got a hold of a nice fellow (technician) from Fisher. He said yes, it appears the calibration was done on the specific coil it had.:rolleyes:

I told him I am a retired electronic wiz kid and asked if there was anything I could do to calibrate it.. He asked me if I had any ferrite. I said yes and what flavor, as I have many. He talked me through the procedure to factory calibrate the thing and now it balances just fine. Kids, don't try this at home as it voids the warranty. Calibration is actually very straight forward. You can tune them to a specific coil and it's a balancing act between several coils. If you are lucky all coils will hopefully match and no retuning is necessary. I was not that lucky but I know know how to calibrate them at that level. I did this on my bench, but could do that procedure in the field if necessary.

So once again...happy camper. :thumbsupanim

Jim

Archived