Nugget Shooter Forums

All,

I started this thread to keep this somewhat on topic. In a couple other threads, the discussion centered around the trespass issues along the BNSF tracks.

Here is the information I have currently gathered.

According to Mr Gregg Whaley, Supervisor, Signing Control for the Mohave County Public Works, the County does not maintain the signs at this Franconia Crossing. Nor do they maintain the road there. He stated, without any factual documentation to back him up, "If the Stop signs are present at the crossing, this usually means the railroad is maintaining the Stop signs and are granting permission for the public to cross at this location."

Mr. Chris Watson, from the AZ Corporation Commission responded and provided maps and data about the Franconia Crossing.

It is in fact registered as a private crossing. He stated because of that, the No Trespassing is valid. However, that does not mean BNSF is not allowing people to cross there. Note that without a manned guard, they simply can not stop it from happening. If one of their agents is there at the time, you could be ticketed for trespass.

Up until this point, I had not received any reply to my requests from BNSF. Mr. Watson provided me with another BNSF contact and I forwarded him the letter. I received a response From Mr. Melvin Thomas from BNSF within a few minutes...as I type this. He is doing some research.

So, that is where it stands at this point. I will update this thread as I receive an answer from BNSF. I truly hope for a positive response.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Jim

Hi Guys,

The Railroad right-of way IS private property. And the 150 feet is on BOTH sides from the centerline (meaning the total width is 300 feet) It is NOT a street, highway, or County road along side of it. If you simply wait until the trains have passed in both directions, you can cross, and quickly get to any parking NOT on their property, and NOT within the boundaries of the Wilderness area. If you park inside their right-of-way, the Sheriff's Office gets called, and they WILL spoil your day, and it ruins it for all the OTHER hunters that know the drill, and don't call attention to themselves from the railroad, or the authorities. PLEASE be considerate, Ben

Ben you beat me to the post.

If all knew these simple rules we'd be better off than calling attention to it through county and rail road people.

Those trains run approximately every 17 minutes its not hard to be out of sight untill they pass.

I would have to agree. "Poke a stick at a hornets nest and your going to get stung..." Just my :twocents: We might be starting something that should be kept quiet or our only access point will be guarded, closed, or no longer accessible. Jason ;)

Yeah dude leave this alone and don't pursue it anymore! There are some things in this hobby thats best to not call attention to and this is certainly one of them. It's happened to most people who have spent any amount of time out there so the warning you got is nothing new. I'm just happy I haven't heard of anybody getting a ticket YET. To avoid this mess just don't park within 150 feet of both sides of the railrod tracks and you'll be fine.

While your at it contat Bill and ask him to nuke your posts about this. Remember this is being broadcasted to the world.

Hi Ben, Frank and Jay.

I agree. Poke the bear and get bit. I tried to shed the light on this issue but to no avail. What!!! you can’t see the fence on both sides of the tracks?????? That’s the easement.!!!

And if you do not know how to use Mohave County G.I.S to find out where the wilderness is you are really in trouble. Even when the signs are not there!!. We need a spokes person like a hole in the head. Wish someone would tell it like it is.!!! Shut up and hunt.!!! Until it’s over. Sounds like its most likely over real soon. I only wanted a few more hunts on the north side.

Wayne

Hi Ben, Frank and Jay.

I agree. Poke the bear and get bit. I tried to shed the light on this issue but to no avail. What!!! you can't see the fence on both sides of the tracks?????? That's the easement.!!!

And if you do not know how to use Mohave County G.I.S to find out where the wilderness is you are really in trouble. Even when the signs are not there!!. We need a spokes person like a hole in the head. Wish someone would tell it like it is.!!! Shut up and hunt.!!! Until it's over. Sounds like its most likely over real soon. I only wanted a few more hunts on the north side.

Wayne

Guys,

Ouch!mad0264[1].gif

Let me bring to your attention that due to lack of action in the past, BNSF closed access to this crossing. It was closed to access long before me. Ignoring it is why it is the way it now. Ignoring it is not going to make it go away. So please do not try to hang this on me.

I also want to point out that I have not not implied in any way shape or form that I represent anyone but myself when communicating with these people and don't think for one minute I am in any way suggesting I am a spokesperson for this group. I've gathered/researched factual information on the matter and I will be seeking permission to cross. I thought you guys would be interesting in seeing the status. As it stands right now, NO ONE has permission to cross those tracks. Not my doing and not my fault. So with that, I will not bother you with this any longer. I hope you never get caught!

Respectfully,

Jim

Can you imagine any railroad company giving permission to cross an uncontrolled crossing? Ain't gonna happen. If train met car with permission to cross what would the army of lawyers on both sides of the tracks think of that?

Right on to you Jim for trying to figure this out in a responsible way.

Might work out to be no harm, no foul.

Bill C

Aloha Jim,

Well now that some forum members have vented maybe we can all just go about our own business and go back to hunting meteorites. Jim, sorry if some guys have misread your posts and thought you were just being a "busy body" but it is still good to see that some people want to know the "rest of the story".

Too bad they just couldn't have just emailed you direct and explained the situation. :twocents:

Aloha and see you and Wendy out in the field soon.

Stan aka Ka'imi

If BNSF really wanted to close off access to the crossing I can assure they would do it, then nobody could cross the tracks. All it takes is for one person to call attention to a certain matter then all access to the area gets closed off.

It's always been like this and what happened to you is nothing new. If your going to be in a hobby like this unfortunately once in a great while you will have to deal with a confrontational person and it's all part of it. The best way to handle it is to smile say your sorry and that you didn't know any better and move on.

Jim, I'd go so far as to say I don't think anyone was trying to belittle or take you down in any way understand this.

Its just that this is a very "touchy" subject.

Sometimes the squeeky wheel gets the grease but in a situation like this you could get much more than the grease.

The Railroads are very powerfull hell they own the mineral rights under the land I own and I don't even live close to a railroad track !!!

They probably own much of the western US or more.

For many years since the strewnfield was discovered and even before that with prospecting and mining interested parties co-existed with the situation and respected it.

There are tunnels for crossing on foot or with ATVs you don't have to cross over the tracks to gain access.

If people parked out of sight and respected the right of way, and Kept an eye out for oncomming trains because the engineer can see you too up in the distance on the tracks, I believe all would be well.

That one smooth track crossing that most all use doesn't have any bearing on any other property its sole purpose is for the railroad to access and maintain the tracks.

There are no public roads for anyone to have to cross the tracks to get to.

I just don't know about this sometimes its better to LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE rather than disturb them.

I sincerly hope you take this paragraph in stride and not be upset with mine or others thoughts on the subject, no harm or insult intended buddy.