Nugget Shooter Forums

Az Dept of mines closing

richs

It really is a shame what the state is doing to the Dept. That building is an icon to mining history in Arizona and all the efforts of volunteers, and staff will be remembered. Anyone that has never had the chance should go see it today. I assume all the gold , meteorites ,and mineral specimens on loan can be retrieved after the 21st? or have already?

One by One there all being shut down due to the states over spending.

That will make it just that much harder for large Corp.s to start up new mines

so that means fewer jobs and even less money to the state. Do you get the feeling

that this country is going to hell in a hand basket at a VERY fast rate? I DO!!!

Dont forget, the feds are suing Arizona over the right to protect its own borders....and lawyers dont come cheap, nothing worse than spending money when you shouldnt have to. Only in America can you find a government suing one of its own states for enforcing its own laws.

Hi All

The mines department upstairs in the mineral museum with all the archives, files and staff are the ones going. The museum itself is still operating and has been taken over by the Az Historical Society. I'm told the Historical Society will maintain the mineral museum till the end of the yearish or until they get funding for the conversion of the museum and building to the Az centennial museum. Adam is correct there is a nice exhibit of gold and meteorites there as well as other rocks and minerals worth a few hours enjoying before they are gone as well. Over the years I have done some research on mines , claims and production in the upstairs archives. Everytime the info shocked me including old newspaper and magazine articles. It will be missed by all and hope some private concern could salvage the archives :cry2: . Happy Huntin John B.

Oh dang , I guess my info was a little off. I didnt realize that the upstairs was like a separate entity in a way. Regardless, those files they have should be moved to wherever the State Mine inspector will be and be made available to the public as before.

This really sucks,as I have done some research in the past up there as well....

This is just step 2 in the 3 pronged attack on our mining legacy-first litigate us to death,then wipe out all records and then 100% illegal and viola the elves at Home Depot will then manufacture all the drywall,cement,gravels,steel and such from enviro pixie dust forevermore--- :nono: John

This has been in the works for some time. Many of us wrote letters to - among others - Sen. McCain, Congresswoman Giffords, and Governor Brewer, trying to save the offices, website and museum. There are efforts underway to privately fund an alternative, but it is still in its infancy. - Terry

Hi All

The mines department upstairs in the mineral museum with all the archives, files and staff are the ones going. The museum itself is still operating and has been taken over by the Az Historical Society. I'm told the Historical Society will maintain the mineral museum till the end of the yearish or until they get funding for the conversion of the museum and building to the Az centennial museum. Adam is correct there is a nice exhibit of gold and meteorites there as well as other rocks and minerals worth a few hours enjoying before they are gone as well. Over the years I have done some research on mines , claims and production in the upstairs archives. Everytime the info shocked me including old newspaper and magazine articles. It will be missed by all and hope some private concern could salvage the archives :cry2: . Happy Huntin John B.

I have been to the museum a few times when I was living in AZ. Excellent collection of minerals and a great source of information in archives. If that disappears, it will be a serious loss. Hopefully it can all be saved for future public use.

Steve

Just a quick reminder of when this was first posted here on Bill's forum - Terry

"Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

What is happening to

The Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum?

Governor Brewers Plan:

NOT due to budget cuts

Execution attempted in secret

5C Centennial Exhibit: Cotton, Citrus, Cattle, Copper Climate

Designed and built by out of state firm

Transferred to Arizona Historical Society

Brewers tangled tales

Increased cost to taxpayers

What may be lost:

State tradition preceding statehood

Support for K-12 education

Outdoor displays

Most of mineral collection

Educational displays

Lapidary art and shop

Mining technology

Donations and volunteers time

Polly Rosenbaums legacy

What you can do:

Oppose any bill eliminating AMMM in House and Senate

Express disapproval to Governor (election year)

Contact Centennial Commission, especially potential donors

Express disapproval to contractor: Gallagher & Assoc.

Alert teachers and students

Contact news media throughout state

Participate in international discussion - www.mindat.org

Introduce issue to election campaign

Mike

AZ4AU

WSPA #60"

Sounds a little like the way Cali went some long time back. I can't even remember how many decades ago the California Division of Mines was axed, but I do remember the fabulous mineral displays of a great age gone bye-bye -- at least here in SoCal. My heart goes out to you AZ guys.

As of yesterday it looks like the all the files and reports on mines and mineral resources are going to saved after all :thumbsupanim, the Arizona Geological Survey (AZGS) finalized an agreement with Arizona Dept. of Mines & Mineral Resources (ADMMR) that turns over custody of the documents to AZGS!!!

Also Five of the six ADMMR staff accepted offers to transfer to AZGS!!!

http://arizonageology.blogspot.com/2011/01/we-have-deal-azgs-will-keep-mine-files.html

This might be better as it's basically joining the 2 agencies together!

Skip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys-

The University of Arizona is selling part of its mineral collection.

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/821115e1-e07f-5cd8-a5a5-ec9f703cb530.html

http://www.uamineralmuseum.org/

I think I saw this collection when I was in Tucson for the shows a few years ago. Great collection with many species available for viewing. Sad to see them have to sell part of that collection.

Steve

That was great news. The more ground we loose the closer we are to loosing our freedom!!!

We already have lost most...

The freedoms we still have all have a "BUT" attached...

You can own your own land, But...

You can own a gun, but...

You can use public lands, but...

You can live the American dream, but...

I will now check myself as I feel a rant brewing when I get going on this crap. It is hard to follow my own forums guidelines at times when I get pondering on what may be coming in the future. boorb

We already have lost most...

The freedoms we still have all have a "BUT" attached...

You can own your own land, But...

You can own a gun, but...

You can use public lands, but...

You can live the American dream, but...

I will now check myself as I feel a rant brewing when I get going on this crap. It is hard to follow my own forums guidelines at times when I get pondering on what may be coming in the future. boorb

Our rights are being turned into privileges then we are made to pay for them. Afterwards, on a whim they are taken away.

:thumbsupanim Glad to see they are still there but bummer to see even duplicates sold as may be same mineral BUT they vary in amazing ways in accordance to purity,deposition method ,size and quality-John <_<