Nugget Shooter Forums

Irons, and Chondrites, and warnings, Oh My!

Howdy Folks,

Monday was a beautiful day hunting down at Franconia. I don't think it could have been any nicer. Whether they are Franconia's or SaW 05's, it doesn't matter, those irons are fun to hunt. My plan was to hunt the north side and have a good time, only hunting until about 11:30, the move to the south side. I parked in the usual spot and walked in and with-in about 10 minutes had a few irons to my name. Most of the morning was hunt and peck, with the trash being the small wire, and only an occasional .50 cal or link. I met up with Jim about 12 pm and did some 'crumbing' looking for more irons. He went one direction and I the other, and found a nice little half-round, somewhat oriented gun-metal blue iron. It has a small impact on it, and an ever so slight roll over lip. That made my day for sure, as it was the last piece before heading back to the truck to see if I had a warning notice too. I guess where I was parked was ok, but probably would have gotten one too, if the RR personal could not have gotten through. Although, in the 5 yrs. hunting down there, and parking in the same spot, I think it might be an ok area. Upon leaving the area, an old couple stopped by asking some questions about the mine road, and after showing and telling about meteorites, they departed. We also ran into a RR employee doing some inspections on the track and he stated that the right of way is 150 ft. from the tracks. So, as long as we stay that distance, we should be ok. Here are my finds. The biggest iron weighs in at 0.8 gr. Until next time, keep looking down. Jason ;)

DSC07338.jpg

DSC07335.jpg

Jason

Neat finds, looks like you had a great day, and you even got to hook-up with Jim again!

While Monday was a holiday for you guys, the railroad employee that wrote up the warning could have been having a bad day and thought that he would pass it on to Jim. Great that you guys ran into the other employee that was doing the inspections on the tracks, and got the information about there right of way, and thanks for passing it along.

The first time I heard about that they could write you a ticket for being on their tracks I was socked, I never hear anything like that in Fla. You always see people walking on the railroad tracks, many of these people will get hit by the trains, you always have a few every year that you read about, you got to wonder if they are just committing suicide!

Stan was the first person that brought it to my attention a couple of years ago, and ever since that I have always looked to see if I saw anyone from the RR, before I crossed under the tracks. Some people just don't want to se anybody having fun!

We need to get a trip down to Gold Basin, on the weekend where a bunch of us could meet up!

Have a good one guys, and keep looking...!

Rick

Jason

Neat finds, looks like you had a great day, and you even got to hook-up with Jim again!

While Monday was a holiday for you guys, the railroad employee that wrote up the warning could have been having a bad day and thought that he would pass it on to Jim. Great that you guys ran into the other employee that was doing the inspections on the tracks, and got the information about there right of way, and thanks for passing it along.

The first time I heard about that they could write you a ticket for being on their tracks I was socked, I never hear anything like that in Fla. You always see people walking on the railroad tracks, many of these people will get hit by the trains, you always have a few every year that you read about, you got to wonder if they are just committing suicide!

Stan was the first person that brought it to my attention a couple of years ago, and ever since that I have always looked to see if I saw anyone from the RR, before I crossed under the tracks. Some people just don't want to se anybody having fun!

Rick

Hi Rick!

Jason forgot to mention I was about 50 yards from him when he found that round one! I should change my list name to Lucky Charm!

I could hire out and just stand by people so they could find meteorites! :hahaha: What I find interesting is the lack of corrosion on these little irons. It is obvious they are resistant to the terrestrial elements. Which means that have a pretty good amount of nickle and other stuff in them. I hope someday someone sends them to a lab to be tested to verify their content to compare with the SaW's. It would lay to rest all the myths that go along with those irons. We can speculate and guess all day long. BTW, my first Franny meteorite (when I broke it in half) had a complete chondrule in it about the same exact size as Jason's find.

I am thinking about selling hot rocks. $10 a bag!!! I could make millions!!!angry-smiley-032[1].gif What do you think! Should I quit my day job??? ahaha!!

I sent a sample of my first meteorite to a lab today. I want to go though this process as an educational experience.

In regards to the tracks. BNSF is really proud of closing crossings. They boast a lot about that fact in the eyes of safety. In reality, it makes a better bottom line figure for their stock holders. The tracks are posted No Trespassing at the crossing. The law in AZ is they do not have to post. The guidelines in Arizona are 50 feet from the track. I think if one were to measure the fence line there, it would probably work out to 150 feet. You can read parts of http://www.azcc.gov/Divisions/Safety/forms/AzRailSafetySecurityGuide.pdf as reference.

With all of that, no trespassing means any activity on their property....going across, under or traveling on their right of way. This is walking, crawling, driving, etc.

At some time in the past, the railroad moved the crossing at Franconia Road. You now have to travel a lot further east to cross. And to get back onto Franconia Road on the North side of the tracks you have to travel on their right of way to do so. That railroad worker told us that. Further, there is no where else reasonable to cross and they have effectively landlocked all the properties north of the tracks.

The County, I think, maintains the stop signs at this crossing. If that is the case, and I am checking with their public works, then they would likely know if that is a valid public crossing. If it's not, then the county has some real explaining to do as to how the County Supervisors allowed the land lock! I also think, but have not found yet, a law that says if a property owner has a road going through their property and they decide to close access to this road, then they must provide reasonable access along their propertie's right of way. I know I've read this somewhere when I owned some land near Ashfork. A property owner fenced off the road to our property and he was forced to cut a road along his right of way back to the other side of his property where the road continued. I am not sure of the wording or of that law.

Once I get some return communications, I'll have some more details on the issue.

Cheers!

Jim

Aloha Jason,

Very nice iron with the impact on it. Did you find it near the area you parked when I last met you at the end of the road? If so, just southeast of that spot is where I found a bunch of them irons about 100-150 feet from where i parked my jeep. Looks like no one has hunted near the parking area at all. That wont last for long at this rate tho. Will try to get out there again this saturday to snag a couple more irons before they are all found.

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

PS: Jim, if you plan on going to franconia on saturday lets meet for some morning coffee to make plans.

Jim, I have a buddy that can do XRF on specimens, and will see if or what he can do with it. I'm not sure what size of a specimen they need to do that or what it involves. I did find some interesting pics of shrapnel to include what looked like those round, semi-flat irons. I'm still thinking they are not of this earth, but who knows.

Stan, these were found in the usual spot on the North side, and has been hit pretty hard. There are spots here and there that people missed because of the coils and types of detectors, but includes some walking too.

Rick, GB is always fun and maybe we can do a hunt down there in the future too. I haven't been there is a few weeks, but need to lay low for a bit, especially with Tucson coming up and start saving my pennies.

Jason ;)

Jason, Hey Man Nice Irons! It's interesting that you found them relatively close in. I keep going back to a place where I found a few in a small area, 100 Square yards or so, thinking there has got to be more there, but you know two hours latter, and looking at the same plants over an over, thinking about giving them names, and I head on. The one with the impact is great. Irons are cool, you never get tired of looking at them. I spent Saturday at another dry lake, great day, but only 22 cals, an old, old shoe, I kept it. No trespassing, No smiling, Just go to work and pay your taxes, and shut up about it or we'll give you a fine and/or throw you in jail.... So greater than 150 feet, preferably behind a bush, OK then, fine. Jason Good Luck Hunting! Clifton

. So greater than 150 feet, preferably behind a bush, OK then, fine. Jason Good Luck Hunting! Clifton

Hi Clifton,

150 feet is no magic number. This needs to be clear. There is no information in the document I posted earlier in regards to 150 feet. However, I "think" that is the distance between the fence line. The railroad worker we spoke with was not definitive. 50 feet is the norm and is documented. The posted sign is NO-Trespassing. Until someone can come up with actual information on that crossing, it is what is what it is.

Information I have gathered so far indicates the original permitted crossing was closed years ago. I have yet to receive answers back from BNSF, Mohave County Public Works or BLM. Still waiting and hoping for a positive answer.

Cheers!

Jim