Nugget Shooter Forums

Asking for permission

Coolcoyotes

This forum was very helpful on my other post - so I'm back with a question. Thanks in advance.

So... I want to play in creeks across the Charlotte area. Some in my "backyard" and others on land all around. On google maps I can find creeks and even figure out a few that would be easy to get to. But most seem to be deep on someone's farm or property.

My question is... do you just drive up and knock? The places I've seen have like 12 old cars rusting in the yard each with a founding member of the NRA sticker. (O to live free of oppressive HOAs).

So how do you go about getting permission. And do people really let total strangers come pan gold on their property??

TX.

TX it would help a bunch if you smoked a corn cob pipe and played the banjo....get some CD's with

banjo music and some square dance callin....join the NRA and get a "life time" membership sticker

for your bumper and one for your windshield....put it on the front bumper...on the back bumper put

a sticker about don't trust politicans...wear a beat up cowboy hat or baseball cap...both with a

lot of hat pins making fun of everything except the Baptist....it would help if you have a 4x4

pick-up instead of some wossie little car...a Warn wench on the front bumper(don't hide the NRA sticker)

and above all else...a three gun gun rack in the back window...a shotgun...a .22 squirrel rifle...

and a lever action 30-30 for deer...

Remember you only get one chance to make a good first impression!!!

P.S.- all of the above advise is what it took me 17 years of living in Easter Okla. and Western Ark..

to learn....one other item that's a sure winner is a 150 lb. blood hound in the back of the PU...

All you can do is ask, approach them in a manner that you would like to be approached if you were them and try to make a good impression, if you need to put on the "GOOD OLE BOY" mask then do it, I have no problem doing this becasue I am a "GOOD OLE BOY" :ROFL: , but be honest no matter what, most people can tell when your trying to pull the wool over their eyes, you will get a lot of NO answers but you will get some YES answers as well.

One thing I have found that makes a lot of people say NO is that they're afraid of you suing them if you get hurt on their property, I have copies of a "Release of Liability" form that I will present if I sense or they mention that this is a concern of theirs, also another concern I have run into is their afraid that your going to leave the property a mess after you done prospecting, if I sense or they mention that is an issue I explain what all I will be doing and what I do to to avoid damaging their property, i.e. filling any holes from digging or dredging in the streambed when I'm finished, no under cutting or digging into stream banks, no damage to vegetation, etc. I also have a form that states that the property will be in the same state/condition as I found it when I leave, I also encourage them to inspect what I'm doing the first time I'm on the property or anytime for that matter.

Another thing I try to do is encourage them to join me in prospecting their property if they would like to do so, you would be surprised at how many people have never tried gold panning not to mention dredging, many will come down with GOLD FEVER if they do join in and find some gold and will become a possible new friend and can open up possibilities of gaining access to neighboring properties, but this can be a double edged sword if they find some gold and they may stop you from coming back, GOLD FEVER can do some strange things to some people. :yuk-yuk:

Skip

Hilarious Garimpo! I really lost it on the "woos" car... because I SOOO drive a Hyundai Accent! I busted out laughing. However... ahem... I do have a 93 jeep wrangler that I totally look smokin cool in. Only thing is - the zip-in windows are broken and it's like driving a wind tunnel in January. And you know what they say about 4 wheel drive vs 2 wheel. ... 4 wheel gets you stuck further in. But I do got me a banjer. Been known to do a bit of 2-steppin. Praise God I don't have to make fun of Baptists!! I do live in the South.

The TX in my first post was short for Thanx. :-) Too much texting. (goes with the Hyundai.)

Great advice, Skip. You're in SC? You KNOW they DO shoot. :-D

Me 'n my friend - well - we're just a coupla 40 something women scouting the county for a place to dig in the dirt. Spend a lifetime trying to avoid the kind of danger that gets you headlinin the evening news and it's kinda hard to approach the good ol boys on a hundred acres of nowhere. Guess I'll have to rely on all those moves I learned in that self-defense class back in 1999. Or that NRA membership Garimpa mentioned...

So - any other WOMEN on this forum?

Cathy

Cathy,

Yes I live in South Carolina the extreme S.E portion, I do a good bit/most of my prospecting in upstate S.C., N.C. and N. Ga.

Yes I do know they do shoot, but I ain't skerd. :hahaha:

If you're up to a little drive you can check out the Uwharrie National Forest, be sure to go the Ranger's Station and get up to date with their rules for prospecting, they will give you a map that shows where you can and can't go, also be sure to follow the rules to the letter, the Rangers in the field are rather strict about the "rules" there.

The basic rules are no mechanical equipment, you can use shovels, sluices, pans, etc., you cannot use dredges, anything with a motor, and they also will not let you use a hand powered sucker tube made form PVC, they seem to think it is a dredge :whaaaa:, no metal detectors are allow without a special permit and getting one is like pulling teeth, they will write you a citation if they see you with one, you can only dig in the streambed taking only material that is submerged, and also you will need to pan out any gold and leave all other materials in the forest, i.e. sand, blacksand, rocks, etc, they do not allow you to take material home to process later, they may not tell you that at the Ranger's station that little bit of info is from friends and myself's personal experience.

All of that said you can find some fine gold and sometimes some nice little pickers if you get off the beaten track and follow some of the small creeks back aways to get to less worked areas, you can try the Uwharrie River, but it is loaded with blacksand and you will work your butt off the find a few specks.

Skip

garimpo is right! In small town or back hill areas you gotta look the look, talk the talk, or know somebody to get any favors. I grew up in some small towns and have a house now in a town with 500 people, 501 when somebody comes to visit.

You may get lucky and just go up and ask the owners and get permission, but if you're wearing a beat up John Deere hat and muddy work boots your chances are better. If they take one look and think "city folk" your chances are likely gone forever.

One idea that might help is to go to the local store or gas station and ask who owns the property, then get the name of the person who told you that info, so you can use it when you ask the owner. Something like, "George down at the gas station said to come and ask you if it would be alright if I..." That gets you a little more credibility if you know the name of somebody local.

If you do get permission be sure to say thanks and offer to buy them a slice of apple pie if you see them around.

Good luck (y'all).

:hmmmmm: #1 rule a thumb is look for any NO TRESSPASSING signs and approach from there if none. If posted ,a simple note left in the mailbox works just fine if their interested. I have iron clad contracts spelling out all indemification,%,time periods and show pics of pounds and the fever usually hits'm bigtime. I have a list of refrences for the hard core folks but rarely needed. John

Cathy I have to apologize....when I made the post above I didn't see your gender and in my book

your alright...you took the post as I intended...a little pun to ease the tension...

Now it seems that I'm not the only hillbilly on here...all the advise above can only be gained by

living it...

All the advise is good stuff to consider...very important don't look like "city folks" and the

gas station or grocery store info is another good lead....also stop your "macho Hyundai" well

away from the front of the house and before leaving the car sit still and look out for dogs..

BIG DOGS that bite....then when you step out of the car don't go up to the house right away...

lean against the front of the car for a spell...that way your not threatening...wait until

somebody either opens the front door or comes outside...if you go alone don't under any cir-

circumstances go inside...after waiting for a minute or two and nobody says anything or comes

outside just holler "hello in the house"...

Remember if you hear the "bang" you ain't dead!!!

Thanks Garimpo. I've always wanted to be one of the boys - so all's good. :-D And if the Jeep runs good enough, maybe I can make it past my city folk grocery store and get out where a Jeep oughta be.

I'm adventurous, but try to be wise. I'll find panning buddies and we'll stay safe.

Lots of great tips in response to this post - I like the

• liability releases,
  • offering to show owners how to pan,
  • providing photos and references and
  • promising to respect property.

Being prepared with those items and answers will help me be more confident if/when I do approach a property owner. Thanks everyone! This forum is great - everyone has been helpful with suggestions. I look forward to posting my first find!

Cathy

Thanks Garimpo. I've always wanted to be one of the boys - so all's good. :-D And if the Jeep runs good enough, maybe I can make it past my city folk grocery store and get out where a Jeep oughta be.

I'm adventurous, but try to be wise. I'll find panning buddies and we'll stay safe.

Lots of great tips in response to this post - I like the

• liability releases,
  • offering to show owners how to pan,
  • providing photos and references and
  • promising to respect property.

Being prepared with those items and answers will help me be more confident if/when I do approach a property owner. Thanks everyone! This forum is great - everyone has been helpful with suggestions. I look forward to posting my first find!

Cathy

All and good Cathy but don't forget the banjo and don't mention the movie Deliverance.

This is the best laugh I've had in some time, thanks to all, especially Garimpo. Man I couldn't read all you were saying for the tears from laughing so hard. Since I live in Western North Carolina and just came home this afternoon from a presentation of the Plott Bear dogs by one of the Plott descendants I can relate to all you said. By the way for the one who don't know it, the Plott Hound is our State Dog. I've also been to the head waters of the river on Whiteside Mountain where the movie deliverance was made and a Freewill Baptist for good measure.

Laughter is good for the soul !!