Nugget Shooter Forums

Miners Moss or Miners Carpet?

busspass

I recently purchased a 5'' Keene dredge. It's one of the models with three sluices (2 small ones on either side of the big one). It came with some miners moss that needs to be replaced. I've never really used miners moss. I was wondering if it's all just opinion or if one will work better than the other for dredging? Will indoor/outdoor carpet do the same thing as "miners carpet"? Thanks.

post-22537-0-52597700-1295226826_thumb.j

There is one HUGE problem with miners moss. When the flow of waters /gravels are stopped or slowed considerably(plugup,loss of prime,run outta gas or hose crimped) it instantly transforms in a solid and from that point on you lose at least 90% of your gold and resuspension can never happen. Time to clean out the box again and again and again-NO-- time better spent sucking,shoveling or hydroing...Needless to say your underwater or back turned and adios all your oro puro and your jus' a peeing'n d' wind. Only use UNBACKED carpets as they clean constantly and allow for mistakes(flow interuptions)and don't impact either-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

There is one HUGE problem with miners moss. When the flow of waters /gravels are stopped or slowed considerably(plugup,loss of prime,run outta gas or hose crimped) it instantly transforms in a solid and from that point on you lose at least 90% of your gold and resuspension can never happen. Time to clean out the box again and again and again-NO-- time better spent sucking,shoveling or hydroing...Needless to say your underwater or back turned and adios all your oro puro and your jus' a peeing'n d' wind. Only use UNBACKED carpets as they clean constantly and allow for mistakes(flow interuptions)and don't impact either-tons a au 2 u 2 -John

post-22152-0-34176300-1295277320_thumb.j

Keene 3 inch Jet Flare Dredge

$2,995.00

post-22152-0-94440900-1295277355_thumb.j

Miner’s Moss

$29.00

Listening to Hoser John's advice..

PRICELESS

:thumbsupanim Terry

Very rarely do I disagree with Hoser. I have found that ribbed carpet under miners moss is the cat's meow. In your dredge, by the way, one of Keene's greatest, the side sluices will work extremely well with just ribbed carpet. those side sluices are fine gold hungry and not interfered with by the pounding of 4"+ rocks!

Thanks Dorado. I tried just the carpet in the side sluices and the riffles lay much better now. I think it was the expanded metal that was causing the space in between the carpet and the bottom of the riffles. Any one else ever had that problem with having the expanded metal under the riffles?

Thanks Dorado. I tried just the carpet in the side sluices and the riffles lay much better now. I think it was the expanded metal that was causing the space in between the carpet and the bottom of the riffles. Any one else ever had that problem with having the expanded metal under the riffles?

dont do away with the expanding metal thT TRAPS MOST OF THE SMALL PICKERS THAT GET PAST THE FINE RIBBED RUBBER MATTING. i use the carpet which works well on a 5 foot re circulating sluice.

in front of the riffes i have a section with about a foot long of the fine ribbed rubber matting, this traps about 90 percent of the fine gold.

small pickers usually wait on the riffle blade before it gets back to the expanded metal with carpet.

thats a fine rig the new dresge i wish you lots of luck with it.