Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin with Inclusion?

DSC01347.jpgDSC01354.jpgDSC01358.jpgDSC01357.jpgFound this one recently in GB near the landing strip. It has a strange circular inclusion thats about the size of a pencil eraser, and is light green in color. I havent seen an inclusion like this in the other ones ive found or seen. Im sure someone here can educate me as to the mineral/composition of this. By the way its not accretion material as its embedded in the meteorite. The weight on this one is 43.5 grams. Thanks for helping educate me hehe. Could it be

olivine? thanks Terry S

Hi Terry

From the small cliffs just north west of the landing strip I found 2 halfs that fit together. The pieces were a little over 100 grams each. Smack in the center was a light grayish greenish inclusion about the size of a nickle which I gave to Dr Kring. One of those pieces is pictured in his final paper and you should be able to look it up. It was sliced and tested by Dr Kring and he said it was an achondritic clast ?? The other 1/2 is in my collection. I'm no expert so I'm not sure what that means. We ran across several in cutting and a few others exposed. I also found an individual of around 50 grams that was not detectable( my detector wouldn't make a fart on it) with a pea sized orangish chondrule hanging out of it in the same area. Happy Huntin John B.

Thanks john B, from what i've seen on the web, it could be a achondritic clast of enstatite, not sure though. ..It's interesting that they came from the same general area.

Hi Terry's and All

That area was very productive and we used to camp near there :thumbsupanim . We were constantly raided by skunks at night strewing out garbage all over the desert :angry-smiley-010[1]: . After several mornings picking up our crap we moved on :*&$*(: . We had no idea Skunks could climb up Joshua trees :huh: ?? There used to be a couple of buildings ( wood Shacks) off the road going in , Wild Bills Snake Ranch and a privy accross the track :unsure: . I did most of my videoing in that area and the clips used on meteorite men they borrowed from me were from there. Jim and I hit several substantial nugget patches way out there as well :) . I made the mistake of showing one of the patches to Peiter and Debra Hydelaar and at the Next Gem show Pieter showed me quite a few muggets they got there while camping on the landing strip :whaaaa: . I thanked him for getting those pesky nuggets outa my way :shrug: !! Happy Huntin John B.