Nugget Shooter Forums

Francona 14Jan2011

Hello Vegasrocker

Franconia sounds like it would be a good time. I haven't done any meteorite hunting. but I would like to start. Do you have any pointers. Thanks joe

A few friends, my son Jason and I are planning a day trip on Monday 1/17 to Franconia. Anybody else going to be in Franconia on Monday?

Where are you going to be??

Jim

Where are you going to be??

Jim

After hunting the north side the past two trips, we're going to hunt the south side all day on Monday.

Hope to see you there.

Hello Vegasrocker

Franconia sounds like it would be a good time. I haven't done any meteorite hunting. but I would like to start. Do you have any pointers. Thanks joe

Hi Joe,

Here are a few tips for a new meteorite hunter:

• Study pictures of meteorites on the internet to familiarize yourself so you will be able to spot a meteorite visually.
  • Buy a few cheap NWA meteorites off Ebay to study.
  • Get yourself a good metal detector (Goldmaster 2, 3, GMT, or a Gold Bug 2) and learn how to use it properly.
  • Get out to a known strewnfield and put in some time.

It took me over 10 trips to Gold Basin before I found my first meteorite. But I learned quite a bit each time I went out. Meteorite hunting is hard work but a lot of fun! ;)

I am heading back out there today (Sunday the 16th) Wife has twisted my arm....she just has to find one! Isn't that something!!!

We'll be on the North end up high at first. Should be there Monday too!

How come when I get ready to go hunting I think of Canned Heat and their song Going Up The Country???rolleye0012[1].gif I'll be whistling that song all the way there. Awesome song, btw! Once I get there, it changes to Metallica!

Going up the country got to get away!

Jim

Jim lets see if we can get a trip up to Gold Basin for you, and I will see if I can get the guys from Vegas to head down that way!

I hope your wife finds her's today, but you could look on the bright side of things if she doesn't. You will never have any problems going out hunting, as she will be your hunting partner till she finds her's!

It's a great way for the two of you to get exercise, and great for the dog too!

Rick

Aloha Jim,

Looks like he may have run into a small iron patch from the looks of it. Getting my jeep serviced today and was planning on heading out to Franconia next week BUT may just head out for a day trip on monday. Will keep an eye out for your truck on the north road if you will be on the old mine road. Got one spot I need to take you and Wendy so she can get her fix of meteorites.

Aloha and be safe,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha Jim,

Looks like he may have run into a small iron patch from the looks of it. Getting my jeep serviced today and was planning on heading out to Franconia next week BUT may just head out for a day trip on monday. Will keep an eye out for your truck on the north road if you will be on the old mine road. Got one spot I need to take you and Wendy so she can get her fix of meteorites.

Aloha and be safe,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi all!

I am back from a quick successful trip to Franconia. Looks like I cleaned up some more hot rocks to make all your life's easier out there for tomorrow! Looking forward to the hunt!

In regards to the size of the Irons, look up on Google "Sacramento Wash Meteorite" and scroll down to read the bulletin.

I am "ass-u-ming" the many small irons they are speaking of in this bulletin are all the irons everyone is picking up.

Check this out...a new 42.6g Chrondrite... http://desertsunburn.no-ip.org/Franconia/Franconia16JAN2011.doc :thumbsupanim

Stan, looks like there will be a hand full of folks there on Monday. I am going back to the area I found the 42.6g Chondrite and heading NW. Wendy will not be with me tomorrow

Another good day!!

Jim