Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite Hunting Help

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am planning my first meteorite hunting trip. I came across the Meteorite Impact Database for Google Maps and the closest find is the Shingle Springs meteorite in Northern California. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. It is not a remote area and there is a fair amount of housing in the area with some large open space areas mixed in. There doesn't appear to be much information on the meteorite which occurred in 1869. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

-Larry

Hi Larry and All

All old finds as with all new finds were named to a nearby landmark, be it a half mile or 20 miles away. When the Natural History Museum in UK decided to publish The Catalog Of Meteorites it placed GPS coordinates to the name sake and not necessarily to the find site location. If you can look up historical info or access the files the classifying lab has it might give some specific details. My guess would be it was probably dug up by old gold prospectors as were a couple in Az. Odds are there are additional pieces of that find somewhere in the area. Good Luck. Happy Huntin John B.

Welcome to the forum, ETF. As one newbie to another, meteorite hunting is not like looking for gold or silver when you can research the geology. Meteorites just fall where they will and no rhyme or reason to it.

Google Earth is a good resource. You may also want to search the meteoritical bulletin, or met bul, at: http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php. You can search for all meteorites known to have been found in your county or state, search by name of meteorite, etc. The page relating to the specific meteorite will usually have the lat/lon coordinates of the find, as well as other info. Be aware many times the lat/lon info is iffy, or dodgy.

Hope that helps.