Nugget Shooter Forums

how long quick and long ?

Jim Gilmore

I'm wondering about your first nugget?

How long did it take you to find your first nugget ?

Did you find it your first trip hunting ? or did it take forever to find one.

Here is my story.

Around 1992 or so I got into detecting and looking for gold due to a member here.

I did not but a gold detector but did use a borrowed dry washer for a while and then built one.

I found 1 chip of gold that remains my largest piece to date.

I then purchased a Tesoro diablo umax. But never did find a nugget. I found nugget hunting to be very frustrating with a ratio of ever increasing junk and no nuggets. In 2009 I purchased a whites GMT and on the first weekend I was out I did finally recover 2 small chips. First pieces I found with a detector. I most likely had hunted at least 50-75 hours prior to find them with a detector.

But I was doing something totally different than I had done before. I was hunting in the same locstion I had found the big chip I found many years ago. So there is something to hunting in an area know for finding Nuggets.

So lets hear your story about your first nugget.

Took about a year and got my first in my own drywasher's header pile :tisk-tisk:

Bill, are you saying it must have rolled off out your riffle tray?

Took me over a year and with the help of an experienced detectorist I learned what an how to get em. Got 3 nugs for the first find 1 right after another.

I caught on fairly well. AND have been lovin it ever since.

Sometimes I think I swing my detector in my SLEEP :spinnin:

My first nugget was a 1 G and in a area Totally Not expecting a nugget.

Crevising and panning, I'm sure someone in Deming heard me yell from Pinos Altos New Mexico.

Header pile is at the head of the drywasher below the grizzly. A tailing pile is at the end of the riffle tray. Nuggets that are too big to go though the grizzly end up in the header pile.

I spent about 4 months detecting. My dad was an avid rock hound and always had a fascination for gold and found some fine placer gold in his day. He encouraged me to get a detector and do some nugget shooting. He was in poor health and during those months and I worked my ass off trying to find that first nugget. It never came before he passed. After the funeral, I made a trip out with Joeforthegold and goldmanmike and wouldn't you know I heard the warm sound of a target. I dug a small 2 grammer from the dirt. That's a very special nugget to me...

mick

No it was in the coarse pile and was to big to go through the grizzly screen of the drywasher. Weighed about 1 pennyweight and flat. Just rolled off with the bigger stuff and I have found many many nuggets over the years in drywasher header piles both from old timers and from recreational prospectors. EVERYONE that uses a drywasher and shovels onto the grizzly needs to check those discarded materials that do not pass through to the riffle tray!

:ROFL: Back in 56 behind our house on the Merced at Bagby(now blown up and burned) we were taught to break up that righteous crumbly black layed shale and the vapor deposition nuggets just fell out in mass. With 6 boys and a scale on the counter of the general store we were instant miners and reaped the benefits forevermore---John :eee:

Having beeped for 25+ years for coins and relics in Okla. then in 1993 or there-a-bout I drove to

Las Vegas and bought my first gold detector...a XT17000...two dealers there took me to White

Elephant Wash in AZ and said beep here and then they left...

I spent about and hour and a half beeping a small run off wash and found my first gold nugget

there...I think it was about a 4 gramer...

For the next six hours stayed totally lost in the desert hills trying to find my way out of the

place...finally got on top of a ridge and in the far distance saw a tractor-trailer rig on a

highway...put the Chevy in 4x4 and started cross country to the highway about three miles away...

turned out it was the highway headed North out of Dolan Springs,AZ...got in Kingman about dark

and got a good nights sleep in a motel before heading to Okla. the next morning...

Found my first nugget with a pan on the South Fork of the Yuba river in '72

Jim,

You have to be in the Gold Zone to have your best chance of finding a nugget(s). All goldfields, will have their own geo features to learn and to expand that goldfield zone. There's a ton of miles to hike and as many skunk days involved for that new virgin patch. To the Victor goes the Spoils. My first nuggets was from Lynx Creek, AZ dredging back in 1979. Until our next hunt!

LuckyLundy

My first piece that I would consider a nugget was found dredging a GPAA claim in 1994. I was told the water was worked to death down there but i tryed it anyway. My first trip down there I picked a spot and in the first 5 minutes I found a 1/4 ounce white quartzy piece of gold with my 2 inch dredge which I still wear around my neck today!

I was on the Mokelumne river,I was about 4 yrs old and my Grandfather took me out and showed me some bedrock and told me to dig out a crevice, While i was digging it out he told me of why you tested there for the flood gold and how that would help in finding a pay streak,He panned and showed me the moves and had me give it a try,It was fun and with his teaching i was doing pretty good after 6 pans.He had me dig out another spot,with a screwdriver. after seeing his gold in the pan I was pretty motivated to say the least,I got a few pickers i guess about 4 grains or so, and some nice flour,In all truth he may have salted it,But that day was the begining of my new life,I learned to shoot and fish after that, So it has had a good hold on me for quite some time, As i got older 8 or so he continued to teach me the arts of sniping and prospecting, On summers and when i lived with them for 5 yrs. We would go out every weekend{ when we werent cutting fire wood or family events} and go on long hikes to places off the beaten path, we did find some nice places and nice nuggets,He always said, if the world goes to hell you will always be able to feed yourself and survive with these skills.There was never a delusion of what kind of survival it would be, A hard and laboriose life with no extravagances.Yes there would be good days, But you needed to save and be diligent for the lean times,I still have all the gold, I had to sell my gold. but held on to that stuff,Its all that is left from that time in my life,

My first gold was found in the 60s on slate creek where it flows into the north fork of the yuba with gold pans And I was hooked. My first gold with a metal detector was recent after a yard sale purchase of a SD 2100 for $40 bucks.I brought it home and charged the batteries and tried it out down the hill from my home and found a little nugget 4 plus grams.

My first nugget was about mid ‘70’s sluicing on the Callapooia River near Sweet Home, Oregon (I know, nice name).

We, (brothers) seldom made enough to cover gas and beer expenses but we had fun, until Weyerhaeuser closed the area to overnite camping.

Next adventure was our home-made dry washer. No plans, no previous knowledge of how to build one.

We took it to Hinkley, Ca. and got very little from the riffles after 4 days work.

Found out later that most the gold was in the bellows. Oops, time for a new plan.

All told, us four brothers didn’t find much gold to brag about but I wouldn’t trade those experiences for Fort Knox.

I took up detecting after learning to pan back in '99. I can't remember how long it took to find the first nug, maybe a couple months of trying. I was using a White's GM4, which was a noisy p.i.t.a., but I stuck with it. One day, I was out detecting when I came upon an older man detecting. He told me he had found some nice nuggets in this particular area. I think I recall the largest he said he found was a 1/2 ouncer. He was finished hunting and didn't care if I gave it a go. I was excited at my chances and I went to hunting this area very diligently. At nearly dark and after lots of false hot rock signals, I got a signal and dug up a little 9 grain nugget. I couldn't believe it! After all the trash and hot rocks I had detected... finally a nug. I remember popping it in my mouth to clean it and recall how it rattled against my teeth and felt so heavy. It was truly a magical experience. I owe that first one to a helpful man who called himself Preacher Jim. And yes, after the first one, others seem to come much easier.

Archived