Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Terry Scott

Strewn field size Gold Basin

Hello to all, first time posting here. I recently found a typical looking Gold Basin meteorite 7.5 miles away from the "established" strewn field. I've read varying accounts of the strewn field size, and was wondering if any members here have found some that far away. I also wanted to say how much I've learned from and enjoyed the topics/threads in this forum, great job!

Good Hunting, Terry S.

As that meteor began to break up it could have cast pieces that far from the know strewn field. However, you could have a piece of a different fall. That would be pretty cool.

mick

Hi Terry

I have found meteorites apx 1/2 mile north of the Peirce Ferry hwy to within apx 1/4 mile of Lake Mead near burrow springs. The hunting on the rec area was with permits and all finds surrendered to the U of A . Most of the finds near Peirce ferry hwy were small relativly complete stone. On width apx 1 mile west of the Gpaa camp site ( the old searles diggins) and several pieces off the lower flanks of the red garnite mountains it was too rugged to seriously hunt. The King Tut was found just below the old foundation below the King Tut mine in the next valley to the east. It aged different to the gold basin but there are several strewnfields overlaping and preserved by the unique soils in the region. Happy Huntin John B.

Hi Terry, I found a Gold Basin a couple of years ago small, about 5 grams, at 4.23 miles east of the well hunted center area of the strewn field, near the King Tut mine. Often though it might be a King Tut, but there is not much of it to fuss over. I was out a Gold Basin on the first look'n for a biggy 200 grammer like Frank and Marvin found, but nada. Got 5 hours in, it was 25 F the night before, snow on the ground, sort of funny for a place that your use to at 107 or more. Sun went down, I couldn't even swing for an extra 30 minutes, almost broke in to a run to the car to turn the heater on my freezing paw paws. Terry Good Luck Hunting! Think we might get a close up pic of the GB meteorite you found? Clifton

Hello Terry! You must remember that the Gold Basin Meteorite exploded and spread itself over a 130-150 square kilometer area. The fall rates in Arizona are large, and several known (and for sure unknown) strewnfields intersect from Franconia to Las Vegas. If you love Space Rocks, you gotta love Arizona! :thumbsupanim Terry

John B hunted that strewn field for many moons from one end to the other mapping it before it ever became public knowledge and is one of the original finders of the Gold Basin Meteorite for those new to Nugget Shooter that do not know this yet.

He was letting all us poor nugget shooters keep throwing those nasty hot rocks in bushes, edges of filled holes, and some we just threw on the surface for him and his comrads to pick up :stupidrb:

Knew nothing of meteorite detecting until meeting JB here at the forum and we did an first Nugget Shooter outing many years ago at Greaterville where John did a talk about meteorites and the GB strewn field. It forever changed how I hunted as well as showed me what a dumb ass I was for not taking the time to properly ID that dang Gold Basin hot rock...

I now preach and bring home ALL rocks I can not ID in the field and figure out what they are before tossing into the rock garden :inocent:

I now have a find "Trilby Wash" of my own thanks to his guidence as well as meteorites from other AZ strewnfields...

Good hunting and ID those hot rocks.... :rasberry:

Thanks for the info, I'll be expanding my search area for sure, and hopefully adding to my collection of space rocks!!!! It was grest to hear from such experienced hunters.

Terry S.

Pardon a simple question, actually several, from a simple newbie.

Is the Gold Basin a strewn field of one meteorite fall, or is it simply an area that encompasses multiple falls/strewn fields? Could Terry Scott have found a new meteorite, or strewn field? How do we know it's from the same meteorite as the others in the Gold Basin? Is there some test that can be done?

And Welcome to the forum, Terry. Hope you enjoy it here. Sounds like though you're a newbie to this forum you are not a newbie, as am I, to meteorite prospecting.