Nugget Shooter Forums

May Have Actually Found Something

Back in October, I had a chance to do some exploring between Weaver and the LSD . One morning I’m walking up a steep wash when I came around a corner and saw this vein of quartz running along, and exposed for about 20-feet. Since I was just out exploring I had no equipment other than survival stuff, water and a gun. So, I took some reference photos, plotted the find with GPS, scooped some of the decomposed granite and quartz into a plastic sandwich bag, threw it in my backpack and kept on hiking.

Unfortunately I got busy with clients and business that afternoon, and completely forgot to sample the bag-o-dirt I humped out of the desert. Well, I got around to unpacking the rest of my gear here in New York yesterday in preparation to head back out to Congress, and this bag-o-dirt falls out of my daypack. Oh yeah, now I remember! So I panned it out in the bathtub and lo and behold..

post-22152-0-48505900-1294676543_thumb.j

A couple of grams!

post-22152-0-62985700-1294676582_thumb.j

The vein and the ledge I took the bag-o-dirt off.

Whaddya think? - Terry

Whaddya think? - Terry

I THINK BECAUSE YOU'RE SO FAR AWAY YOU SHOULD SEND THE CO-ORD'S TO ME FOR IMMEDIATE THOROUGH EVALUATION.

And of course don't forget to include a self addressed stamped envelope for return copie of tests.

Matt and Steve: I just scooped dirt off the ledge by the outcropping, and took a couple of small pieces of quartz with no visible gold in it. The gold came from a sandwich bag full of the dirt off the ledge! To me, that is a lot of flake for a couple of handfuls of dirt. Of course, it could have just been deposited there in a flood, or washed down on the ledge, but hey that means a source somewhere around there - I hope :stupidrb: Oh, and Frank, I love you man but, not that much :rolleyes: - Terry

I think you panned out some of Felix`s Paydirt that you got for X-mas, and dreamed the rest of the story :yuk-yuk:

That crevace was probably the on floor of an ancient channel before it was tilted or uplifted over time to its current position. Probably a patch there ...

LOL Adam! With all the money I have been spending on vehicles, claims, equipment and Ruger .44-magnums, :inocent: I can't afford Felix's Paydirt! :hahaha: The old lady says after the helicopter, I may never see a Christmas present again! I'll tell you though, I know I'm getting close. I've been chasing this area for a year, and I might just have it by the tail. - Terry

I'll tell you though, I know I'm getting close. I've been chasing this area for a year, and I might just have it by the tail. - Terry

Just when you think you have things figured out...Well, you know. I can't wait to see what the spot gives up to you.

2 grams out of a sandwich bag full of dirt? :yikes:

Seriously, that's like <<<<<128 ounces>>>>> per ton.

And you didn't see any when you loaded it into the baggie?

That is what I'm saying, and no, I didn't see anything in the dirt. I used my knife to break up the hard dirt on the shelf (you can see the small area I worked under the red arrow), and scraped it into the ziplock. The amount covered the bottom of a large gold pan to a depth of about a 1/2" - 3/4"? Not as much black sand as I would have thought, and 1.7 grams of flake. Now, the quartz I took has no visible gold, but it is not starved. I'll be back out there in February. I have six new areas I have researched and snooped, but this one has been a bugger over the last two seasons. - Terry

well, ill tell ya what!!! you can fly on over here and pick me up.i need a job anyways,much rather work in the gold industry than painting homes.lol.thats some nice gold.anyways gd luck on your adventure,looks like research and all has paid off.id be back their asap.might be a glory hole there.

john

That's gotta be one of the most bizarre finds I've ever seen...That much coarse gold with out something????????????????????? Good luck in your future adventures....Cheers, Unc

iv been trayin to earn a job for months now... if u can get me to yous guys.. ill wrk my ass off all day for months and months without a pay..untill were done of course... but its just im a hard worker and even if i wrk with u and get nuthin at first.. but in the end my hardwork that i would help all of you acomplish will be rememberd ... im hard worker, like to get things done, get along with others, ... ive been tryin to find a job for almost a year,, and now i im getting sick of waiting when there needes to be work done were your at.. you could email zacceri101@yahoo.com or call me and let me know when i can start..and how i can get there... i liv in dubuque. Iowa my phone:## (563)495-6405... names zacc montgomery

That is most definitely placer gold in your vial and likely not from or even related to the quartz vein you show, but must have been deposited there somehow...

Interesting find and I would have a look at more of the dirt in the area for more placer gold.

You said it was hard pack on the rock,I ran into something like that is the 80,s On Jesus Maria creek in Calaveras county.It was a little bit of hard pack on top of limestone bedrock sticking 6 feet above the rest,It was just a little bowl in the rock, But i could see the gold in it .I guess it was the bottom at some point, The clays in the limestone are notorious for holding gold. It was surrounded by stacked rock. Like 1 acre, I would bet that gold is working down from a old bench or crevice from above.Good for you ,That is a heck of a late find,

Jeeze Terry, You really got my attention this morning. I was so caught up in this that my wife was talking and I did not hear a word. she is now Pissed at me for the day but I'm staying tuned for more of this exciting find. Living a dream through your experience. Hope that it pans out to be a truck load of gold.

Bill C

That gold looks like it's all the same size. That's even more amazing.

It's not actually DS, all the itty-bitty flour stuff is underneath with some black sand I was too lazy to clean out :rolleyes: I thought the big chunky flakes would look better! - Terry

• 2 months later...

Back in October, I had a chance to do some exploring between Weaver and the LSD . One morning I'm walking up a steep wash when I came around a corner and saw this vein of quartz running along, and exposed for about 20-feet. Since I was just out exploring I had no equipment other than survival stuff, water and a gun. So, I took some reference photos, plotted the find with GPS, scooped some of the decomposed granite and quartz into a plastic sandwich bag, threw it in my backpack and kept on hiking.

Unfortunately I got busy with clients and business that afternoon, and completely forgot to sample the bag-o-dirt I humped out of the desert. Well, I got around to unpacking the rest of my gear here in New York yesterday in preparation to head back out to Congress, and this bag-o-dirt falls out of my daypack. Oh yeah, now I remember! So I panned it out in the bathtub and lo and behold..

post-22152-0-48505900-1294676543_thumb.j

A couple of grams!

post-22152-0-62985700-1294676582_thumb.j

The vein and the ledge I took the bag-o-dirt off.

Whaddya think? - Terry

Hey Terry, I hope you don't get stuck in New York forever. I wouldn't mind helping to carry bags-o-dirt out. Maybe I'll just attach GPS locators on your chopper, backpack, and burro :ph34r2:

Bill C

Hey Terry, I hope you don't get stuck in New York forever. I wouldn't mind helping to carry bags-o-dirt out. Maybe I'll just attach GPS locators on your chopper, backpack, and burro :ph34r2:

Bill C

Looks like it may be September at this point. :angry-smiley-010[1]: The heli is almost finished though! You know what they say: Life sucks, then you die. :thumbsupanim Terry

Looks like it may be September at this point. :angry-smiley-010[1]: The heli is almost finished though! You know what they say: Life sucks, then you die. :thumbsupanim Terry

Hey terry you got that right....

Only thing at the end is ....rest... but who would now ?

Terry - What color is the helicopter? I'm in the Rich Hill area a lot and see those ranchers flying around in theirs. GOLD would be a good color?!?1confused0085[1].gif Looking forward to seeing it. Dave

• 3 years later...

What was the outcome of this adventure????? Cheers, Unc