Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Micro Nugget

Hermit Pick Idea

Of all the pick designs, the Hermit Pick, in my opinion, is the all around best choice. This is so because it is the lightest in weight, the most versatile at moving the widest range of materials and can be operated using only one hand. However, there is an inherent problem with any straight handled pick -- albeit mostly an immediate problem only for those of us whose wrist and hand joints already are nearly worn out or afflicted with arthritis. The Hermit Pick is no exception. Specifically, it is ergonomically stressful to transfer pulling power from our arm to a straight handled pick because in order to do so the wrist and finger bones are out of alignment with the plane of pull. This problem also is encountered with straight handled scoops when digging beach targets in heavy, wet sand. One solution to the beach scoop design is to put a 90 degree bend near the upper end of the shaft handle, thus permitting the handle itself, instead of the wrist and fingers, to bear the primary pulling stress. An identical design application will not work for a Hermit Pick, since in the desert we are not dealing with soft, heavy loads of water saturated sand being pulled out of a dig hole. HOWEVER, a comparable application of the PRINCIPLE might consist of a plastic or carbon fiber handle built into the Hermit Pick shaft near the business end of the pick in the manner of some police batons. That would enable a user to grasp the pulling handle with a single hand when pulling or scraping loosened material from the dig hole while minimizing stress to the wrist and finger bones [which, in turn, aggravate the knuckle and wrist joints]. Possibly a fold-down handle attachment would be an alternative to a fixed grasping handle. Just a thought for you mechanically gifted guys to consider. There is a growing market for ergonomically friendly tools as the age of many prospectors makes them aware of the prices we pay for continued play time in the Big Sandbox.

Good idea Martin, also with the longer handled model it is easier to handle in all respects.

I have an idea to try using your suggestions.

Of all the pick designs, the Hermit Pick, in my opinion, is the all around best choice. This is so because it is the lightest in weight, the most versatile at moving the widest range of materials and can be operated using only one hand. However, there is an inherent problem with any straight handled pick -- albeit mostly an immediate problem only for those of us whose wrist and hand joints already are nearly worn out or afflicted with arthritis. The Hermit Pick is no exception. Specifically, it is ergonomically stressful to transfer pulling power from our arm to a straight handled pick because in order to do so the wrist and finger bones are out of alignment with the plane of pull. This problem also is encountered with straight handled scoops when digging beach targets in heavy, wet sand. One solution to the beach scoop design is to put a 90 degree bend near the upper end of the shaft handle, thus permitting the handle itself, instead of the wrist and fingers, to bear the primary pulling stress. An identical design application will not work for a Hermit Pick, since in the desert we are not dealing with soft, heavy loads of water saturated sand being pulled out of a dig hole. HOWEVER, a comparable application of the PRINCIPLE might consist of a plastic or carbon fiber handle built into the Hermit Pick shaft near the business end of the pick in the manner of some police batons. That would enable a user to grasp the pulling handle with a single hand when pulling or scraping loosened material from the dig hole while minimizing stress to the wrist and finger bones [which, in turn, aggravate the knuckle and wrist joints]. Possibly a fold-down handle attachment would be an alternative to a fixed grasping handle. Just a thought for you mechanically gifted guys to consider. There is a growing market for ergonomically friendly tools as the age of many prospectors makes them aware of the prices we pay for continued play time in the Big Sandbox.

Perhaps a chisel holder would give you the relief you are looking for :shrug: . You should be able to find one at most any hardware store.

Jimbeax

AKA no dig em ed

Martin,

I am allways looking for ways to improve the Hermit Pick and keep the price affordable. I would have to see your idea to really understand what you are talking about. Any chance you could send me a drawing? I am trying to find a source for some hickory handles, but that will also add cost to the final product.

Bunk

BUNK: When I see you at the Gold basin soiree I will discuss some ideas with you.