Nugget Shooter Forums

My new green turd pick

Guest goldstudmuffin

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Bill and All,

I thought I'd try making my own pick, one of my boys is a good welder... it has a nice 31" fiberglass handle. This will bust through the caliche at the green turd patch with no problem. Now if I can just get someone to carry it for me! :cigar:

post-86-0-63628900-1294414817_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-26603400-1294414873_thumb.jpg

post-86-0-54609100-1294414917_thumb.jpg

Nice pick! Here's a related question I've often wondered about but never asked before, and that's how deep does caliche go? Is there like a layer of it you could dig through to find more gold bearing ground? I've dug down into some caliche patches before but ran out of steam before too long and never got deeper than 8-inches or so.

Or do you have to dig to China to get through?

Paul

Hi Russ and All

Russ, Scotty can carry it for 50% :huh: !! I'll want 75% :) !! With those little tiny shallow holes you normally dig are you gonna use the handle for a flag pole or center pole for a tent :shrug: ?? Russ do you know how big around the hole has to be to swing it in the hole :hmmmmm: ?? I think a jack hammer with Scotty on the end of it would make more sense but your share would be pitiful :whaaaa: !! Happy Huntin John B.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Nice pick! Here's a related question I've often wondered about but never asked before, and that's how deep does caliche go? Is there like a layer of it you could dig through to find more gold bearing ground? I've dug down into some caliche patches before but ran out of steam before too long and never got deeper than 8-inches or so.

Or do you have to dig to China to get through?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I see one of your interests are digging deep holes! :yuk-yuk: I've only dug a handful of targets in caliche, all the targets turned out to be gold except one that was 33" deep green turd. I have dug some layers of caliche or false bedrock that after a few inches turned back into dirt, they were gold too.

Hi John,

75% that's a deal, because I didn't tell you how much it weights! :unsure:

I need to mount some wheels on it and pull it behind! :yuk-yuk:

There are some nice claims around Randsburg that have lots of caliche, and I've dug nuggets out of some of them but always wondered what would happen if I dug under them.

Does anybody have a good link to a site where I can research what is caliche, how does it form, how does it get there, and what's underneath it?

Even some good stories would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ant Man

There are some nice claims around Randsburg that have lots of caliche, and I've dug nuggets out of some of them but always wondered what would happen if I dug under them.

Does anybody have a good link to a site where I can research what is caliche, how does it form, how does it get there, and what's underneath it?

Even some good stories would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ant Man

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Caliche is a sedimentary rock, a hardened deposit of calcium carbonate. This calcium carbonate cements together other materials, including gravel, sand, clay, and silt. It is found in aridisol and mollisol soil orders. Caliche occurs worldwide, generally in arid or semiarid regions, including in central and western Australia, in the Kalahari Desert, in the High Plains of the western USA, and in the Sonoran Desert. Caliche is also known as hardpan, calcrete, kankar (in India), or duricrust. The term caliche is Spanish and is originally from the Latin calx, meaning lime.

Caliche is generally light colored but can range from white to light pink to reddish-brown, depending on the impurities present. It is generally found on or near the surface, but it can be found in deeper subsoil deposits as well. The layers can vary from a few inches to feet thick, and multiple layers can exist in a single location.

In northern Chile and Peru, caliche also refers to mineral deposits that include nitrate salts.[1] Caliche can also refer to various claylike deposits in Mexico and Colombia. In addition, it has been used to describe some forms of quartzite, bauxite, kaolinite, laterite, chalcedony, opal, and soda niter.

A similar material, composed of calcium sulfate rather than calcium carbonate, is called gypcrust.

Yo All...Around Wickenburg the caliche is extremely deep...My house sits on a caliche deposit that is some 25 feet thick although it is in layers ranging from 6+ feet down to an inch or so with a very small layer of sand...Out at LSD one prevalent rumor is that there is a gold bearing layer down 16 feet from the top, although since there is no uniform weathering of the caliche I'm not sure that old rumor is accurate...I have found gold down a foot or so into the solid caliche and I recall that Bill has found some nice gold so deep he had to soak it with chlorox overnight to disolve the caliche ... There's one patch at LSD that's called the "Caliche Patch" that I've pulled hundreds of small nuggets from, ranging from 2 dwt down to wannabe fly turds by raking and raking and raking the surface...Some folks call it Uncle Ron's Parking Lot Patch :inocent: ... :yuk-yuk: ... Cheers, Unc

So my suspicions are true. Gold can be found down under the caliche, and all through it. I always thought so.

Anyway, green turd picks are a good thing to have around!

Paul

Hi Russ and All

Russ, Scotty can carry it for 50% :huh: !! I'll want 75% :) !! With those little tiny shallow holes you normally dig are you gonna use the handle for a flag pole or center pole for a tent :shrug: ?? Russ do you know how big around the hole has to be to swing it in the hole :hmmmmm: ?? I think a jack hammer with Scotty on the end of it would make more sense but your share would be pitiful :whaaaa: !! Happy Huntin John B.

:hahaha: