Nugget Shooter Forums

Strangest Place You Have Found a Nugget

There have got to be more odd stories out there similar to mine...

The oddest spot I have found a nugget was in Quartzsite, AZ while having a snack and drink sitting on a large rock just above a wash. I was sitting there because the rock was shaped nicely for sitting on...

When I went to set my water bottle down next to me there it was just sitting there, a nugget weighing just at 3 pennyweight. Only nugget I found that day :yuk-yuk:

There was no other material like gravel or sand just a lone nugget shining in the sun...

On Slate Creek above shasta lake I put the toilet about 100' up a draw and was doing my duty jus' a sittn' there and lo and behold lying in plain sight in between wild grape vine roots was a RIGHTEOUS 2.67 dwt panther faced nugget. Was exactly like a snarling panther with open mouth,fangs and a hole in it for the eyes--sold to my brother for a xmas present to his now x- wife,was current then, and she hocked it the byatch---John

Over 30 years ago,snorkling/sniping with full wetsuit and facemask on San Domingo creek,Calaveras county,Ca....was finding zilch,not even any bedrock..kept walking upstream and saw a small area of bedock running the wrong way..put my face down and in 6 inches of water was a beautiful brain shaped quartz specie weighing over a quarter ounce.The next rain would have washed it away as it was loosely wedged in a wrongway crevice.

Guest goldstudmuffin

Hi Bill,

I picked up a 1.5 dwter off the bedrock about 3' above the wash bottom... same area as yours. Well it was south in the Kofa, of course I was not metal detecting, I don't think it's allowed there. :grr01:

When I was dredging years ago on the Merced River,

I was using a mound of bedrock to step into the river each morning

as I waded out to where the dredge was tied off.

When it was time to leave after about three weeks, I kept the dredge running

as I brought it over to the bank to take it out and pack it up.

Almost as an afterthought I dredged the top of my little step-in mound

and to my shock, sitting on the very top was a 5 dwt nugget

on some little fingers of rock. It looked like an oversized ring setting.

It was the largest piece of gold I found dredging that summer.

Flak

:thumbsupanim Ya gotta just luv that righteous crumbly black merced river shale. Our house at Bagby(our back steps are the only indication of a town existed there) had a path down to the river and each spring I'd scrape away and pan and bonanza every year till one a my 5 brothers saw me and then adios!! :inocent: John

Well the nugget I found was right where it was suppose to be but very unexpected :tisk-tisk: years ago a buddy and I were dredging the hassiampa river--on the way in I noticed a good looking place to metal detect and I pointed it out to my friend which his reply was nahhhh so we dredged most of the weekend with very little gold to show for our efforts so he decided to take a nap before we took off and I said well I'm going to check out that area we seen on the way in--so I get to the spot turn on my Vlf detector--compass AU52---start to ground ballance it over bedrock and it would balance I move the coil over and could'nt beleive my eyes there was a 1 dwt nugget right in a shallow crack of bedrock winking at me-I reached down and picked it up and proceeded to hunt for a while longer without anymore gold so I head down to where we were camped and my buddy says well did you find anything when I said yes you should have seen how much energy he had then-he was up and grabbed his beeper and up the hill--well there was nothing else found but that odd ball one I found :whaaaa: Mike C...:ph34r2:

My wife and I at a gathering of about 30 friends in North Carolina on private property which is known for the decent amount of fine gold and a few very small pickers to be found in the creek and hillside washes on the property were highbanking a pile of material that had been taken out of a wash with a backhoe that ran down from an old hardrock mine from the turn of the century, the material was dug from where the quartz vein that continue down from the adit ran across the wash, the wash was dammed up and had water pumped up from the creek below to create a small pond so that the material that was in the wash could be dredged with small dredges, the pile of dug material was for highbankers, I was digging material from the top of the 8ft high pile and bringing it down to my wife at the "pond's" edge to run through the highbanker, I had already filled and taken 2 buckets of material down to my wife and was filling the 3rd, I look down the almost vertical backside of the pile and about 2 1/2 ft. down the slope I saw a small yellow rock and thought to myself "nope no way that a nugget :unsure: ", but of course I had to go and take a look, half sliding and holding on to the shovel that I planted firmly into the pile material I got my hand on the yellow rock, and sure enough it was a 1 1/2 dwt. nugget :WOW:, it was the talk of the rest of the outing as very few nuggets had ever been found on this property and this was the biggest of the few that have been found there, which is why this nugget fits in with this topic, but I think it fit in my poke better than anywhere else!!! :D :D

Skip

How about the craziest place we ever found a motorcycle. While detecting in Quartzsite about 20 years ago a friend of mine went north over the hill. When he came back he said that he needed a shovel, that he metal detected a motorcycle. So we all went over to where he had uncovered the handle bars of a newer motorcycle. When we dug it out, it was a newer street bike with very few miles, full of gas and ready to start. Not knowing what to do with it, he drove it back to camp. Then we loaded it up and drove into Quartzsite to the Sheriffs office. Imagine 4 dirty prospectors pulling into the sheriffs office claiming they had just metal detected a newer stolen motorcycle. We were told if it wasn't claimed that we would get the bike. Never heard from them, go figure. And it is a true story. Hence dig all your targets, you never know what you might find.

Sarge ... You beat me to beating up on Bill ... Three day's into nugget hunting career and my meeting Bill S and Chris Gholson with my brand new GP3K I found my first nugget 2.3 Grams right in Billie's Back Yard not far off the parking lot turnout just before the turn into LSD wash!

If I remember Bill's comments something like this "WHAT? ... Right in my back yard?" or words to that effect! That was back in late January or Early February 2004 I believe.

Mike F.

Sarge ... You beat me to beating up on Bill ... Three day's into nugget hunting career and my meeting Bill S and Chris Gholson with my brand new GP3K I found my first nugget 2.3 Grams right in Billie's Back Yard not far off the parking lot turnout just before the turn into LSD wash!

If I remember Bill's comments something like this "WHAT? ... Right in my back yard?" or words to that effect! That was back in late January or Early February 2004 I believe.

Mike F.

Yup I remember that... Still haven't told me where that was exactly :inocent:

Mike, Bill is a nugget magnet. Last weekend I was out at LSD not far from Bill who was out detrecting. There was no wind but I felt small chunks hitting me flying in the air. It was gold nuggets flying over to him. So it stands to reason there is a patch in his back yard.

Mike, Bill is a nugget magnet. Last weekend I was out at LSD not far from Bill who was out detrecting. There was no wind but I felt small chunks hitting me flying in the air. It was gold nuggets flying over to him. So it stands to reason there is a patch in his back yard.

Hmmmmmmmm, need to teach them to land in a jar... Was skunked last weekend :tisk-tisk: