Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
goldstrike

metal detector good or bad

Hi all,

My name is Joe and I am looking for any infomation on gold detectors and how and where to start.I'm actually new to the las vegas area and I want to buy a detector for gold and a seperate one for on the beach. There are just so many I'm having a tough time of where to start. Money is a issue but i am patient and can save for a better detector if thats the way to go. Any advise would be appreciated. I,m also looking for someone in the area to go detecting with. Thank You joe

Personally i'm a huge fan of Whites MXT its a decent 3 in 1 detector. Particularly for the new operator. You can find small gold and large junk with no problem. Learning curve is smooth. If you get good enough to find gold regularly (which seems to be more about your knowledge of prospecting than your beeper). Then you may consider buying an uber high end machine. You can then ebay your mxt for close to what you paid for it, use it in ground conditions that work better for the MXT than a pi machine, lend it to a friend when you are turning someone on to the hobby, or heaven forbid, let the wife use it instead of staying home :yuk-yuk: -sport

Welcome Joe, there should be quite a few nuggethunters in the Vegas area with you I'm sure some will post here.

And I think you're on the right track with the 2 separate detectors line of thinking.

A gold specific detector for nuggetshooting and another for general beeping.

Depending on your budget finding a good used machine to start may be the key.

Follow the forums, TOO much info here which translates into "keep reading" you will definitely become educated.

Try sending Bill Southern an e-mail about your detector situation he can provide you with the ultimate guidance and may know of a deal somewhere to be had.

Hapy Huntn.

Hi all,

My name is Joe and I am looking for any infomation on gold detectors and how and where to start.I'm actually new to the las vegas area and I want to buy a detector for gold and a seperate one for on the beach. There are just so many I'm having a tough time of where to start. Money is a issue but i am patient and can save for a better detector if thats the way to go. Any advise would be appreciated. I,m also looking for someone in the area to go detecting with. Thank You joe

Thanks guys for the well needed info. Sport I just moved here from Temecula do you have any luck out there? The reason I want to seperate detectors is because I go out that way at least twice a month. It used to be for surfing and visiting but it may turn into prospecting instead.Frank C thanks for the info too. much appreciated. I did find a used mxt for 550 just don't know if I can get to it in time. Thanks again.

Hey Joe, i was in your same position about a year and a half ago. I started with the whites gmt which is a great detector, and read these and other forums daily. Use the search engine on here to locate keywords from past posts in relation to your area. copy and paste all pertinant info to a journal. you will always find yourself going back through your notes. from vegas you have multiple options for nugget shooting which include Gold basin, meadview, johnnie etc.. but as you dig deeper youll come across little tidbits here and there that may have you investigating less known areas. My advice for a detector is to decide if you are really gonna pursue this seriously and if so, go straight for a pi detector. if you research a lot, youll see that although people find gold with all detectors, a good percentage of those finds are coming from 10 inches down or deeper which youll probably pass right over with a vlf. Some good relatively inexpensive pi detectors consist of lower end minelabs (used gp extremes, gpx 300 etc.) or a whites tdi. Once you get a detector, understand that its very possible to go out many times with no luck. shitty i know, but its reality. it may cause you to get impatient and move faster covering more ground, reducing your chance of finding gold even greater, its natural. Its important to know that 90% of gold is gonna be very faint, and can easily be dismissed as just another hotrock, because your looking for that loud zip zip signal. The sooner you learn how important low and slow is, the quicker youll be coming home with success. another key factor is, everyone and there mom has hit these common areas, which do still yeild gold, but are pretty dang pounded with high end detectors. get off the beaten path, get under bushes, move rocks etc.

As for books, ive bought many, and many where the same old vague nonsense, not all but most..and outdated at that. Jump right to the meat and potatoes of it. get chris ralphs "fists full of gold" its very up to date, and very educational on modern day prospecting including the very very very important sections on geology.

I live in vegas aswell, pm me anytime. maybe we can hook up.

good luck,

Landon

Hey Landon

Thanks alot for all the info it was exactly what I was looking for. I'm hoping to get quite serious about this. I have aready started some files on equipment and locations. But with this hobby I really want to have the right info before I invest. I'm normally the guy who goes out and buys everything and find out I didn't need most of what I bought. Because of money and the times I will be much more careful this time. I also just want to enjoy myself and meet new people that have the same interest.

What I think is most important right now is to buy the best detector i can afford and like you said find some spots off the beaten path. I am alittle worried about going and finding myself were I'm not supposed to be.Thanks on the info about the book I'll look into that today.

Thanks again and if you ever need a copilot I would definitly be up for the experience. Joe

Hi Goldstrike,

I have been prospecting for a few years and own a Tesoro lobo. I have found gold with it, but It drives me crazy with all the groundnoise. For the last couple of years I have only used it to check my drywash tailings. Two weeks ago I purchased a used Minelab PI and I am in love. Nugget shooting is now my favorite form of prospecting. I only have about 50 hours on my machine but I now have confidence. I have no large nuggets yet but I do have a few dinkers to show for my efforts. I also recommend you go for a PI detector, you wont be sorry.

Good luck, AJ

Hi Goldstrike,

I have been prospecting for a few years and own a Tesoro lobo. I have found gold with it, but It drives me crazy with all the groundnoise. For the last couple of years I have only used it to check my drywash tailings. Two weeks ago I purchased a used Minelab PI and I am in love. Nugget shooting is now my favorite form of prospecting. I only have about 50 hours on my machine but I now have confidence. I have no large nuggets yet but I do have a few dinkers to show for my efforts. I also recommend you go for a PI detector, you wont be sorry.

Good luck, AJ

As a Minelab dealer this sums up the reaction of almost 100% of my customers switching from a VLF gold detector to a Minelab PI and why I recommend looking for a used PI (pulse induction) detector over a VLF (very low frequency) gold detector to start out in this hobby if you can make it happen new or used. They will all find gold, but the PI is better suited to the hot soils of the average gold field.

My first detector was a VLF. My second was a Minelab GPX4500 that I picked up from Bill.

I found gold with the Minelab. Maybe it was me but I did not find gold with the VLF. Maybe it was the ground conditions. I don't know. I used the VLF it hot rocks and mineralized soil conditions -- I went back with The Minelab and found gold.

From my own experience you will eventually get a Minelab. 'nuff said...

Hey Joe, i was in your same position about a year and a half ago. I started with the whites gmt which is a great detector, and read these and other forums daily. Use the search engine on here to locate keywords from past posts in relation to your area. copy and paste all pertinant info to a journal. you will always find yourself going back through your notes. from vegas you have multiple options for nugget shooting which include Gold basin, meadview, johnnie etc.. but as you dig deeper youll come across little tidbits here and there that may have you investigating less known areas. My advice for a detector is to decide if you are really gonna pursue this seriously and if so, go straight for a pi detector. if you research a lot, youll see that although people find gold with all detectors, a good percentage of those finds are coming from 10 inches down or deeper which youll probably pass right over with a vlf. Some good relatively inexpensive pi detectors consist of lower end minelabs (used gp extremes, gpx 300 etc.) or a whites tdi. Once you get a detector, understand that its very possible to go out many times with no luck. shitty i know, but its reality. it may cause you to get impatient and move faster covering more ground, reducing your chance of finding gold even greater, its natural. Its important to know that 90% of gold is gonna be very faint, and can easily be dismissed as just another hotrock, because your looking for that loud zip zip signal. The sooner you learn how important low and slow is, the quicker youll be coming home with success. another key factor is, everyone and there mom has hit these common areas, which do still yeild gold, but are pretty dang pounded with high end detectors. get off the beaten path, get under bushes, move rocks etc.

As for books, ive bought many, and many where the same old vague nonsense, not all but most..and outdated at that. Jump right to the meat and potatoes of it. get chris ralphs "fists full of gold" its very up to date, and very educational on modern day prospecting including the very very very important sections on geology.

I live in vegas aswell, pm me anytime. maybe we can hook up.

good luck,

Landon

im not sure if i can delete my post so id like to clarify.. regarding my statement "many where the same old vague nonsense" i take back. It didnt sit well with me after rethinking my statement.. although some did not appeal to me, they may to you.. Writing a book to share ones personal knowledge i have a huge respect for and just kinda felt bad sounding like im "dissing" them.

..and Bill, sorry i slipped with a bad word, got carried away.

this cracks me up even writing this but i feel a whole lot better..

im not sure if i can delete my post so id like to clarify.. regarding my statement "many where the same old vague nonsense" i take back. It didnt sit well with me after rethinking my statement.. although some did not appeal to me, they may to you.. Writing a book to share ones personal knowledge i have a huge respect for and just kinda felt bad sounding like im "dissing" them.

..and Bill, sorry i slipped with a bad word, got carried away.

this cracks me up even writing this but i feel a whole lot better..

No Worries.... :cigar: