Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia Trip 01-08-2011

Heading to Franconia this coming Saturday, the 8th. Will be East on the North side. My usual parking spot. Can't miss me. Should be there sometime around 8 to 9.

FRS Channel 11, tone 0.

Weather should be somewhat overcast and cool.

Anyone going, let me know!

Jim

Jim

I can't make this one the Consumer Electronics Show is in Vegas this weekend, and my buddy that got the tickets wants to go on Sat. I hope you guys that show up find something,you might want to take your space rock with you, somebody just might be there that can tell you if it is indeed a meteorite, I got my fingers crossed that it turns out to be one!

Waiting to hear your trip report on this trip, it should be a good one, have a great day down there!

Rick

Jim what are you driving ?? I may get the time to run down there Sat. don't know yet. Then I'll know what vehicle to look for. If I come I'll bring a Franconia for you to compare

Hi Frank!

I will be in a white Dodge Dakota 4x4 with campershell. Antennas sticking out all over the place! I do have a Franny!

Hope to see you there!

Jim

ps...you can view my Franny here:

http://d11cga.no-ip.org

Aloha,

Seeing that it wont be in the 40's I will make the best of the weather and get my butt in gear and head on out to Franconia for a change of pace. I will also be bringing my sd2100 for a test run, but I will be bringing my gmt for sure so I will be keeping an eye out for you guys. If you see a blue jeep wrangler with a black top being driven by some old guy then it most likely will be me.

I will also bring a couple of specimens i found out at franconia for you to compare them with what you have found out there. You will definitely notice the difference when you start to compare them against each other.

I will keep an eye out for the antennas but will also have my frs radio on channel 11 tone 0.

Aloha and see you out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

PS: I sure hope frank can make it out there so I can pick his brain on the sd2100 and its features.

Jim an Stan, well so far it looks like I will be making it down there on Sat my neighbor is comming with me to get some miles on his new shoes , er oops I mean detector. He doesn't get up early for anything ( not nuggets or space rocks He's retired LUCKY DOG ) so probably won't be there till 10 am or so.

Just as well it will have a chance to warm up a bit wind shouldn't be bad on Sat either. I'm ready for a whopper :zip-lip: gotta think outside the box.

Jim an Stan, well so far it looks like I will be making it down there on Sat my neighbor is comming with me to get some miles on his new shoes , er oops I mean detector. He doesn't get up early for anything ( not nuggets or space rocks He's retired LUCKY DOG ) so probably won't be there till 10 am or so.

Just as well it will have a chance to warm up a bit wind shouldn't be bad on Sat either. I'm ready for a whopper :zip-lip: gotta think outside the box.

Stan, Frank and all,

Sounds cool!:thumbsupanim

Once you get on the North side, just head East. If you know where all those dirt roads are, I'll be in line with about the third row.

There is a nice little parking spot in a wash. I should be leaving here about 0645 and will be arriving about 0815hrs

If any of you have an H6 Chondrites, I'd sure love to see the inside of one. I'd also like to see the inside of an L3-6 too!

So far, from the list:

Stan

Frank

Frank's Friend

Wendy

Jim

Wendy will bring her weathered Danby candidates for you guys to look at.

Heading for Quartzsite today...

Jim

http://desertsunbun.no-ip.org

I'm not going to be able to make this trip guys. Good luck hunting, may your detector sing your favorite song.

Here are a couple of photos from our last trip.

A special thanks to Rick for letting me use one of his detectors, he thinks my is too old, and he may be right. What a cool guy. And to Jake for putting up with me over the years. What great friends.

Me... DSCN0389.JPG... Jake ...DSCN0384.JPG

and Rick. He didn't have time for a photo,

he had some hunting to do, bye Rick. lol....DSCN0385.JPG

Hello all.

Frank C. invited me to join in, and I always enjoy my time with him so I will be there also.

Older Suburban. Gray and maroon 4 X 4. (still has mud on it from Griffith Rd a few weeks ago)

Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Patrick in Havasu.....

Aloha Gang,

Yep, I will be heading out pretty early so I can hit a couple of geocaches on the way to Franconia. I also saw that someone hid one near the old mining road on the west side of the strewfield so i will definitely hit that one for sure. Keep an eye out for a blue jeep with a black top.

Will be bringing my gmt and my sd2100 so hopefully Frank can give me a couple of pointers on using the minelab.

See you all on saturday.

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

My Report!

Well, for those that did not make it, you missed a perfect day to be out hunting. It was a little cool in the morning but Wendy and I soon found ourselves shedding several top layers of clothing. No clouds, a very slight breeze at times and the desert is turning a little green.

Not 5 feet from our truck I found a 50 cal link. Unfortunately for us, links and 50 cals were all we found for the day. We did collect some other rocks I have some interest in.

Frankc arrived a little later with two friends and hunted the general area Wendy and I were hunting and it was good meeting all of them. I did get to see Frank’s Gold Basin bolder he found a week or so ago! Awesome!

I hooked up with Stan on the radio. He and Jason were hunting the Northwest side and man-o-man did they do good! I’ll let them tell that story. Stan, that video did not make it when my camera died.

Wendy went back to the truck early and met Patrick there. Come to find out it’s a small world as Patrick’s girlfriend and Wendy know each other.

So eight hunters out spending the day in Franconia on the North side! And, I did see dust from vehicles on the South side as well! It was a good day!

I made it back to the truck a little early so that I could move locations and meet up with Stan and Jason. And I had never been on that side of the area. They were both about three quarters away from the trucks when I arrived so I hunted a little there as they were making their way back to the trucks! We met up and it was good seeing Jason and meeting Stan! They did good this day!! We all watched the sun set and left together, all worn out from a good days hunt. I think today I am going to rest!

Looking forward to their stories!

Jim

Jim, the world is even smaller than you think. My GF's name is Wendy also.....

And you are right, it was another perfect day in Arizona.

If you are interestd in 50 cal's, I have an extensive collection I can let your have for a VERY low price..... :hahaha:

Patrick in Havasu.....

Aloha Guys,

Oh yeah, what a day! I just woke up a couple of hours ago after a nice 13 hour nap!!!:thumbsupanim

I met up with Jason at the end of the old mining road waaaaaaay north. He found a nice piece west of where he was parked and I found an iron about forty feet from my jeep. I continued hunting and found only a small 9.4 grammer. Jason found a couple of nice looking specimens out of the "known" strewnfield area. So who knows what else may still be waiting for some lucky guy to just swing his/her coil over them.

We finally left and hit the "flats" about halfway back to the main road. After about 30-45 minutes I took a short cut through some boulders and was rewarded with a nice 147 grammer just sitting between a couple of big rocks. My ankles took a beating from all them rocks but it was definitely worth the trouble. Seems like I have been finding more specimens just sitting on the surface in between the rocks than I have been on the flat clear areas under some dirt. Does this mean that no one is checking the rocky areas. Cool!!!!! More for me!:thumbsupanim

Finally hooked up with Jim and Wendy along the old mining road and sat and traded stories and watched the sun go down in the west. What a great day and an awesome sunset to boot. It finally got to be too cold for this guy and we all packed up and drove out in the dark. Will definitely be going back to the general area again to scope out a couple of areas I saw that needed a coil swung over them.

Great meeting you Jim and Wendy and take care of that dog of yours.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Nice goin Stan tried to find you an Jay but could'nt.

I was with 3 others only 1 of them scored 2 stoneys and an iron. I met the infamous skunk at Franconia again.

However this morning I took my other half to the Basin and she scored her 1st ever space rock a 65 grammer with thumbprint and fusion crust nice piece. I got a smaller piece 9 g.

Wow! Nice score. Stan, if you found a 147 grammer with your 2100 I'd say that's a heck of a way to break it in. Thanks for the report.

mick

Aloha Mick,

I still dont have the confidence needed to take the sd out into the field yet so my GMT takes the credit for this one. Love that GMT, dont think I will ever get rid of her!:thumbsupanim

Looking forward to getting out to Gold Basin maybe next saturday to try out the sd and see what it brings home for me tho.

Aloha and be safe out there.

Stan aka Ka'imi

Nice going guys, I wish that we could have been there, but we were hunting the Consumer Electronics Show , and that is a all day project. They had some neat stuff, there this year, 3D TV's and the note tablets were the big thing this year. This year I didn't find the Garrett booth, but they were there, just to much to see, and not enough time in the day!

Jim here is the big question of the day that you left out of your report, did your space rock turn out to be a real space rock? If you guys are going to do a Gold Basin trip, please post so maybe we can get a group together...!

Rick

//snip//

Jim here is the big question of the day that you left out of your report, did your space rock turn out to be a real space rock? If you guys are going to do a Gold Basin trip, please post so maybe we can get a group together...!

Rick

Wendy's rocks are still maybe's. They will make good meteor-nots if not as they have some experts calling them maybe's. The are probably too magnetic for being an "L" and they do not have enough flakes to be H4-5's and no chondrules to speak of. I have not seen an H6 yet to compare. I hope to see some from the same fall in Tucson next month.

So for now, good conversation pieces.

Here is something else I found interesting....

I brought my little Canyon Diablo iron with me and we did the detector comparison thing back at camp. These show and tell sessions are very informative, btw. My detector just did one loud squeal passing over this. With Jason's irons he found that day, it made two squeals. Why would these sound much different???

Cheers!

Jim

Would the size make that sound difference? Jason's iron's were really small relative to the Canyon Diablo.

When I run my mono coil over a small target I sometimes get a zip zip or double squeal. A lot would depend on the size of the target and the size of your coil and if it's a mono or a DD. As for the Danby lake finds, better pics would make it easier to see the window you cut in the stone. I hope it is the real deal.

Stan, the GMT is lighter than the 2100 and with all the "trip hazards" and ankle busters at Franconia, the lighter weight may be welcome. Either way, some day you need to just go for it... Congrats on the find.

mick

Jim I sure hope that it turns out to be a space rock, and Tucson would be a great place to find out if it is.

Wendy's rocks are still maybe's. They will make good meteor-nots if not as they have some experts calling them maybe's. The are probably too magnetic for being an "L" and they do not have enough flakes to be H4-5's and no chondrules to speak of. I have not seen an H6 yet to compare. I hope to see some from the same fall in Tucson next month.

So for now, good conversation pieces.

Well folks, I finally downloaded my camera and had a spare moment to upload the pics. Here are the Franconia's I found hunting on such a wonderful day. The weather was great and yes it is, as Jim stated, starting to look a little green. I put in some miles down there and had a great time hunting with Stan, and chatting with Jim and Wendy. Here are my finds, with the flatter piece weighing in at 17.7 and the second piece weighing in at 26.1 gr. All in all, a great day to hunt the field and work off some of the holiday bulge. Enjoy and keep looking down, Jason. ;)

DSC07323.jpg

DSC07326.jpg