Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

silvervortek

scorpion stings/ old timer cures

just having a post on the bees i work a lot at night during the hot summer months and i encounter the black and sand coloured scorpions. they seem to love gathering around the hot fine gravels coming out of the dry washer.

will bug spray keep them from crawling up the leg of your jeans.

what do you do if you get stung.

is a centrepied sting bad and what do you do if you get stung/bitten from a centre pied.

i have came across mohave greens but luckily for mei had a shovel in my hand and cut them in half before they could strike me. that wouldent have worked with the 7 foot western diamond back i literally stepped on until i heard his rattles WOW that was an awakening i wont for get that sound in a hurry

if any body knows good cures or deterrents for these sorts of critters please post the info

Meat tenderizer-monosodium glutamate- will take the sting out of bees,ants and such critters. Down on the farm Grandpa forced my foot into a steamy pile a cow crappola when I was a kid and pain ended right quick like. I've read honey works too but never tried yet????John

I have been stung many times on the hand while drywashing, they are somewhat pissed off after being dug up and tossed onto the grizzly. They usually get me when raking the rocks off with my hand to separate from the dirt.

I have never had one crawl on me a purpose or up my pant leg as they are in a big hurry to escape once exposed to the rays of the sun.

Sting is much like a wasp or hornet sting and quite painful at first, but if you are not allergic to bees etc. it shouldn't be a big deal.

Friends of mine stung by scorpions say they experience a metallic taste as if they were sucking a mouthful of copper pennies for a day or two. All the ones I've run across just want to back off and be left alone. As for centipedes, I had a real monster situated on a wall over an entryway at my house. I decided to calm the daughter's "EEOOWWWW"s by demonstrating how old Dad had the situation under control. Yeah, right. Stupid me, I took a single sheet of tissue paper, folded it over once and then proceeded to "capture" that reddish brown hundred legger devil. My intent was to release it back to nature. I no sooner made contact when I was hit by an electric-like jolt that traveled from my fingers right into the core of my armpit. I seem to recall the hair on my head frizzing and crackling... Well, it seemed like it at the time. My inner eye also had a momentary peek into another dimension -- the kind I remember experiencing back in the 60s after eating some weird mushrooms. Needless to say, I dropped that critter like a white hot rivet. As soon as he hit the floor all hundred legs [which seemed like they were an inch long each, but more likely only half of that] revved up took off and I thought he was going to run right up my pajama leg. The daughter was tap dancing her way atop the couch while simultaneously doing 360s and itching her body all over like it was coated in ants. She also was screaming like a firetruck siren for Mom to come help Dad who himself was writhing around on the floor kicking and checking all his orifices. Jill calmly swept the beast out the front door with a broom just snickering to herself and shaking her head. I get creepy crawly flashbacks every time I think about this incident. So I'm ending this here and getting a shot of that soothing, tan liquid that cracks the ice so well.

My Dad always used to take a cigarette apart, put some tobacco in his mouth and chew on it for a second, then put it right on the sting and tell us to hold it there. Don't know if it was psychological or if it really works, but to this day I still use the same remedy and it helps take away that burning-electric shock feeling pretty quick. - Terry

post-22152-0-47171100-1294165974_thumb.j

Most pharmacy's have ointments and liquids for these little critters...WalMart carries

a small bottle of "sting-eze"...just rub the bite with the applicator tip and in a couple

of minutes some of the pain is gone....Repel also has one called "skeeter stick"...if

you can find a small tube of Preparation H that will work also...works good on dentures

that hurt also....blisters on your feet or hands from digging nuggets...and honey will

get rid of the poison also if she's close by!!!

I have two friends that have had BIG centrificalpeds scamper up under their levies. Talk about dance lessons! Those guys put on one hellava strip tease dance.

For scorpions tobacco is the best. If you chew a little up and apply as a poultice it really helps. It dilates the blood vessels or some darn thing. It really works. Wild tobacco has about 100 X the nicotine as the chewing/smoking variety and is what the locals use for just about everything. I use that now that I stopped chewing Copenhagen. Be careful though, becasue chewing wild tobacco will kill you pretty fast and chewing Copenhagen will kill you pretty slow. Scorpions just make you stronger.

If you can take Benadryl it would be wise to carry a few just in case. There are scorpions in Sonora that will wallop you. My ex wife can tell you a story about one that almost killed her. If you begin to swell up or have a bad reaction then Benadryl will help a lot until you can get to some help. Even if you arent allergic Benadryl will help any bee sting, plant rash, allergy or itch.

Centipedes will bite too but I have had dozens crawling on me and in my clothes and I never have been bit. There are many 6-8" here and I have them everywhere. The feed on the fungus of rotting wood and organic stuff just like scorpions. The old Mexicans say they will get under your skin and crawl around. They will hide in your pants all day while you go about your business and then come crawling out and go across the floor while you are eating dinner. They give me the creeps.

Mosquitos and gnats have ruined more outings than all other insects, reptiles and mammals combined. You can scare a snake away with a stick but a cloud of black gnats will take your ears and eyebrows before you can get away. And where I live the mosquitos are so thick you can feel them hitting the back of your throat when you breathe hard. If you dont have the right clothing and repellent you simply can not exist. A scorpion will sting the hell out of you but it goes away and no harm done. You wont even know you have a kissing bug in your bedroll or backpack until he bites you a half dozen times. Kissing bugs and mosquitos are nasty and will make you sick if they bite you. I read somewhere that mosquitos kill more people each year than cancer and heart attack. And a half dozen biting flies will piss you off so bad you will hurt yourself.

For all stings and bites the Mexicans use raw beans crushed up and chewed, then spit out. Sometimes they chew up the beans with tobacco. Beans have a bunch of alkaloids in them and I could see where it might help "draw out" poison.

thanks every one for the replies, it great to know that the scorpion stings arent life threatening.

The bee sting doesent bother me much but in georgia they have black hornets and yellow jackets which pack a punch in their sting/ but i have found the siliva and tobacco works well to ease the sting.

i believe the tarantualas are harmless enough/ shortly before the weather cooling down i used to encounter a few of them every night i think the vibration from the dry washer seems to draw their curiousity.

thats a bit less to worry about.

i have had close one with mohave greens on 2 different occasions in which they fell out of banks i was digging/ they were more redish in colour they take on the colour of the red clay their in. luckily i had a shovel in my hand on both occasions and i struck faster than they did. but in general i believe in live and let live with the critters in the desert.

That was a great story Micro, i read it twice and it cracked me up both times :yuk-yuk: For as many times as i've been camping in the desert i havent had many close encounters of the stinging kind, although once while sleeping in my Kot-Tent i had a dream i got bit by a white spider and i flicked it off me and later that morning while cleaning the dust and dirt out of my sleeping bag a white spider crawled out, so i guess it wasnt a dream after all.

That was a great story Micro, i read it twice and it cracked me up both times :yuk-yuk: For as many times as i've been camping in the desert i havent had many close encounters of the stinging kind, although once while sleeping in my Kot-Tent i had a dream i got bit by a white spider and i flicked it off me and later that morning while cleaning the dust and dirt out of my sleeping bag a white spider crawled out, so i guess it wasnt a dream after all.

I was down in Baja spearfishing for grouper many years ago. I had spent three nights on a small boat and was happy to be camping on land the fourth night so I could stretch out my legs and sprawl a little.

During the night I felt something crawling on my face. I instinctively slapped it in my half sleep. At that point I felt what seemed to be an alligator biting me on the eyebrow over my right eye. I slapped it again and it ran for the nearest cover...my right nostril. I proceeded to beat the devil by using both hands in rapid fire "left- right" punches to my face. All the while this thing was clawing and scrambling to get up my nose.

After a half dozen blows to the head the critter scrambled down my neck and into my sleeping bag. I gave it to him willingly. It turned out to be a large white spider about the size of a 50 peso coin.

The next morning I had a great big lump on my eyebrow and my right eye was sealed shut with pus. I had two black eyes and my nose was swollen and blue from the pummeling. I looked like a bar room brawler that had got the fuzzy end of the sucker. By the end of the day all the hair had fallen out of the right eyebrow and the spider bite was open and oozing.

For the next three or four days my dive mask leaked becasue the swelling had disfigured my face so bad it no longer fit tightly. It took that bite a couple of weeks to heal and the hair to grow back on my eyebrow.

I suppose the moral of the story is to beware of white spiders. Or dont let them crawl up your nose, one of the two.

That, Bedrock....is freekin hilarious!!! You go to work on a spider and end up dottin yer own eye, the dang thing was tough as nails! Great story. I wish I had started the post I was thinking about earlier "The best screw-ups" that one is up there, i'll start that as a new post next week I am sure an adventurer like you has a few more up his sleeve.

Jeeeez, Bedrock, I'm still wiping coffee off my screen. After I read this to Jill I had visions of all the neighbors dialing 911. Funny!!!

Dang Bob what an ordeal... :tisk-tisk:

Seems quite funny now...

No giggles during though...

Tried to crawl up you nose.. :yikes:

:yuk-yuk: :yuk-yuk: laugh laugh I thought I'd die :spinnin: but probally not for the reason ya'all think. Pain,agony,swelling and such BUT :whoope: didn't stop a dredger from the fever though :ROFL: great stories guys-tons a au 2 u 2-John