Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OldSalt

Problems with Bees

Gents,

I have been having problems with bees in the desert while using my recirculating system. At first I thought they were after my water, but I noticed that they were also all over me and my equipment when the ground was still pretty moist. I am starting to think that maybe it is the "Jet-Dry" that is attracting them. Any thoughts on this theory and any solutions as to how the keeps the bees away?

Gents,

I have been having problems with bees in the desert while using my recirculating system. At first I thought they were after my water, but I noticed that they were also all over me and my equipment when the ground was still pretty moist. I am starting to think that maybe it is the "Jet-Dry" that is attracting them. Any thoughts on this theory and any solutions as to how the keeps the bees away?

Just as a possibility give them something else to think about like hanging a bee feeder a little ways away.

Old Salt I think they're after your sweat and the salt in it...or else they think

your sweet as honey!!! Down here I use a good repellant...a liquid that I rub on

with my hand on the exposed areas of skin....the stuff here works wonders....

Something that has worked for me in the past is to place a few containers of laundry bleach near you. Something like a shallow saucer or two.

You can also add some to your water if you wanted to, although it might attack your pump?

Patrick in Havasu.....

Just as a possibility give them something else to think about like hanging a bee feeder a little ways away.

I thought about filing an old bowl with grape soda or something like that and placing maybe 50 yards from where I am working. Not sure if it will work.

Old Salt I think they're after your sweat and the salt in it...or else they think

your sweet as honey!!! Down here I use a good repellant...a liquid that I rub on

with my hand on the exposed areas of skin....the stuff here works wonders....

Do you know the name of the repellent?

Something that has worked for me in the past is to place a few containers of laundry bleach near you. Something like a shallow saucer or two.

You can also add some to your water if you wanted to, although it might attack your pump?

Patrick in Havasu.....

Patrick, I filled a spray bottle half way with bleach and the other half with water, and it didn't seem to bother them much. Maybe 100% bleach?

I dont know that there is any cure for bees being attracted to water in the desert. Even a drop of perspiration will get them buzzing around.

If your really want to scare the bees then start biting them. When word gets around in the bee world that the humans bite then they will all be afraid of us and keep away.

Otherwise use a little citronella and go about your business as usual. It will only get worse as the weather warms into spring and summer.

Just like good whiskey, no chaser needed. (With REAL GOOD whiskey, there isn't a chaser that can catch it anyway !!)

I used it straight.....

Patrick in Havasu.....

Out east of Twentynine Palms I've run into bees occasionally. I leave them alone and they seem to leave me alone. It does get a little dicey when they number in the hundreds or thousands and they are sitting all over the damp tailgate carpet covering where I'm doing my panning. What you don't want to do is get them antagonized. They seem to understand when I gently push a group away from the edges of my little wash tub. But they also can sense when your movements become hostile. I can tell when they are beginning to get aggressive by listening to the increased pitch and intensity of their humming. When several go airborne it clearly is time to back off before they form a "swarmation" pattern [flying wildly in a tornado-like swirl]. They calm down rather quickly, getting back to sipping up water for their hives. Bob Dunkin watched me do this from a distance once as he has some issues with bees. We had been camped in the same spot for about 5 days. Each day greater and greater numbers of bees showed up. By day four or five their numbers had grown dangerously large and there seemed to be separate colonies represented in the mix. They are not nocturnal, so if your water usage can wait until dark, no problema [except for the flying night critters that then descend on your lantern light]. Yellow jackets, or "meat bees," are a much worse problem than the honey bees as they are very anti-social. Jill and I always set out meat bee traps some distance from our camp sites. They really like apple juice and drown by the dozens trying to escape from the trap after gorging themselves. Their stings are much more painful than a honeybee's.

Don't mess with the Beast!

My kid just walked under a eve that had some Africans in the mix.

This is two days after the fact.

Benadryl up the wazoo.

They GO for the eyes! He got nailed at least 12 times on the face and head.

The Vet sead he was lucky.

They blinded a dog and all but kill a older gent here last year!

paulbee2.jpg

I like micronugget's attitude. I've always gotten along with bees in the desert. I'm one of those people that aren't bothered by having sweat sucking stinging insects swarming on me. I do not like them in my tent/vehicle/trailer however. They tend to get confused when they can't find their way home and a confused bee is a dangerous bee.

My solution is simple and entirely effective. First rule- do not swat or run! To convince them to leave- spray windex type glass cleaner (ammonia works too but is not as effective as the blue stuff, must be the "ammonia D" :rolleyes: ). The little suckers flee at the first whiff of the stuff. If they come back spray again. Two hits of the blue stuff and they fall dead and turn black.

Once in New Mexico the bees had been building around the panning bucket for a few weeks. There were several hundred winged visitors at any given time. I imagine we were the main water supply for them during that dry fall. Things were good between us until a large swarm showed up and decided to establish a new colony on our rig. Three minutes of spraying the cheap version of blue glass cleaner and the whole squad moved on with no ill feelings, despite over a hundred dead bees littering the camp.

clay

MinerDiggins

I like micronugget's attitude. I've always gotten along with bees in the desert. I'm one of those people that aren't bothered by having sweat sucking stinging insects swarming on me. I do not like them in my tent/vehicle/trailer however. They tend to get confused when they can't find their way home and a confused bee is a dangerous bee.

My solution is simple and entirely effective. First rule- do not swat or run! To convince them to leave- spray windex type glass cleaner (ammonia works too but is not as effective as the blue stuff, must be the "ammonia D" :rolleyes: ). The little suckers flee at the first whiff of the stuff. If they come back spray again. Two hits of the blue stuff and they fall dead and turn black.

Once in New Mexico the bees had been building around the panning bucket for a few weeks. There were several hundred winged visitors at any given time. I imagine we were the main water supply for them during that dry fall. Things were good between us until a large swarm showed up and decided to establish a new colony on our rig. Three minutes of spraying the cheap version of blue glass cleaner and the whole squad moved on with no ill feelings, despite over a hundred dead bees littering the camp.

clay

MinerDiggins

HOLD ON TOO YOUR POCKETS FOLKS...... IM COMMIN TO THE RESCUE, In the first place what kind of Bees are they? (Im a beekeeper) If there honey bees..get a quart jar,fill it up half way to the top with sugar then shake vigeriously (w / lid on) if its not raining..put into small shallow plates

About a Hundred yards away from your dig.....Problem solved !!! Now if its raining, Poke holes in the lid of the jar ( Pin Sized ) Place on a rock in the creek, away from the ants, Make sure the bees can land safely. in some cases it can also work for yellow jackets....goodluck.

post-21939-0-92226100-1294109352_thumb.j

HOLD ON TOO YOUR POCKETS FOLKS...... IM COMMIN TO THE RESCUE, In the first place what kind of Bees are they? (Im a beekeeper) If there honey bees..get a quart jar,fill it up half way to the top with sugar then shake vigeriously (w / lid on) if its not raining..put into small shallow plates

About a Hundred yards away from your dig.....Problem solved !!! Now if its raining, Poke holes in the lid of the jar ( Pin Sized ) Place on a rock in the creek, away from the ants, Make sure the bees can land safely. in some cases it can also work for yellow jackets....goodluck.

Let me get this straight... dry sugar on an open plate will attract them that much? That is a great idea

id imagine youd mix the sugar with water.

i have encountered swarms of bees in the desert and they know my truck as soon as i pull up or dawn breaks there buzzin around.i run my dry washer pay dirt through a sluice i bring with me and it can be a battle to get to the sluice. it can be a bit worrysome with clouds of them hovering around you knowing that they are essentially mixed with the african killer bee and they can become agressive very quickly when provoked. i have only ever got stung once and thats when one flew inside a hole in my jeans and i was afraid i might get stung in an uncomfortable area, so i squished the bee and he stung me on the leg.

right away i got a bit of tobacco and mixed it with a bit of siliva[spit] and held it over the sting for a few minutes and the sting went away. the siliva and tobacco works great. especially on hornet stings. or yellow jackets.

i bring a garbage bin lid with me and throw a few shovelfulls of the mud from the sluice and a little water to keep it from drying up i place that about 10 yards from where im working and the most of the bees flock to that so long as i keep a drop of water on the mud they love it/ im going to try adding a little sugar water to see if that draws them all.

swatting at them doesent work and only makes them more agressive/ i have had to leave a few days in the summer when the swarms got too large and agressive it the swarm attacked me and i got a lot of stings i would never make it out of the desert in time to get help. but in general i seem to get on ok with them but i know when its getting to dangerous to hang around, you can see when there getting too ancy and the safest thing is to get well clear of them/ plus i have the truck near by and if i needed too i can get into it in a hurry and it pays to keep your windows closed if you ever had to seek cover in a hurry.

if one got many stings i once use to use an over the counter asthma inhaler [i cant think of the name of it now] but the inhaler contents was mostly hydrenelinen and a few puffs of that would help stop one going into felactic shock [i dont think felactic is the right word, i will have to look it up on the net] and buy some time to get help or get to a hospital.

Gents, really great info, and I'm going to try a combination of the things suggested. I will post again after my next trip, and let all know how it went.

Let me get this straight... dry sugar on an open plate will attract them that much? That is a great idea

Whoops....I forgot to mention somthing,after upon filling jar with sugar half way,you then add water the rest of the way. Then shake vigerously (w/lid on)

Now that probley makes more sence. Trust me it will defiently work. I do it all the time,Especially when Im removing bees from somebodys house.

Killer bees love sugar too!!! I've dealt with them as well. Good luck my friend....

Whoops....I forgot to mention somthing,after upon filling jar with sugar half way,you then add water the rest of the way. Then shake vigerously (w/lid on)

Now that probley makes more sence. Trust me it will defiently work. I do it all the time,Especially when Im removing bees from somebodys house.

Killer bees love sugar too!!! I've dealt with them as well. Good luck my friend....

Has anybody ever heard of ''STING KILL'' Go to Walmart ,,It'ell be in the pharmacy section...Its really cheap..5 capsels for about 2.00 bucks.

This stuff is Fantastic, it works on all types of venom,Honeybees,Yellowjackets,bald faced hornets,and some types of ants,and even Scorpions,and Spider bites!!

I use it all the time. HH. Tor

Has anybody ever heard of ''STING KILL'' Go to Walmart ,,It'ell be in the pharmacy section...Its really cheap..5 capsels for about 2.00 bucks.

This stuff is Fantastic, it works on all types of venom,Honeybees,Yellowjackets,bald faced hornets,and some types of ants,and even Scorpions,and Spider bites!!

I use it all the time. HH. Tor

Isn't this just an little ammonia pen? I carried one in my pack and it leaked ammonia all over the place. I never got a chance to try it out on a bite.

Not the same Bedrock bob...These capsels must be broken. then the oitment seeps into a thick swabb(leak proof) Best stuff in the world !!! NO WORRIES''

Did'nt I say...''Trust Me""...I'm a beekeeper not a Moderator :yuk-yuk:

Isn't this just an little ammonia pen? I carried one in my pack and it leaked ammonia all over the place. I never got a chance to try it out on a bite.

Don't mess with the Beast!

My kid just walked under a eve that had some Africans in the mix.

This is two days after the fact.

Benadryl up the wazoo.

They GO for the eyes! He got nailed at least 12 times on the face and head.

The Vet sead he was lucky.

They blinded a dog and all but kill a older gent here last year!

paulbee2.jpg

Holy crap Homefire! I just saw this post. I had read an article that there have been attacks. A woman in Berino was stung really bad too.

I know of several attacks in the last ten years or sow in the Rio Grande valley.

I hope all is well.