Nugget Shooter Forums

GPS Help

Sam, I guess it depends on your level of experience and tech savvy-ness. I use a Garmin eTrex Legend, basic and pretty simple to use. Most GPS's nowadays have color and that is a nice feature. Wal-Mart sells mine on-line for $103, which is not a bad price for a good dependable GPS. However, there are better units out there, you just need to shop around and decided what you want or like about a particular style, unit or brand. Jason ;)

I've used Garmin, Lowrance, Magellan products over the years. When I bought my kids GPS units a few years back, it was Garmin. And, I have a Garmin in the truck, in my boat and carry a Garmin in the field. There has been a time or two that I have walked the "black" of a Wildland fire and have used them to calculate the area of the fires. I have come to trust the Garmin units.

The Lowrance units I've used were in AM General Humvee's and they worked very good as well. However, at the time, they were being provided to us...free by Lowrance.

The Magellan units I've used were of the marine varity.I've help people set up the little handheld units. I always just preferred the Garmins.

Regardless on the unit you decide to use, pay attention to the type of batteries it uses. Make sure it matches other types of batteries you use. For example, my GPS, and my FRS radios all used AA batteries. So the NiMH rechargable batteries make sense for me and save me from buying batteries all the time. The battery type is something to consider.

Cheers!

Jim

Thank so much Jim and Jason

Very good advice - have a great New Year - the big one is out there.

You never know what you will find. A friend from the rock club found

an entire petrified palm tree right here in Lake Havasu sitting a few

hundred yards from the highway (95).

It made the most beautiful jewelry.

By the way Jim - I'm just up the road - you are always welcome.

Sam :thumbsupanim

Thank so much Jim and Jason

Very good advice - have a great New Year -//snip

Sam :thumbsupanim

Sam,

I forgot to mention. I use the Garmin Rino 120 for my GPS in the field. This is a good little unit and also doubles as an FRS radio and a tracker. If others in the field have this unit, periodically after a transmission it will sound your position with a burst of data. The other Rino's in the field can then look at their GPS map and your position will appear to them. Kinda of cool but no one seems to ever have these, so it's been a toy that I have not used much. Now, Garmin makes a good little GPS and such but they did not get the transmit audio right on these units. The transmit audio quality on this unit is terrible. Still, beings how it does double duty, you can lighten your load you pack around. And, IMHO, ounces matter. I often look at my gear to try and figure out how to lighten the load. At the end of the day, it's worth sheading weight! It lasts about 7 hours on 3 AA batteries. I think you can pick these up at about $150 if you shop.

Cheers!

Jim

I prefer Garmin GPS units generally. Their eTrex is a very good GPS receiver that is inexpensive as well. I'm shy of the Rhinos as I don't want a radio and GPS combined for various reasons. I'm guessing you want a hand-held unit for use in the outdoors, rather than the vehicle mounted one to navigate city streets, etc.

Magellan, Lowrance, Bushnell also make good GPS units. Some have lots of bells and whistles, some are basic, some can download maps and routes and etc. from your computer, some don't. Depends on what your skills are with the computer and if you want to invest in the software to do that. I chose not to.

Each maker has several models with advantages and drawbacks. I suggest you spend some time deciding what you want to use it for and what you want it to do, then research and find a make/model that does what you want at a price you can live with.

Whatever you get, remember to take a compass and map with you whenever you go into the backcountry, and learn to use them well.