Nugget Shooter Forums

A girlfriend of mine wanted to go dig up some rocks, and we met Sunday past for some 4 wheelin/rockhounding. I decided to take her to my super duper secret spot for some digging ,and hopefully come up with some Amethyst clusters. :inocent: :ph34r2: I dug in some of my usual spots without much luck so she took off behind the hilltop to hopefully uncover her own finds. :brows:

A while later I went to check on her. She says I need you to look at some rocks I found. Well wouldnt you know it :hmmmmm: , she had found a few nice looking clusters of Amethyst with Smokey Quartz crystals. :brows: Well she did great ,and I was impressed with her finds. We dug that area out for the remainder of the day.

Here is a pile of pictures of the better specimens recovered.

Lots of amethyst crystal clusters/ or amethystine, Smokey quartz crystals, Phantomed and not, some with spirit quartz?

post-1117-0-78962900-1293847648_thumb.jp post-1117-0-90655200-1293847666_thumb.jp post-1117-0-50779600-1293847690_thumb.jp post-1117-0-71890700-1293847711_thumb.jp post-1117-0-99185100-1293847820_thumb.jppost-1117-0-86084500-1293847734_thumb.jp post-1117-0-68040000-1293847757_thumb.jp post-1117-0-82298200-1293847780_thumb.jp post-1117-0-65713200-1293847801_thumb.jp post-1117-0-01525900-1293847839_thumb.jp

Hi Adam-

What a trip! As usual - some more terrific finds... It's also nice to have a girlfriend who actually likes to dig rocks. You're lucky.. That's something I could never find.

Thanks for posting.

Steve

Nice finds Adam. I can't see any skunks hangin around you. You sure have it wired.

I wonder how many single guys out there are thinking if your girlfriend might have a sister.

Bill C

Really nice finds for sure. On cluster almost looks like there is some citrine points too....... Keep that spot secret for sure

You guys crack me up.....Im glad I didnt post her picture as it would have had like 1000 hits and maybe caused a a problem with the server :yuk-yuk: Thanks for all the comments though! A couple of those smokey ones really turned out nice, I was actually pleasantly surprized.. They have to be soaked in Oaxalic acid for 24 hours or so to get some irony mud stain off of them.

The road back to the spot has deteriorated to a condition Im not comfortable with. A combination of serious slant and large wash outs may prevent me from going back. I dont know ...we`ll see.

Heres something cool ...Last night I started soaking a couple pieces in Oxalic again, and awoke to crystals that had grown on the specimen. They look like selenium/gypsum...They grew sporatically over the rock... check them out! I dont know if something precipitated from the rock or what! :hmmmmm: :shrug:

post-1117-0-71877700-1293990186_thumb.jp post-1117-0-67570400-1293990202_thumb.jp

What do you think?

Adam-

Looks like you might have had a supersaturated solution of oxalic acid when you first started soaking the specimens. Then as the solution started to cool, the crystals started coming out of it as it approached room temp. Same principle is used when growing rock candy... Just a guess... :shrug: :hmmmmm:

Steve

That must be it Steve, That night I mixed it in hot water then set it outside to soak. The rest of the pieces of amethyst are cleaning up real good. :brows:

Adam-

Post some pictures when you are done cleaning them. Would like to compare the before and after photos.

Browsed through your collection again on Mindat. My favorites are the botryoidal malachite and the twin quartz scepters. But all of them are really nice finds. Wish I was in AZ instead of this mineralogical boring state known as Missouri. :cry2: :shrug:

Steve

Sorry Steve but the ones in the pictures were already cleaned. I have been cleaning several pieces of amethyst since, and im all done with the flat.

That malachite is pretty nice , its from the "Planet" group of mines in western AZ. The Law twinned Quartz is from a now closed location due to private developement.

• 2 weeks later...

Steve I never really combine the two diciplines in the same day. But like in Quartzsite, AZ you can do both there so I might detect one day then rockhound the next. I kinda like focusing one one thing at a time.

While in the area near the border down by Duquesne,AZ I never even saw any illegal activity, and would hunt there on my own quite often. It was always rather peaceful really.

• 1 year later...