Nugget Shooter Forums

The Lucky Strike Gold and Gem mine...

Hello All,

My husband and I would like to try panning for gold the next time we take a trip down to visit my elderly father in Florida. I had been doing some searching on the internet for any public mines somewhere in the locations between Nebraska and Florida.

I realize that the best locations are on the west coast and up in Alaska, but since our travels take us to the east coast, I'm trying to find the best "hot spots" if any.

After reading all the expenses that need to be paid up-front...ie...pans, equiptment, buckets for $10-$15, Nugget bags $25-500...OMG! (I need to find out the difference between these and buckets)

So I have 3 specific questions:

1) Has anyone on these forums panned for gold here...if so, did you find enough to pay for expenses and then some...worht your time, so to speak?

2) Although I realize we are not going to make thousands of dollars in the 2 days we'd like to spend there next year, but is it still out of the realm of possibilities to at least pan enough to have $100-200 profit after all expenses are paid?...or am I dreaming like trying to win the lotto? We're just trying to help pay for the gas and expenses to visit my Dad in Florida...especially when gas will be up to near $5 by the end of 2011 :(

3) Is there any other public mining location worth stopping at other than the one in North Carolina?

Ok, back into reality...guessing if it was that profitable, everyone without a job would be panning for gold there...big sigh. Any insight would be greatly appreciated...TIA :)

Susan

Being a pay as you go mining claim, I would assume there is gold there.

How Much Gold? We don't know.

I would not go there expecting to make money. Even Professional Prospector can't know if there going to make money over a couple of days.

Being a pay as you go mining claim, I would assume there is gold there.

How Much Gold? We don't know.

I would not go there expecting to make money. Even Professional Prospector can't know if there going to make money over a couple of days.

Hello Homefire,

I appreciate your reply...thank you :)

Thanks for keeping me grounded in reality...just trying to find a fun way to keep the painful of the expense of our trip to a minimum. Since we live in Nebraska, the only thing to even bother to use a metal detector for here are meteorites... boorb

Hello Susan,

I too was bored in Nebraska,with my Metal Detector. But it turns out that there are afew places in Nebraska

to look for gold. Gold has been found west of Kearney on the Platte.Mostly very fine stuff,but some people

have found pickers. Also there have been some gold coins found along the missouri river in nebraska. But most

of them around Big Lake,Missouri. Which is where I will be headed in April.There has been some gold found in

Iowa,Ok,Arkansas,and Tennesse.And you most likly know that the beaches down by your dad,have all kinds of things.

And there is gold in Georiga too.You can find all this stuff on the internet, but it takes alot of time.Yes you might

not get rich, but then again. It only takes one right find, and I hope you do.Good Luck on your travels.Bret

in both helen Georgia and Dahlonega Georgia there are good gold areas some pay to play areas.

up in Helen you can pan on the Chatachoee river and there is gold in that there river, there is an active gold mine in the town of helen. but im almost sure you pay for the pay dirt. the town is modelled after a german town its beautiful up there and mid week yoll get a deal on a mountain log cabin.Its lovely up there ye will have a great time and eat some barbecue ribs in the restaurant that overhangs on the river there to die for lol.

Dahlonega has a gold musuem and active mines and claims and its a nice mountain town. helen is nicer though.

north carolina has gold areas too.

GPAA has claims in georgia you should research that they have a good web site too.

i drove a silverado from atlanta to vegas when gas was $4 a gallon/ my wife had a blazer between both vehicles we spent close to $1000, i have me doubt youll make that on buckets of pay dirt on a day or two panning.

Another place to look at is in Lineville, AL called Alabama Gold Camp. East Central AL over towards the GA border. They have a campground at the site. equipment to rent so you can try highbankers or dredges, very friendly folks. check them out at their Yahoo Group. Would not go their expecting to get rich but you may find some of the gold stuff.