Nugget Shooter Forums

The Hunt - Franconia DEC 28

Tuesday's hunt proved to be an enjoyable day in the field for most.

I began my hunt at 0800 hours, returning to the area on the North side where I found my first space rock a few weeks prior. While hunting, I am always looking up searching my surroundings and to my surprise I see another hunter working his way up a small incline. We waved and started working toward each other. Turned out it was Jason! He had already found a 50 cal!

The day continued that way, like I was a lucky charm! Any time Jason would get within 25 yards of me, he'd find something! We talked a bit and made a plan to hunt toward the North and West. We coordinated our FRS radios on Channel 8 and off we went. I had not received Jason's previous email about using channel 1-1. More on that later.

During the hunt, we were wondering where all the others were. We had not seen anyone else.

As I was working my way up the side of a hill, I spotted another hunter to the West about 1000 yards out. It looked as if I continued my direction of travel, we would tie in about a 1/4 mile further. I had only spotted 1 hunter and did not know there were more.

About an hour later I met up with Jake. He told me that Rick was over there and Roger was over yonder. I spotted Rick on a ridge about 1/4 mile west. All of them were on the FRS channel 11. I called Jason on channel 8 and we both moved to channel 11 and everyone started working toward each other...or so we thought! Never did see Roger! So now 5 of us were out there hunting. Pretty good turn out!

We all met and shared some information and tested out our detectors on some gold, an iron and a chrondrite. Jake appeared to be having issues with his Garrett detector. It would not see the iron! As a newbie, it was good to see how the different detectors reacted in the field. Once again, we all made a plan and everyone took off in a different direction. It was agreed that channel 11 would be the Franconia FRS channel and Rick mumbled that it could be Gold Basin too! So if you are out hunting and have an FRS radio, use channel 11 and who knows who might be out there! Why channel 11? Jason had sent out an email that I did not get and that Rick misunderstood. The email said to meet on channel 1-1 which meant channel 1, tone 1. Rick thought it was channel 11....so it just stuck. Sounded good to me!

The hunt continued and someone jumped on the radio and mentioned we only had about an hour and a half of daylight left. I was a few miles North and Jason was about the same distance North but more West than me. We were both a ways out there! So, I turned around and started making my way back, knowing I would not make it unless I started double stepping! I stopped for a short break, drank the last of my water and called Jason on the radio to see how he was doing. He was okay and heading back.

I arrived back at the trucks first and got my gear off and ate some food. That cup of coffee sure was good! I had only found a small piece of metal the whole day, so while waiting for Jason, I decided to grab the detector and head for a local hill near the tracks.

I was up there about 5 minutes and found a 50 cal link! Gosh! The detector does work! Then, I get a call on the radio, it's Jason. He has the trucks in sight. I turn around and see him working a hill as he heading in.

Overall, a good day. Weather was great, a bunch of good folks to hunt with! I was a tired puppy! I arrived home, greeted by my wife stating the Meteorite Men Marathon is on! Need I say more!

It was good meeting Jason, Jake and Rick. Had lots of fun!

Cheers!

Jim

Jim, glad all went well an you enjoyed the day but where's the "BEEF"???

I mean whats the tally, count, ya know the "finds" ??

Franconia is a tough nut to crack its great to see what surfaces for the hunters.

I have a good map of the strewnfield I need to make more copies as I am out of them so I can pass them on to interested parties.

Jim, glad all went well an you enjoyed the day but where's the "BEEF"???

I mean whats the tally, count, ya know the "finds" ??

//snip//

Hi Frank!

Well, my "beef" was one 50 cal link, two staples and some strange looking piece of metal. Oh, and I picked up a plastic bottle and an old can to help keep the area clean!

Respectfully, I am not sure it's appropriate for me to share what others found, but I can say I sure skunked out! :tisk-tisk:

I did take some pics! I am hoping the others, once they read this thread, will share their stories! And I know we can all stay tuned to a new video from JayRay in the future!!

I have two different maps of the strewn field and all the kml files I could find with the overlays of the Sacramento Field and the Franconia Field.

Cheers!

Jim

Sounds like a great day in the field, even if you got skunked. The worst day prospecting I've had was just great, never had a bad day. A lot like hunting game, never had an unsuccessful hunt, but didn't get an animal many times.

I can't wait to go there and learn how and what to look for. If you want to share a Franconia strewnfield map, I'd sure like to have one. PM me for mailing address and etc. and if you want something, $$, for it, let me know.

Well the hunt went according to plan, we started out Monday night with a post on the spur of the moment trip to Franconia, and as luck would have it I got a response from Jayray, that he was going down there too! We had planed to hunt the north side of the field, and didn't see anyone parked over there, when we got there, so it was off to the north, after we got set-up!

The three of us split up, and then I got a call that Jake ran into Jim and Jason, and they were over on the next ridge, so after spotting them, we were all going to met up down in one of the washes, and compare notes as to what we found.

When I got down to where I saw Jim,and Jason, I was surprise not to see Jake or Roger, after I introduce my self to Jim and with a little small talk Jason came over, I got the great news that Jason had is good luck charm Jim, with him and he had already found one iron and a chrondrite. Things were looking up, after all there were now five of us out there looking.

Jake got to were we were standing and the talk now went to what Jason found, and he wanted to show everybody what kind of reading they would get on their detectors!

Jim was saying that he had a hard time that morning reading a Gold Basin on his Gold Bug 2, so when we made one of Jason's, a throw down, Jim's Gold Bug picked it up right away, zip,zip, nice sound!

Jake's Garrett would not pick it up, which I found kind of strange, as it has picked up one of my small throw downs from Gold Basin.

So now we had some shop talk about the different detectors we were using while waiting on Roger to show up. The one thing that I got to say to Jason is he pulled out his GPS and showed us the we were standing right in the middle of where he has found a lot of Meteorites.

For him it wasn't a great guarded secret, I knew the area we were in was good because good of old Mr. Lucky Stan, found a big meteorite the last time my wife and I was hunting with him in Franconia, we had all stopped to take a break , when Mr Lucky “Stan” looks down and said gee, I think this is what we are looking for, and picks up one the size of a hard ball!

He did the same thing to me down at Gold Basin, 10 ft away and hear zip, zip. It's always fun when you are right next to someone who finds one, it sure makes your day to know that if you put in the time you stand a good chance of finding one too!

Getting back to our day you have to met Roger, to know that there was no way that he shouldn't have been to where we were, when he heard us on the radio. Roger loves to talk and is great if you want to find out any information about anything!

Well the sun was going down as it was getting late in the day, so we made the decision to get back to hunting! Thanks for the information Jason and jim and it was great meeting you guys, I had been looking forward to the day that I would run into Jason, I think I had met him a few years ago down at the camp site on one of the hunts, but when I retire, I found out that something happens to your memory, and I think It might have had to do with the time he spent over seas serving our country, and a couple of years that went by!

Thanks for serving our country Jason, and what can I say now that he is now teaching school, my hat goes off to him, anybody that does that, especially in Vegas, he is a special person!

Well our big find's for the day turned out to be some 50 cal's and trash, but we all had a great time, out in the field. For the three of us it's a great way to get out in the fields hunting, we shared the gas because the economy is in the tank, and there is no work in Vegas, Roger and Jake work in the construction industry! So it helps to get rid of some of the stress walking around out in the desert, looking for that big find of the day even if it was just a 50 cal, sure did put a smile on Jake's face when we got back to the truck showing them off!

It's not always about finding anything, some times it's just being out with good friends!

Nice seeing Jason and Jim we hope to see you guys out in the fields again, PM me anytime you want to head anywhere! Now if I could just find a lucky charm, I might find that big one that is still out there, with my name on it!

Rick

Howdy gang, so I decided to a last minute hunt down at Franconia and give my best to find that big one. I met up with Jim, and Rick, and friends to hunt the field. It sure is getting harder and harder to find meteorites down there, and the trash is starting to thin out as well, but then again, trash is a good sign. I usually come back with lots of trash, more that my fair share, but this time I only came back with a pocket full. The usual .50 cals, .30 cals, fine wire and a stray piece of lead here and there. Jim and I linked up about 8 am and decided to use our radios to communicate, which is always a good idea. My miscommunication to Rick, had them on channel 11, instead of channel 1, sub net 1, but in the end it all worked out. I found a small piece of chondrite as the first find, then an iron right next to one of the cut roads. Then all of us, minus Roger, met up and chatted a bit about meteorites, gold, and general metal detecting stuff. After a few minutes of chatting and burning daylight, we went out separate ways. I decided to hunt an area that produced some small pieces before and gridded the area. I found one more small piece, then another. While filling in the hole and preparing to leave the area, I swept the area around the dig, and found sitting on the surface, an unusual suspect rock. It sounded off on the detector, like a GB, but didn't look like a typical Franconia. Today, I decided to get it cut to reveal it's mystery. It has less nickel and iron than a Franconia, and might be a Buck Mountain Wash 003, but too much NiFe for a Palo Verde. The weights are .1, .2, .6, .9, and 38.3 grams respectively. All-in-all a good day hunting and meeting up with fellow metal detecting enthusiasts. Thanks again for the conversations Jim, and nice to meet you Rick, and Jake for the first time. Hope to hunt again, and find the really 'Big' one. Jason ;)

DSC07319.jpg

5 pieces for a day at Franconia is tits on the ritz, It is a tough nut to crack making finds there.

My outlook has changed in the past year on hunting the area. WW2 relics and trash are usually available but to capture a solid find takes alot of work and a little luck. I've only been back there once since the memorial outing get together for Jim Smaller last year.

I am going back there in the near future with a different plan for the hunt and Uncle Marvin as a guide.

it Sure was cool meeting up with you guys. Jim and RayJay couldn’t of been nicer

I expected it to be colder but turned out to be a beautiful day to wander the desert looking for space rocks

and finding a few .50cal’s to show the wife means maybe I’ll justify a better detector if work ever picks up again

Until then I just like hiking around out in the desert with friends I had a blast

Howdy gang, so I decided to a last minute hunt down at Franconia and give my best to find that big one.

//snip

Jason forgot to mention a very kind acthe made, making some young meteorite hunters very happy.

After the days hunt we were all tired. We drove out of there with light on as it was getting dark. I drove past a vehicle full of people heading into the hunt zone and kinda wondered why they were out there that time of night. Jason was behind me a ways and he ended up stopping these people to ask them what they were doing out there. He ended up finding out they were out hunting meteorites with magnet sticks. They were on a family day trip from Phoenix.

Well Jason pointed them in the right direction and showed them what to look for as the kids thought everything they were picking up were meteorites! He left with the two kids two NWA 869 samples so they did not go home empty handed.

THAT WAS AWESOME JASON and my hat is off to you for doing that! :wubu:

Jim

Aloha gang,

Sounds like you all had a great time out there. Got to remember the channel 11 thing for the future as I whenever i go, it is alone and i dont really see anyone out there. Or maybe it is because I am not looking for anyone and am too busy keeping my eyes on the ground. Got to pay more attention to my surroundings!

Jason, that piece you found looks just like a couple I have in my collection. Nothing big just a 17.5 grammer and a 12.3grammer. Ever wonder if they might be a seperate fall and that the "big" one is out there? I found one on a ridgeline and the other half way down the same ridgeline. May go back now and use my sd2200 to grid off an area just for the heck of it and see what I find.

Looks like i wont be going out there until mid january at the earliest tho.

Aloha and be safe.

Stan aka Ka'imi

BTW: Hey Rick, I still end up actually walking over a piece or two while hiking to a hunting spot. One can really get into the zone if he is hiking alone and only listening to the wind and occasionally some Cruxshadow goth music on my mp3. Oh yeah, my niece had downloaded some pretty awesome music on my mp3 without me knowing. Sneeky little devil!mad0229[1].gif

Ed when you get down this way to hunt Franconia I'd be glad to pass one on to you.

Thanks, Frank. I'm looking forward to gettin in on the Franconia hunt in March.

Sorry I missed you Jason and Jim, I was east, three hills over near the bottom of a wash. My radio wasn't picking you up very well, I wasn't always getting a reply to my transmissions, so I wasn't sure if you guys ever met up. I only heard bits and peaces, sorry you waited on me. Believe me, I would have loved to have met you and seen your finds and picked you brains. This is my 6th or 7th trip to Franconia and I still haven't found the first meteorite yet. I feel like a big loser, :grr01: lol

Especially after Jayray's nice find for the day and in the same area we were in. Well... I'll find one somehow, :wah2: I'm not giving up. I need something like Marvin to bring me good luck. I look forward to meeting everyone someday. :thumbsupanim

Next time Rick and Jake.

I can't believe how beautiful the weather was, it was perfect. I was wearing a Tee shirt in the last of December. Eat your heart out all you people up north. :ROFL:

Happy Hunting :cigar:

Roger

Roger, persistance pays off. Slow and low is good for gold, but down there, you need to cover a lot ground to find them. I got lucky with one of the irons. I looked at the area and said, "Where would be the easiest place to look or the most common", and sure enough there was the iron. Sometimes, they are in plain sight. Keep looking down, and don't give up, it just takes a bit of practice and patience down there. Jason ;)

I feel like a big loser, :grr01: lol

Especially after Jayray's nice find for the day and in the same area we were in. Well... I'll find one somehow, :wah2: I'm not giving up. I need something like Marvin to bring me good luck. I look forward to meeting everyone someday. :thumbsupanim

Next time Rick and Jake.

I can't believe how beautiful the weather was, it was perfect. I was wearing a Tee shirt in the last of December. Eat your heart out all you people up north. :ROFL:

Roger,

I did hear some of your transmissions and on my return trip to the truck, I tracked your tracks for a short distance so I knew where you had been! I was 1 hill away from you to the West and about 1 mile North before I turned around. Those FRS radios are very much line of sight. The MURS radios would work better, but cost more and most folks do not have them.

Yes the weather was great. The next day however, was bad! While returning from Bouse (AZ) I noticed a lot of snow on Crossman Peak and that entire mountain range! The wind blew like crazy and it sure was cold!

I was lucky with my first find. If you read some of the books, it looks like anywhere from 30 minutes to 800 man hours for a find. Franconia has had some very good hunters go over the entire area over the years, so what is left out there really has to be earned. Yes, Jason was finding them left and right! I had the opportunity to see him find two of them and hold them immediately after the find. The first iron he found was the first time I have ever seen one up close! :rolleyes:

Jim

Thanks guys, I know you have to keep at it to find something. I know the two strewn fields have been explored pretty good over the last 10yrs. It's getting harder to make a find. Thanks for the advice.

Metal detecting is not new to me, I bought my first detector in '84 up north in South Dakota, I did mostly gold, coin, and relic hunting.

I want the big ones.. ha-ha-ha, Rick, Jake and I are looking for new strewn fields in the desert, can't be any worst than what we're doing now. lol

Anybody want to join in on cold finds?

Happy Hunting

Roger

Roger, a metal detector is good for a debris field, but if your trying to find a new area, then use your eyes and magnet cane. The detector will slow you down too much. Study, study and study some more to help ID the meteorites and away you go. I need to do the same thing, but having three kids and demanding job as a teacher, takes all my time right now. I had more free time while I was in the military than now, go figure. Keep looking down, Jason. ;)

Hard to find at Franconia is CORRECT. But....this past season when we had our get together this turned up, I'd hate to get bonked in the head with it thats for sure.

JUST goes to show ya their still there waiting for someone with PERSEVERANCE and a little luck. It don't hurt to bring Uncle Marvin Camping either He loves getting out of his Ship once in a while.

post-562-0-84923200-1293846262_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-24179500-1293846573_thumb.jpg