Nugget Shooter Forums

Sluice attempt

bigrex

Thought you might enjoy this...so, I'm trying to build a sluice this winter. Here are a few pics of the progress. Kind of a make-shift operation, but hopefully it will do what it is intended to do. It's based off of a design that uses deep v-ribbed matting on the bottom overlain by miner's moss and three sizes of expanded metal. I also plan on adding a pvc pipe lined with neodymium magnets to the front end and a couple brushes meant to reduce bubbles on the water surface. After that, a trash pump, suction/discharge hoses and pvc "plumbing". The area I will be working has a few ponds, but not much else in the way of water. On the last 24" of the sluice there are two layers of air conditioner filters, backed with wool felt for the last 12", that's what is pictured in the last photo. Hopefully that will catch the finer gold. Miner's moss is used for the first 36" and ribbed matting runs the full length.

Sluice.jpg

sluice1-1.jpg

flume2ii.jpg

Thanks for the compliments, I guess the reason I call it "make-shift" is because I used thinner aluminum that I was able to get at the hardware store and bent it by hand or at least without a metal hand brake. I used a 2x4 board, my hands, a hammer, and a flat shovel. So, as you can imagine, upon close inspection you can see the effects of my methods. I decided to reinforce the sluice with thicker aluminum slats pop-riveted on the top of the sides so it would also be more rigid and straight. The underside sits on a board of 3/16" thick plywood which has more aluminum slats pop-riveted to it and wrapped around the flume. Due to the length of the flume I also had to construct it out of a couple sheets of aluminum and the caulking type filler adds to the "make-shiftiness", but hopefully it will hold up for a few seasons.

I'm with Bill... Who cares if its got some dents or isnt factory, fact is you made it, that in itself makes it cool. If you need to bend aluminum in the future heat it with a propane torch, it will bend easier with less hammer hits. Finding gold with something you made is twice as good!!! Great job Biggie.

Thanks again Bill and Bucket,

I'll try to shoot a little video footage. Planning on having at least a couple cousins join me this time, maybe for a three day trip in spring.

I gotta ask,....

Why do you have one end of the sluice blocked off with a wall? :huh: :unsure:

Hi Steelpan,

I plan on only using a pump with it, maybe it's technically a high-banker. I will either cut out a circle on the end for pvc pipes and a hose or clip an attachment to the end there. The place I visit most often does not have enough running water to support a regular sluice. I guess it would have been better to make it easily convertible to a regular sluice, yet most of the gold bearing streams in the area are too low most of the year around here.

hi big rex, deadly sexy sluice.

i sluice in the desert where i bring a hundred plus gallons of water a weekend for sluicing. i have a 5 foot jobe stream sluice i turned into a re circulating sluice. that sluice takes 2400 gph pump to keep everything running through the sluice except the gold and black sand. my sluice has the fine ribbed rubber mat at the start of the sluice and i find it mighty it catches all the gold except for small nuggets which usually stop in front of the blade of the first riffle or sometinmes you find a picker sitting on the flat surface of the riffle. on the rare occasion i find a picker between the first and second riffle. i dont think i have ever found anything farther down the sluice.

i will change my sluice to smaller riffles and i will lengthen the amount of fine ribbed mat down to about half way down the sluice and the second half of the sluice i will fit the miners moss and mesh and have them on the quick release system.

i find clean the sluice often especially if your getting good gold. my sluice is set up on a swivel that i can tilt the sluice sideways at a 45 degree angle and that makes it simple to flush the gold and black sand easily out of the rubber mat and out into a small container thats 90 percent of the gold i get. i give the miners moss a quick wash. i find have the sluice set up so that you can clean it quickly and get back to sluicing.the mesh and ribbed carpet for me only catches 10 percent and i might try to replace ribbed carpet with larger ribbed mat under the mesh it would make clean up even quicker.

for me the battle is keeping the water cleaner as its gets muddy very quick and once the water gets heavy with mud it will carry the gold out of the sluice. you have ponds of water are the big enough to keep the sluice going long i think you will encounter the muddy water. check out sluices on line and the quick release clips, i made a few sluice proto types and i baught the jobe sluice for $110 and making home made sluices i spent a few hundred dollars and for me i had wished i went out and baught the jobe thream sluice first. i baught a second hand keane 151 dry washer and i swear by it.

when i started first with home made sluices and wasnt getting much gold i was all the time wondering if it was my gear that wasnt working right /now i know that if im not getting gold i need to move to a different area to try to get lucky im not blaming my gear. thats just some of my personal experiences and again im only a novice at gold prospecting. check the jobe yellow jacket sluices out, id love to get one of those hopper boxes.

Hi Steelpan,

I plan on only using a pump with it, maybe it's technically a high-banker. I will either cut out a circle on the end for pvc pipes and a hose or clip an attachment to the end there. The place I visit most often does not have enough running water to support a regular sluice. I guess it would have been better to make it easily convertible to a regular sluice, yet most of the gold bearing streams in the area are too low most of the year around here.

O.K., that'll work. ;)