Nugget Shooter Forums

Degrees/Miles

Steel Pan

Degrees of latitude are parallel so the distance between each degree remains almost constant but since degrees of longitude are farthest apart at the equator and converge at the poles, their distance varies greatly. Each degree of latitude is approximately 69 miles (111 kilometers) apart. The range varies (due to the earth's slightly ellipsoid shape) from 68.703 miles (110.567 km) at the equator to 69.407 (111.699 km) at the poles. This is convenient because each minute (1/60th of a degree) is approximately one mile.

Degrees of latitude are parallel so the distance between each degree remains almost constant but since degrees of longitude are farthest apart at the equator and converge at the poles, their distance varies greatly. Each degree of latitude is approximately 69 miles (111 kilometers) apart. The range varies (due to the earth's slightly ellipsoid shape) from 68.703 miles (110.567 km) at the equator to 69.407 (111.699 km) at the poles. This is convenient because each minute (1/60th of a degree) is approximately one mile.

Thanks for that! Didn't know that bit of info yet...

There are 60 nautical miles per degree of latitude, by definition. One nautical mile is equal to one sixtieth of a degree, generally referred to as a minute. At the equator there are 360 degrees around the earth, or 21,600 nautical minutes/miles. One sixtieth of a degree of longitude at the equator is roughly the same distance [in meters or feet] as one sixtieth of a degree of latitude. However, because the earth is not perfectly round when measured across the poles, the actual distance of each degree of latitude is ever so slightly different from what it theoretically would be if the earth were a perfect sphere. Thus, map-makers try to be uniform by adopting internationally accepted distances. They use an average measure of latitude measured at 48 degrees north, which comes to 1852 meters or 6,080 feet. The rotation of the earth is the reason it bulges at the equator and is flatter toward the poles. A nautical mile is 1.15 times longer than a statute mile [which is 5,280 feet]. The devil is always in sorting out those niggly little details and imperfections of geographic reality.

I've worked it out and I get the distance to be measured is .02, or 2/100, or 1/50th of a degree.

The footage is 7260, or 1 3/8 miles. ( aprox. 1/50th of 1* )

Lets say I'm standing at 38.29.37* lat.

How do I add 7260 feet to that?

Do I use 60ft. per min.? if so,.....

That would make it 121 min., or 2 hrs. 1 min. 00 sec.

Add that to the 38.29.37*,

40.30.37* is what I come up with.