Nugget Shooter Forums

Stupid question of the day

Hello Gents;

I recently bought a 2200SD. It has a straight shaft, and the handle has a button on the tip of it. I have read several posts in the past that alluded to the Gold Button, but I do not know what its purpose is.

Would someone here enlighten me as to its reason for being and its proper use?

Thanks very Much!!!!

Thats a handy add-on to the detector. It is a quick track button so when you have the "fixed/Tracking" toggle switch on the control box in "Fixed" position, depress the button and you are now tracking or ground balancing. Stay in Fixed most all the time, and depress the button when you need to ground balance , I do this every 5 minutes or so.

Hey Paratrooper,

The gold button handle is just an extension of the "fixed/tracking" switch on the control box. Basically you can use the switch or the handle in any mixed fashion. The button handle is meant to be a ground balance button, and in order to use it properly the control box toggle must be set to Fixed. Then when the button on the handle is depressed you are then "tracking" or ground balancing during the time it is depressed.

Weather you hunt in fixed or tracking depends on the ferosity of the soil, but most people i would assume hunt in fixed mode.If you hunt in tracking ,all I can say is that if you get a signal on anything , immediately switch to "fixed" so you dont balance out the target.

And boogfhu, any manual for the SD2200 will not talk about a ground balance handle because it was never a factory part for either the 2200D or the 2200V2

A great video by Doug Stone on how to use the 2200 can be found here: The video applies to the SD2200 or the SD2200V2 as they seem to be principly the same machine, though I think the V2 may have the edge with newer technology.

http://www.mlotv.com/view/623/minelab-sd2200d-advanced-instruction-video/

I see now what you're doing . You push the button down effectively putting the machine in TRACKING . You pump the coil , let the button up while still pumping the coil . A few more pumps and you are ground balanced and in FIXED . I guess I didn't follow the logic . I would have thought to wire it in the opposite . If you hunt in TRACKING and come upon a target you would depress the button (putting it in fixed) , circle the target area so as to get a fix on the ground right there and then pass over the target as many times as necessary and not lose the target to TRACKING . I have a 2200 and I start to GB in FIXED and switch to TRACKING if I think I need it . Otherwise I just GB and hunt in FIXED since the ground here is mild .I have a Minelab Field Guide that pictures the GB sequence with it in FIXED and move to TRACKING while pumping . If you download the manual it shows it that way (beginning on page 20) . What am I missing ? I've had guys show me and never got the same instructions twice . So I go with the following .

Turn it on . Set THRESHOLD and TUNE . Hold it waist high and parallel to the ground with the coil perpendicular to the ground going in a slow circle finding the spot where the most interference is . I then lay it down just as it is and push the TUNE button and wait for the 3 beeps . (BTW , the CHANNEL BALANCE is BOTH , AUDIO BOOST is in "N" . In All Metal and Balance Mode is in FIXED) .Pick it up and begin to pump the coil . When it levels off I either stay in FIXED and am ready to go or switch to TRACKING while still pumping . Then do the LEVEL ADJUST . This works for me BUT I am ALWAYS looking to learn so if there is a flaw in my method I MUST know it . That machine is a trial and tribulation to carry and swing . If I'm gonna do all that I want to do it right . Help me .

Tom , you are not doing anything wrong but I will tell you what works for me . I only tune when I need to. If it sounds good then I leave it as is. So many times I have tuned and the EMI got worse during each tune session.

Always hunt in fixed as far as I am concerned

Ground balance often

Channel B

Threshold at just below audible

Audio (normal)

Level ajust at near 12 oclock

all metal mode

fixed tracking

Ya pretty much. I just dont like it when I re-tune and it winds up worse than it was :yuk-yuk: If its nice and quiet then I dont mess with it. Lets not forget the Goldscreamer Amp, that thing is loud ...

Adam,

Thanks for the info there on the tuning button. I have another question about the coils that came with my machine. One is an 11" round Mono coil. That is easy enough because it says "MONO" on the coil. The other coil is an 11" round SD series SUPER GOLDSEARCH coil. Is this a mono as well or is it a DD coil? Which coil do you use the most with your 2200D?

Thanks so much!!!!

Hello boogfhu,

Please understand that the ground balance button, and the tune button are two completely different things.

As for the coils , I wouldnt know, however I would guess that the second one may be a DD coil. I heard there were ways to tell but I forgot. Maybe someone will speak up on that subject. One of my favorite coils is that 11" Minelab Mono, but I carry other coils for many different situations as well. Alot of coil choice has to do with what kind of ground your on, depth, history, ect. You cant go wrong with that mono, its a great coil.

11" DD coil will be heavier than a 11" MONO .

Thank you for the tip. I also received an amplifier and another little gizmo that looks like an amp, but says that it turns a DD coil into a mono. Does anyone know about that?

That sounds like a problem . If you look at the wiring on both coils it "looks" like the wires are in a different configuration within the coil itself . The DD is wired kinds like a Bigfoot coil . That is to say that the wires are only a few inches apart and go longways from front to back .Imagine an area that resembles the big domed battery that came with it . The MONO has a field around the outside that when activated forms an upside down funnel shape .I seem to remember the product that you are talking about but never got "nitty gritty" with it . It reminds me of the selector switch on my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq . It shows a setting for BLACK SAND . It seems to be able to alter the signal in a way that diminishes it and overlooks much of the interference usually associated with the black sand . It DOES however , take away some of the sensitivity from NORMAL . So suffice it to say that it probably lacks the "shape" of the other coil but takes on many of the characteristics .

Adam,

Thanks for the info there on the tuning button. I have another question about the coils that came with my machine. One is an 11" round Mono coil. That is easy enough because it says "MONO" on the coil. The other coil is an 11" round SD series SUPER GOLDSEARCH coil. Is this a mono as well or is it a DD coil? Which coil do you use the most with your 2200D?

Thanks so much!!!!

Hi Boogfhu: As far as your coils, if it is a Mono it will always say "MONO" on the decal. If it doesn't say "MONO" it is always a "DD".

Good Hunting,

Dick

Hi Boogfhu: As far as your coils, if it is a Mono it will always say "MONO" on the decal. If it doesn't say "MONO" it is always a "DD".

Good Hunting,

Dick

Thanks Mr. Dick

I appreciate your clarification.

Chris

How come you put it on E-Bay ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270685329214&category=14955&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

This machine has promise with the few trick things you got . Anyway , bidding is up to $1100 and in this economy that ain't too shabby . Good luck .

I have my eye on a newer model and am trying to trade up, so to speak. I am a metal detector hoarder(15 years of civil war relic hunting) so I walk a fine line with the missus when it comes to the number of detectors that she says are acceptable for a full grown man to own. I try to convince her that when the detectors are all sitting in the dark in the corner of the closet, and the humidity gets just right that they are prone to reproducing little baby detectors...not sure she believes me :):):)

G'Day Everyone

I'd just like to add to this subject. I asked this question a long time ago and JP offered me a response in regards to DD and Mono. Look at your cable, the mono cable is alot thicker than the DD.

Cheers

Johnno

Auction ended at $1425 . Looks like you'll get your new machine . Good luck .

Thanks Tom,

just gotta get the winning bidder to pay!!!

Chris

Thanks Tom,

just gotta get the winning bidder to pay!!!

Chris

BTW, just bought me a Minelab Eureka Gold. I aim to take it down to the AL gold camp and scrub a little ground. Have you had any experience with this vlf machine??

BTW, just bought me a Minelab Eureka Gold. I aim to take it down to the AL gold camp and scrub a little ground. Have you had any experience with this vlf machine??

The Eureka Gold is one of the best VLF detectors you can get your mitts on. Having 3 frequencies to choose from is a big plus and you should do well with it. Here' my good bud Kevin Hoagland from Minelab with a hands on show for ya...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfWnlngWxYI