Nugget Shooter Forums

Franconia Revisited

If any of you could comment on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv0xOj9d6PA

I would greatly appreciate it. I am having a terrible time with my camera and still pictures are a problem....something between the ears, I think!!

Jim

Aloha Jim,

It's a keeper for sure. Now go back and grid off the area to find the other pieces of thast specimen.:thumbsupanim I would say about 50 feet in every direction, and remember to go LOW and SLOOOOOW!

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Aloha Jim,

It's a keeper for sure. Now go back and grid off the area to find the other pieces of thast specimen.:thumbsupanim I would say about 50 feet in every direction, and remember to go LOW and SLOOOOOW!

Aloha,

Stan aka Ka'imi

Hi Stan!

VERY COOL! :thumbsupanim

Yes, I did 10' circle and then moved on. I will be going back out there on Sunday.

I finally got some pictures so I will post the links to them a little later.

Jim

And what about this one that weighs 226 grams? Not as magnetic but full of Chondrules.

https://k7wfr.us/Fran19DEC2010.jpg

Only leaving this pic up a short period of time for now.

Jim

Hi Jim,

The first one in the film clip IS a meteorite, and like John B. said, it looks like a Buck Mountain Wash. How can you tell the difference from a Franconia? Because the Buck Mountain has a "cottage cheese" texture on the outside. The second, and larger stone in the other photograph doesn't look like a meteorite to me, at least not in this view. It appears like a cellular matrix with some form of silica, not like chondrules. Maybe a close-up macro, and micro photo will show better.

Ben

Hi Sunburn

That's definatly a meteorite. I found several along buck mtns that looked similar, ASU has one of them and I'm not sure which it pairs to. Happy Huntin John B.

It is my understanding that ASU is no longer accepting meteorites due to budget issues based on what it says on their web page.

So what are you guys doing with the information of the find??? Is anyone "officially" collecting this information??? :hmmmmm:

Jim

Jim, one of the past members, Jim Smaller (AKA Paleface, R.I.P.) was mapping the strewn field, but not too sure if anyone else is. I know I plot my finds and keep a record of them for future use and hunting. I go back, probably way too often to some spots looking for areas I missed. I've done this down at Gold Basin and it has paid off numerous times. Congrats on the find. Franconia is getting harder and harder to find stuff out there for sure. We need a new strewn field to pick over... Keep looking down, Jason. ;)

snip.. Franconia is getting harder and harder to find stuff out there for sure. We need a new strewn field to pick over... Keep looking down, Jason. ;)

Thanks Jason!

I enjoy your video's! Well, it's pooring here...something that does not happen too often. My Son in Mohave Valley says it is dumping there as well! So actually, for nugget hunters, this is a good thing as washes flow and new dirt is revealed! I suppose this is good for meteorite hunters too! I suspect washes are flowing at Franconia as they are here. And I suspect all the Dry lakes near by are filling with water. So that's a good thing, I think. Once they dry up enough to walk on would be a good time to be out there!! Maybe a trip to Danby in is order! :hmmmmm:

I did find something interesting in the Sacramento section of Franconia. It's as clear as a bell once you spot it in Google map. It looks like a small crater and the South end of it is tore out a little bit...as if something hit from the North. The berm around this is about 2 feet higher than the center. I have a need to stand in the middle of this and search a pattern around it! It's also not too far from where I found my rock and my rock would be on the correct side of this for splash. Wishful thinking! Weather is suppose to be good this weekend here and the dry lakes will still be soaked!

Jim