Nugget Shooter Forums

San Diego Gold?

Jerry2197

I want to pick up a Metal Detector and start looking around. Are there any good spots to check or start at? I am in South bay ( 54 ) freeway.

I went out San Ysidro Mnt and got a bucket of dirt from a verry small creek bed, I used a dinner plate to pan it out ( i dont have a pan) I ddnt find anything not even powder.

So my question is Where should I start and where can i get a Real pan, (the black plastic ones) Im going to get a meteal detector from Craigs list.

I just want to find a little to get me going full blast, I need a new hobby.

My Dad has a house in Ramona I want to look around there also.

Thanks for any tips!

Jerry

I want to pick up a Metal Detector and start looking around. Are there any good spots to check or start at? I am in South bay ( 54 ) freeway.

I went out San Ysidro Mnt and got a bucket of dirt from a verry small creek bed, I used a dinner plate to pan it out ( i dont have a pan) I ddnt find anything not even powder.

So my question is Where should I start and where can i get a Real pan, (the black plastic ones) Im going to get a meteal detector from Craigs list.

I just want to find a little to get me going full blast, I need a new hobby.

My Dad has a house in Ramona I want to look around there also.

Thanks for any tips!

Jerry

Jerry, I'm not sure about gold in San Diego. However, there may be some up there north east of Ramona. Your best bet is to see if you have any gold prospecting clubs in your area.

Julian is good but alot of private property there, theres a few spots on the backside near banner grade that seem to be at best ok,but theres alot of big rocks to move to get to the dirt, i remember on an old map i got...there was a spot near otay mtn that gold had been found but i never checked into it, not sure about Ramona but hey...give it a shot. Theres a place on University ave that sells gold pans, there another place called Columbia st metal detectors that sells pans,classifiers,detectors picks, new and used detectors and all kinds of stuff but its in Escondido, once you get a detector take it to the beach and practice with it, i take my lobo down there and it works great,some work better than others at the beach, and its great practice.

Julian is good but alot of private property there, theres a few spots on the backside near banner grade that seem to be at best ok,but theres alot of big rocks to move to get to the dirt, i remember on an old map i got...there was a spot near otay mtn that gold had been found but i never checked into it, not sure about Ramona but hey...give it a shot. Theres a place on University ave that sells gold pans, there another place called Columbia st metal detectors that sells pans,classifiers,detectors picks, new and used detectors and all kinds of stuff but its in Escondido, once you get a detector take it to the beach and practice with it, i take my lobo down there and it works great,some work better than others at the beach, and its great practice.

Cool I'll go get a pan tomorrow.

And this old map you are talking about is there any map's that show you were to look?

And what part of banner grade are you talking about..

I'll dig thru my old maps again and see if i can find it,as for the banner grade...i got a buddy who goes there quite often, i will have him point the spot on a thomas guide for me tonight or tomorrow.

"I would be very cautious out on Banner"...Yeah so would i...climbing down the ravine and moving the rocks and classifying all the buckets for how little amount of gold my buddy brings back is brutal, yet he keeps going back week after week. maybe he's loaming :inocent:

Hey Jerry

Look up Whale Mtn in Ramona, it's above San Diego Estates

and is open land, top of the hill you'll find river gravel.

Bring water as it's dry up there. Also try Cottonwood Creek

in Pine Valley on Old 80 a little south of the bridge all the

way to Old Buckman Springs road.

Best Bet is to join the SPMA here's the contact for membership;

Robbie Ellison 858 270 480

Hope this helps!!

Merry Christmas to All

Herb

Hey Jerry

Look up Whale Mtn in Ramona, it's above San Diego Estates

and is open land, top of the hill you'll find river gravel.

Bring water as it's dry up there. Also try Cottonwood Creek

in Pine Valley on Old 80 a little south of the bridge all the

way to Old Buckman Springs road.

Best Bet is to join the SPMA here's the contact for membership;

Robbie Ellison 858 270 480

Hope this helps!!

Merry Christmas to All

Herb

Thanks Herb My Dad lives in the San diego counrty Estates, I will look at Whale mnt.

My dad has lived there all his life he should know where it's at.

He rembers when there was only a few house out in the estates, Long time a go. lol

Thanks Herb My Dad lives in the San diego counrty Estates, I will look at Whale mnt.

My dad has lived there all his life he should know where it's at.

He rembers when there was only a few house out in the estates, Long time a go. lol

Cool Jerry. I also lived in the estates once upon a time. Had a nice condo with a patio that opened up onto the Cleveland National Forest.

A lot of good suggestions here. Banner grade can be dangerous and there is a lot of private land. Be careful. One question...Do you get poison oak? All the spots mentioned are full of it. You'll know for sure once you get out there. :yuk-yuk: If you're not sure where to go then joining a club is a great suggestion. If you have a metal detector than there are some great spots in the desert not far from SD. Keep us posted.

mick

Go here for SPMA club info:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spma2/

That will get you on the right track and hopefully keep you from getting caught trespassing or Hy-grading on Banner grade. Be aware that parking on the road on Forest Service ground will get you a ticket over on Pine Creek road I think they call it, call and ask the SPMA Sec. You have to have a parking pass.

Go here for SPMA club info:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spma2/

That will get you on the right track and hopefully keep you from getting caught trespassing or Hy-grading on Banner grade. Be aware that parking on the road on Forest Service ground will get you a ticket over on Pine Creek road I think they call it, call and ask the SPMA Sec. You have to have a parking pass.

Good point. To park anywhere in Cleveland National Forest, you'll need an adventure pass.