Nugget Shooter Forums

Xmas Toys + Franconia = trip the 26th

Last weekend, made a trip to Franconia. My wife had her magnet stick and I had a GB2. After hunting around for half a day, getting back to the truck, my wife, Wendy, shared her feelings about NOT having a metal detector. So with that, I am just heading out to pick up her Christmas present.....that will teach her!!! Anyway, with the new toys, we will be at Franconia on the 26th if anyone wants to come out and play with their new toys!! You are getting new toys, right??? We will be on the North side. White Dodge 4x4 Dakota with antennas all over it.

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Nice goin Jim I can't think of a better Christmas present for the wife. Especially if she finds some space rocks the first time out.

Good Luck out there with the wet ground you should get into some. Don't forget to post a pic.

Happy Holidays

Nice goin Jim I can't think of a better Christmas present for the wife. Especially if she finds some space rocks the first time out.

Good Luck out there with the wet ground you should get into some. Don't forget to post a pic.

Happy Holidays

Hi Frank and thanks! It is not raining in Parker and I just got back from Quartzsite where it was only drizzling. "If" it's raining on Sunday, we wont go.

Something about this area where the storms seem to stop at the river! We get the wind and dark clouds and the cold but many of the really bad storms just go right over us. The storms out of the North do us in here. My older boy lives in Mojave Valley so I check with him on the weather. Honestly, I'd like to see it rain hard in the area. I'd like to go to Danby Dry Lake after a major storm and see what is brought into view! Danby is not too far from here...seems I got into this hobby late as I seem to live in the middle of all these finds!

I brought my rock I found at Franconia to compare with the known meteorite at the shop in Quartzsite that I visit and the GB2 sounds exactly the same! :thumbsupanim I also brought some hot rocks to compare and all the detectors I tried really liked the known meteorite and my rock! I think that is a step in the right direction! I might add I could not tell that the very expensive detectors did any better than the GB2 did.

We did talk about the streak test and I showed them the coffee cup trick. There were some rock hounds in the shop and they all scratched their heads over the streak test as anything that oxidizes should leave a streak, including meteorites! Hmmm. Would like to hear more about that!!

After I was able to get the cat stopped from attacking the wrapping paper, I now have Wendy's present wrapped. Another GB2! I think...I hope....she will be happy with it.

Maybe Santa will leave a nice meteorite or two at Franconia this weekend as he passes through!

Happy Holidays!

Jim

Jim, you said...We did talk about the streak test and I showed them the coffee cup trick. There were some rock hounds in the shop and they all scratched their heads over the streak test as anything that oxidizes should leave a streak, including meteorites! Hmmm. Would like to hear more about that!!

Yes if there is a coating on the outside you must break through the coating/oxidization till you get to the surface of the rock/meteorite to see the real streak.

In other words some samples you pick off the ground or are buried that you dig up will have a VISIBLE accumulation/coating NOT necessarily completely covering it.

I carry a large old file with me and I take suspect meteorites back at the truck and run them on the file this quickly removes any caliche or mineral coating and allows access to the surface of the sample rock. This lets you do a visual Most all the time you will see nickel flecks shining in the specimen.

By doing this you create a window to view the sample/suspect. Much easier than dealing with streak procedure.

Hi Jim,

Just like Frank said, it helps to make a window into the stone. A Diamond file works well. I personally like to use a sharpening stone. You can get one at Loew's, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, or any knife shop. There are different sizes, and thicknesses but, they all have a coarse side and a fine side. They cut a window into a rock VERY FAST. And........it won't leave metal filings "abraded onto" your suspect meteorite. Check it out.

Ben